Mid-Fi Closed Portable Headphone Battle 2012 Discussion V3 [FINAL]
Nov 7, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #91 of 211
It's not anywhere in this thread, but I tried the Monster DNA headphones today at an Apple Store. They actually aren't half bad.
  1. The bass is pretty light for mobile listening
  2. The mids are forward and fairly detailed
  3. The highs sounded a bit plasticky to me, but they weren't bad for a $200 headphone
  4. The build quality was surprisingly pretty good too. It's got a really flexible plastic headband and an OK-feeling folding hinge mechanism.
  5. They were also really comfortable for being a supra-aural headphone (more comfortable than the Amperior from my experience)
  6. The dual-entry headphone ports on either earcup is a nice addition
  7. The baby-blue colour wasn't particularly attractive to me, but they do contrast really well for those who have black hair

I would prefer the sound of the UE6000 even if it's a much darker-sounding headphone because the warm mids are pleasant to one's ear for mobile listening.

I'm really looking forward to hearing your impressions of the K267 eventually BRSxIgnition. Tiësto's music sounds pretty good on the M-100's.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #92 of 211
Quote:

I'm really looking forward to hearing your impressions of the K267 eventually BRSxIgnition. Tiësto's music sounds pretty good on the M-100's.

Thanks for your impressions on the DNA's - they look interesting, but not exactly something I'd want to go out and buy right this second.

Other than that - I'm not sure if I want to keep my pre-order for the AKG K267's going. I originally wanted to try them, and sell either them or the M-100's, depending on which I disliked more, but the value of the M-100's will plummet compared to it's value now once they become fully released in December right?

Do you think I should still keep the pre-order?

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #93 of 211
Quote:
Thanks for your impressions on the DNA's - they look interesting, but not exactly something I'd want to go out and buy right this second.

Other than that - I'm not sure if I want to keep my pre-order for the AKG K267's going. I originally wanted to try them, and sell either them or the M-100's, depending on which I disliked more, but the value of the M-100's will plummet compared to it's value now once they become fully released in December right?

Do you think I should still keep the pre-order?

Yeah I suppose that'll happen considering they're being released to the public before the holiday season. >.>

If I were in your shoes, I would cancel the pre-order. After some people start getting it and reviews roll out, perhaps then you could try to get your hands on one if it sounds like something you would use.

Personally I'm interested in seeing how these AKG's do in the bass department since a lot of their headphones are mid/upper-mid focused. If they manage to do the mids/upper-mids AND bass just right, I might consider getting a pair since I'm a mids kind of guy.

Speaking of AKG, their new K551 seems like a pretty lame "upgrade" of the K550 if they sound identical. Hopefully the sound isn't the same and they won't follow the same pattern as before:
K 701 -> K 702 -> Q 701 (arguably the Q 701 sounds different, but I can't personally confirm this) -> K 702 Anniversary edition

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #94 of 211
Quote:
Yeah I suppose that'll happen considering they're being released to the public before the holiday season. >.>

If I were in your shoes, I would cancel the pre-order. After some people start getting it and reviews roll out, perhaps then you could try to get your hands on one if it sounds like something you would use.

Personally I'm interested in seeing how these AKG's do in the bass department since a lot of their headphones are mid/upper-mid focused. If they manage to do the mids/upper-mids AND bass just right, I might consider getting a pair since I'm a mids kind of guy.

Speaking of AKG, their new K551 seems like a pretty lame "upgrade" of the K550 if they sound identical. Hopefully the sound isn't the same and they won't follow the same pattern as before:
K 701 -> K 702 -> Q 701 (arguably the Q 701 sounds different, but I can't personally confirm this) -> K 702 Anniversary edition

It was a good idea when it was supposed to be shipped out today... but now I really don't know. I have no idea what AKG is thinking, but between the non-detachable, thin cable, fat plug of the K551, and the constant delay of these headphones, I'd assume they're not exactly thinking straight.

Couple that with the fact that the sliding cable on my M-100's bugging me, I really dunno. I like the style of the K550, but I don't want the crap cable or the long cable - and the sound may be hard to adjust to after finally getting used to the M-100's.

I'm in a never-ending circle of headphones.

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #95 of 211
Quote:
I'm in a never-ending circle of headphones.

I may be misinterpreting your comment, but if you're not enjoying the headphone "journey" then I would suggest discontinuing a pursuit of an absolute ideal.  In all honesty, perfection doesn't exist.  If you happen upon something that ticks your top three (or so) most highly-ranked wants/needs, then ignore the details, enjoy the music, and distance yourself from Head-Fi's consumerist trappings.  At any rate, thank you for sharing your opinions. 
smily_headphones1.gif

As an update, I feel that I've become properly acquainted with the PSB M4U 1's performance and an inclusive review with the M-100 is en route.

