Mid-Fi Headphone battle
Sep 17, 2013 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Aerathion

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, guys so I was looking for new closed headphones in the 350 or lower price range.
And there's a looooot to choose from. So I've decided to make a poll, where you can vote for your favourite headset to help me choose :3

Now if you vote it would be awesome if you leave a comment stating some:
pro's and con's
If it needs an amp/dac and what it does to the sound.

I currently have a xonar Phoebus soundcard, but I am willing to spend some extra money on an amp or a dac (I don't know if a dac can imrpove the sound over my soundcard noticably)

Now I should note that I listen to Itunes mp3 files, so somewhere the soundquality is going to be bottenecked (I think?)

Now I have listen a lot of headphones, and I know some of them are apples and some of them are oranges, but I wanted to put them in for some feedback since I dont know if they would actually give some more soundquality, even though I use itunes. Oranges are at the bottom :wink:
I have auditioned both the Sony Mdr1 and Sennheiser Momentum briefly, and out of those two I preferred the sound signature of the Sennheiser Momentum, but it was quite brief to tell.

Good luck!

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 35
  Hey, guys so I was looking for new closed headphones in the 350 or lower price range.
And there's a looooot to choose from. So I've decided to make a poll, where you can vote for your favourite headset to help me choose :3

Now if you vote it would be awesome if you leave a comment stating some:
pro's and con's
If it needs an amp/dac and what it does to the sound.

I currently have a xonar Phoebus soundcard, but I am willing to spend some extra money on an amp or a dac (I don't know if a dac can imrpove the sound over my soundcard noticably)

Now I should note that I listen to Itunes mp3 files, so somewhere the soundquality is going to be bottenecked (I think?)

Now I have listen a lot of headphones, and I know some of them are apples and some of them are oranges, but I wanted to put them in for some feedback since I dont know if they would actually give some more soundquality, even though I use itunes. Oranges are at the bottom :wink:
I have auditioned both the Sony Mdr1 and Sennheiser Momentum briefly, and out of those two I preferred the sound signature of the Sennheiser Momentum, but it was quite brief to tell.

Good luck!

Music tastes? What genre? I ask because some of the headphones you listed above are neutral, which might not mix with....let's say Dubstep/Electronic or Rap.

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 35
  I like a broad variety of music, but I have to say 55% rap/hip hop some oldschool too, 2pac, and 40% kpop the rest could be from opera to metal.

Ok in that case, you want a "V" curve headphone, perhaps one with a emphasis on bass. For $350 and below, you could grab a pair of HE400, and you'll love them. Planar magnetic headphones sound great. You can technically run the Hifiman HE400 off even your iPod. Although it scales well with headphone amps, and dedicated DAC's. In other words, if you invest in a good headphone amplifier down the road, HE400 would sound better. If you don't want HE400 I'd have to recommend some type of closed can then. Like a used pair of Denon AHD2000. 

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 35
Here's the HE-400 used off amazon, http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B007ZG32I4/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

That being said, you might find them cheaper on eBay or the head-fi FS forum. 

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 35
I specifically want a closed can, the reason is I live with my parents, and I really like the fact that I can't hear their TV, and they can't hear my music :D.

I dont know how much they actually leak compared to closed, since those don't close out completely aswell, I should state that I have a pair of ATH M50's right now I want to upgrade.

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 35
  I specifically want a closed can, the reason is I live with my parents, and I really like the fact that I can't hear their TV, and they can't hear my music :D.

I dont know how much they actually leak compared to closed, since those don't close out completely aswell, I should state that I have a pair of ATH M50's right now I want to upgrade.

Perhaps the Denon AHD2000 then. If it must be a closed headphone, you can't get much better bass for $350>. Now that I think about it, when I owned the HE-400 it leaked considerably. It sounds like $500 dollar headphones though, and was easy to use with just my phone. I give it props for that. Add the M100's from Vmoda on your list. Those are closed, fashionable, and when I heard them at BB (Best Buy) I didn't almost punch the wall like I did for the Beats Studios. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #8 of 35
Lol, Dalethorn (you might know him) says the vmoda m100's with bass reduction on sound quite good.

And didnt the denon 2000 go out of production? Are the new denons worse?

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #9 of 35
  Lol, Dalethorn (you might know him) says the vmoda m100's with bass reduction on sound quite good.

And didnt the denon 2000 go out of production? Are the new denons worse?

IMO the new Denon's are a joke. They are desperately marketing to the Beats by Dre crowd, and it hurt there business. The Denon AHD2000, can be found used within your budget and will sound good. The Vmoda's are good, and portable, but for home use I personally preferred the already mentioned cans above ^^ 
popcorn.gif

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 35
Okay, what would you add for amp and dac for that, if needed? would a shiit 100 dollar amp and dac be good?

Also I want to add I only listen throught hese for the music, through itunes simple mp3's.
I don't really consider myself a audiofile

Users who are viewing this thread

Back