Mid-Fi Headphone battle
Sep 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #32 of 35
I auditioned the senn momentum, sony mdr1 r today, and the fidelio x1, and they all sound good, sound quality wise,

The x1 is a bit more spacious and i liked the mdr 1r better than the momentum.

:)

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #33 of 35
First off. I'd change the quality of my source. It's not hard to get lossless versions of your MP3's. If the song is less than 320kbs I wouldn't touch it. 

Second I most def would invest in a DAC/AMP (FiiO-E17). Man this thing just transforms the sound into something magical. It gives density to your music. Play with the EQs. 

Lastly while I did love the HE-400 they are not portable. I don't know if this is important to you. You will definitely hear the music on the outside. Open headphones leak..period. The benefit of an open headphone is it's got a bigger soundstage. Now I didn't really understand the concept of soundstage when I got into headphones but shopping around I quickly realized that this is one of the most important things to look for in a pair of cans. generally, Open cans = big soundstage, closed cans = small to medium soundstage. How I can describe soundstage is basically listening to a pair of cans with a small soundstage like the Senn HD-25 (which I owned of a while and really liked) is like listening to an orchestra in a small room. The instruments feel like they are kind of on top of each other. Listening to the same songs on say an HD-600, It sounds like you are in a proper auditorium. Now some will say with certain genre this doesn't matter but i think it makes all music sound better when the soundstage is nice and big.

If you have an apple store near you see how many on this list are available there. They have a 14 day return policy that is amazing. When I was can shopping I took advantage of this. If they have the momentums I say spend some time with those. Those are my current headphones. I find they are a bit hard to drive. Putting them on the FiiO really makes them sound incredible. They are a great all around headphone. Enough bass to satisfy with sophisticated mids and highs.

The forum has been a buzz with these Keff M500. They look sleek as hell. I'm getting them on Tuesday to try out. People seem to like them over the Momentums. 

Hope this helps.

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #34 of 35
Open headphones arent really an option in my settings, i use a xonar phoebus soundcard which i expect would do somewhat better than a fiio,
for portable use i have the UE 600 vi.

I use itunes files which i think are 320 kbps AAC's :)

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #35 of 35
I love the Momentum so much I bought a second pair. They scale up well with amplification. Plus, they look way better than all the other headphones out there. I would not want to be seen in public wearing an HP 50 or a pair of mad dogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back