Ming Da MC66AE ?
Apr 27, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #16 of 23
I rolled a 12AX7 EH (Electro Harmonix) in Mingda. Seems like the hum is slightly less noticeable.

Newer mind the noise - now the sound is better. Hey, my feet are jumping with the music....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #17 of 23
how good is the MC-66-AE paired with the HD650?
I've seen it demo'ed in a shop in Hong Kong but haven't had the chance to audition it...

May 24, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by smaragd
I've seen it demo'ed in a shop in Hong Kong but haven't had the chance to audition it...

No one?

May 24, 2006 at 1:15 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Never heard it with the hd650, but have heard it described as better than the Musical Fidelity X-Cans.. for what it's worth. I'm not sure what it's worth because I haven't heard the x-cans or know the price even!

That said, its been described many times as being a good match for sennhesiers. Hopefully someone here has a more accurate answer though because who wants to work off second hand info?

May 25, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #20 of 23
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD580's that I use with the MC66-AE so YMMV.

For what it's worth I used to own the Musical Fidelity X-cans and have auditioned the X-Can V3 as well. I preder the MC66-AE to both these amps with my 580's as I find that the MC66 has better midrange purity. I also found that the X-cans a little hard and too forward for my liking. Also I found that both iterations of the X-cans had some hum with these cans.

I now have my MC66-AE with a GE 5751 Blackplate replacing the 12ax7 in the input stage and have found this a worthwhile improvement.

Jun 7, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

I am using the Ming Da (w/Electro Harmonix gold pin 12ax7 for input) w/Senn HD650s. The sound is quite good, for the price point. Great tone, impact, realism, bass not muddy - overall just a pleasing setup. Jazz recordings seem to excel, the most; however, it sounds good w/rock, folk, classical, etc (as well). The only thing I am looking for (as an improvement) is "soundstage" - it's decent, but I think it could be better. There is enough instrument separation, but I want to get more depth and width (some recordings are better than others). I am waiting for my Stefan AudioArts Equinox cable to arrive (for the HDs), which I hear improves the soundstage, quite a bit. I hope this is the last upgrade, for quite a while (although some RCA 6V6GTs for the output may be in order...)

FYI, I am using a Music Hall CD25 player (w/upgraded OpAmps) and VH Audio Pulsar Interconnects...

Good luck!
SL

Apr 29, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #22 of 23
i have had the MC66-AE for a while now, am very pleased with it and have found a good combination of tubes to bring out its warmth and detail

i have a question, does anyone know if this amp is output transformerless?

i dont even know if it's good or bad to be OTL but just sometihng i've always wondered

Feb 8, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by smaragd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I tell you what, I use HD530's (80s phones) that are similar.
And it sounds great.

At least after I did this modification to use NOS tubes rather than 6N6:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/mod...-tubes-294359/

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anyone know if this amp is output transformerless?

If you check the link I posted above, there are pictures of the inside of the amp.
It has two output transformers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back