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #96 of 211
Quote:

I may be misinterpreting your comment, but if you're not enjoying the headphone "journey" then I would suggest discontinuing a pursuit of an absolute ideal.  In all honesty, perfection doesn't exist.  If you happen upon something that ticks your top three (or so) most highly-ranked wants/needs, then ignore the details, enjoy the music, and distance yourself from Head-Fi's consumerist trappings.  At any rate, thank you for sharing your opinions. 
smily_headphones1.gif

As an update, I feel that I've become properly acquainted with the PSB M4U 1's performance and an inclusive review with the M-100 is en route.

It's not that I don't like it - it's just that it's taking longer than I though, and me, being in Maple Ridge, Canada, with no transport most of the time - I can't test any of these without buying them. I've been looking for an upgrade/replacement to my Audio Technica ATH-M50's since early June, and I still haven't found something that feels 'solid'. I'm a hard person to please I guess. I've been looking at a number of headphones - the big two have been...

1. V-MODA CROSSFADE M-100's: Right now, I really like my M-100's. The sound is great, if a bit bass focused, and the build is good, but not great. I like the hinge, but the headband and cable fabrics fray easily and the pads aren't the most comfortable. The materials are great, but the way they're put together leaves a lot to be desired. I love the detachable cable, but having exposed cup cables is a no-go for me. There's too much finicking for me with the M-100; I have to fiddle with them constantly on my head for them to stay comfortable and non-intrusive on my listening, and my curly hair gets caught in the hinge constantly. Couple that with the style not being quite right for me, and they don't tick all my boxes. (Sound - Check / Materials - Semi-Check / Solidarity in Use  - Ehhhh... )
  2. AKG K267 TIESTO's: These have all the pros of the M-100 (discounting sound), and seemingly less of the cons. They add the ability to fold flat, as well as adjustable bass and an all aluminum design. With the streamlined style, they match the look I want more than the M-100's - and they look much more comfortable with the large amount of padding and wide cups. I doubt I will have to worry about my hair getting stuck anywhere on these. I also know AKG is know for their mids and highs - so if they can bring nice, tight, deep bass in to match with them, I know this headphone will be a winner. (Sound - ??? / Materials - BIG Check / Solidarity in Use  - Probably gonna be great) Too bad it keeps getting delayed.. and delayed.. and DELAYED.

I just want to decide already - I don't want to go on spending 1000's (Both hours + Cash) on something so (comparatively) small as headphones.

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #97 of 211
Well, somebody said on the AKG Tiësto thread that the K167 bass is better than the bass of the DENON D2000. And from what I've heard outside of head-fi, the bass is really really good so I expect the K267 to be at least the same or even better.

Nov 13, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #98 of 211
Quote:
Well, somebody said on the AKG Tiësto thread that the K167 bass is better than the bass of the DENON D2000. And from what I've heard outside of head-fi, the bass is really really good so I expect the K267 to be at least the same or even better.

I see. Well, here's hoping. I like to have a balanced signature with nice punchy bass, rather than bass everywhere. Hopefully that's what they offer on their "Studio" setting.

Nov 13, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #99 of 211
He also said the AKG K167's were the best closed cans he's heard and he owns the Denon D2000, so I guess it's not all just about the bass. ; ) I will listen to them by Friday, hopefully. Maybe this will give us an idea of how will the K267's sound like. They just have to better thatn the K167's.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #100 of 211
Seems like something is finally happening on the Velodyne vTrue front, as they are now available for pre-order. Velodyne also has this promotional video giving us a better look at the headphones, and they still look like a sci-fi prop. 

If it was black and red, or white and siler, maybe it'd look better, but this? Nnnnnnope. (IMO) They do seem to have black and white "vFree" headphones coming out. Still no proper word on those yet.

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #101 of 211
Quote:
Seems like something is finally happening on the Velodyne vTrue front, as they are now available for pre-order. Velodyne also has this promotional video giving us a better look at the headphones, and they still look like a sci-fi prop. 

If it was black and red, or white and siler, maybe it'd look better, but this? Nnnnnnope. (IMO) They do seem to have black and white "vFree" headphones coming out. Still no proper word on those yet.

If they sound THAT good, I might be able to overlook their appearance.  I am looking for an over-the-top quality basshead can and the V-True, along with the K267 could live up to that.

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #104 of 211
Quote:
Why haven't you purchased the MDR-1R?  Based on reviews, it seems like it would meet your requirements.  I suspect the K267 will be bass heavy, even on its lowest setting and compared to the M-100.

Apparently the MDR-1R isn't built the best, isn't good for on-the-go, highs are sharp, and the driver touches the ear. Not to mention multiple people say the price for them is too steep for what you're getting..

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #105 of 211
Am I missing something... is there a reason the Beyerdynamic DT1350 aren't mentioned in this thread?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back