Midrange possibly open-backed full-sized cans suggestions
Aug 2, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #16 of 38
I assumed it would have been mentioned in this thread, but Canjam London is your best bet, if you can wait until mid-August. There will be a whole selection there - take your Mojo and player and you're all set.

Aug 2, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #17 of 38
Yep, plenty of people who commute to London from Sussex have lost jobs over it during the last year, it's really awful- and dangerous too. As a city boy, I only ever use public transport (or run/cycle at a pinch), so it's a bit of a bugger.

Steve- thanks, worth knowing! A shame that you're the other side of a massive lump of transport fail, your range looks pretty inviting..

Edit: ..and Canjam is right out for me, anyway. I will not long be back from the Edinburgh festival, so my puny introvert brain will be pretty tired of crowds- plus I will have a house guest that weekend, too. It's a good thought, though.

Hopefully the HD650s will serve as a nice reliable baseline (once I get a decent cable, the stock one is so annoying) for the meantime, which means I can take my time discovering anything more esoteric.

Aug 2, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #19 of 38
Very nice, glad you found something you like on the first go around. You have, in my opinion, a setup that is already better than what 90% of people will have in "mid-fi".

In regards to cheap recordings, I hope you source your library in lossless now if you haven't started already, it really does make a big difference.

Aug 2, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #20 of 38
Very nice, glad you found something you like on the first go around. You have, in my opinion, a setup that is already better than what 90% of people will have in "mid-fi".

In regards to cheap recordings, I hope you source your library in lossless now if you haven't started already, it really does make a big difference.

Have you done this blind test: http://lifehacker.com/5903625/mp3-or-lossless-see-if-you-can-hear-the-difference-with-this-test ?

Many people find that high bit rate mp3 is often indistinguishable from lossless. If someone has a high bit rate mp3 collection, I wouldn't encourage them to rush out to replace it with flac or alac.

Aug 2, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #21 of 38
Have you done this blind test: http://lifehacker.com/5903625/mp3-or-lossless-see-if-you-can-hear-the-difference-with-this-test ?

Many people find that high bit rate mp3 is often indistinguishable from lossless. If someone has a high bit rate mp3 collection, I wouldn't encourage them to rush out to replace it with flac or alac.

Interestingly, I have participated in professionally conducted double-blind tests under laboratory conditions, conducted by the R+D arm of a major broadcaster, comparing various lossy codecs; I could tell the difference. I also never want to hear bagpipes again as long as I live.

It was a few years ago, so I could well have forgotten how to listen, and lost some top end in the meantime, but it certainly was possible for me.

Because of the stupid economics of the download market, I often just get physical CDs and rip 'em myself. I have re-ripped a few select albums (maybe fifteen or so) as ALAC since I got the Mojo, just to have a good-quality source for comparisons. I certainly won't be bothering to have everything lossless- sometimes the compression artifacts are the least of a recording's problems. However, I have ripped a decent selection of wildly varying favourites, to see what happened.

Let me just say.. OMG. Pink Floyd's "Dogs". There always was a lot going on there, but.. well, OMG. What a nice time I had with my feet up, listening to that. I think revisiting old favourites is going to be fun.

Aug 2, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #22 of 38
Interestingly, I have participated in professionally conducted double-blind tests under laboratory conditions, conducted by the R+D arm of a major broadcaster, and I could tell the difference. I also never want to hear bagpipes again as long as I live.

It was a few years ago, so I could well have forgotten how to listen, and lost some top end in the meantime, but it certainly was possible for me.

That's why I said "many people" and only "often." It depends on the person, the equipment, and the source material.

But it's good that you have done it. Many people have not.

That's too bad that they made you listen to bagpipes. LOL

Aug 2, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #23 of 38
That's why I said "many people" and only "often." It depends on the person, the equipment, and the source material.

But it's good that you have done it. Many people have not.

That's too bad that they made you listen to bagpipes. LOL

Yes, it was cruel and unusual. The guy who was running the tests seems like such a nice person, too!

(..and yes, it absolutely depends on the person, the equipment and the source material- totally agree. That should almost go without saying.)

Aug 2, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #24 of 38
As a suggestion maybe the k701s or k702s by AKG. I say this in response to your affinity at placing instruments in the sound field. Also the fact that these headphones are middle area sounding in general?

The Massdrop edition too, though I have not heard them. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones

Best suggestion is look around the used forums for an old 2006-2008 edition of the original non-China made AKG-k701s.

In the end, they will not work for all genres, but do your classical really well, if you like the tone.

Aug 2, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #25 of 38
If you are after the "resolution" of an SR-404 and have middle-aged ears that aren't too sensitive to high freqs, among the midfielders (former flagships, actually) of the major headphone manufacturers I'd guess one of the various flavors of AKG K7somethings (there's too many to keep track of :wink: ) or the Beyerdynamic DT880 would be more suitable for you than the Sennheiser HD600, if only because both have a tad more treble energy than the HD600 (which carried the once-upon-a-time famous "veiled or not veiled" debate :deadhorse: ).

Also worth a look is a Grado (it's the headphone worn by the guy beating the dead horse :D , so it must be not-veiled :D ). You don't even have to buy that expensive a pair of Grados, as some say they all sound quite alike, even the cheapo SR60 next to one of the signature editions... the SR60 also come with the comfortable flat pads, to boot :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 2, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #26 of 38

Sorry if my post was misleading, I was making no assertion on the SQ differences between high bitrate lossy vs lossless. OP was referring to the production quality of some of his music, and in my experience a lot of people moving onto their first real setup have yet to graduate from streaming services such as Spotify which often house worse masters or issues when compared to the original CD issue, which is irrelevant to bit rate or file format.

Obviously he already has that covered though. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #27 of 38
I'd take issue with "first real setup" 
smily_headphones1.gif

I have plenty of years using pro and broadcast audio gear. I have generally carried that over and used repurposed dt100 and HD-25 at home, often plugged into 19 inch racks of overkill gear, and I'm trying to mend my ways and be less... industrial in my own living space. I'm trying to pass as a normal person a bit more, using more civilised and socially acceptable home equipment, and you lot are absolutely not allowed to give the game away!

(Not really complaining, everyone has been really cool, and the suggestions were great- totally worth de-lurking, actually.)

Do you walk around with the headphones?

(I only listen on desktop systems so the intricacies of cables don't matter to me.)

Not often, and but even getting settled to listen is a less pleasant experience when you have two spurious meters of recalcitrant plastic cable to tidy away each time. This is especially dull if it ends in a horrid non-unimatch adaptor, which can easily pull out under the weight of said cable if it's not tamed properly. It's precisely because I tend to stay put that I don't want reams of uncooperative cable; it's extra hassle to faff with every time. It's a quality of life thing.

Aug 2, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #28 of 38
Not often, and but even getting settled to listen is a less pleasant experience when you have two spurious meters of recalcitrant plastic cable to tidy away each time. This is especially dull if it ends in a horrid non-unimatch adaptor, which can easily pull out under the weight of said cable if it's not tamed properly. It's precisely because I tend to stay put that I don't want reams of uncooperative cable; it's extra hassle to faff with every time. It's a quality of life thing.

I just plop the excess cable somewhere on the desk and let that be the end of it. No need to complicate things.

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #30 of 38
Update:

I ended up with HD650 and HE400i. Screw you people, you're evil! 

evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back