MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Sep 27, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #2,056 of 2,609
Does the LPS not have that power? and in summary I can not use the ECC31 with 6SN7 Adapters directly on the MZ2 with LPS? I dont want to go through the hassle of using these special adapters and more power supplies, but I have the ECC31 with me which I'd love to try without risking any damage to anything.

The LPS might provide sufficient power but the ZOTL's circuit (including the fuse) is designed for the lower current requirements of the 6SN7 and as far as I know the ECC31 will at least require a higher rated fuse. But then I would not mess around with it because I do not understand if there are further restrictions down the road. So I went with the adapters mentioned above which feed heater pins 7 & 8 from an external source. On this basis I can use other tubes with their specific adapters (FDD20, ECC31, C3gS, etc).

Two notes:
1) Some adapters are too bulky for the restricted space inside the ZOTL -> bigger effort required to make a custom top with sockets
2) The non-6SN7 tubes will most likely not run in their optimal configuration. I have no idea if that will lead to issues with the tubes or the amp. So far I am very happy that everything is running w/o problems but in case one day the amp is a black molten mass, I will certainly not blame it on Will :)

Oct 1, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #2,057 of 2,609
I have been using the 6SN7W for some time now with the mZ2 and the 7062. Working out well. Wonderful timbre and articulation of sound with very good imaging and overall soundstage. I am using mostly the Utopia now with them. 

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #2,058 of 2,609
  I have been using the 6SN7W for some time now with the mZ2 and the 7062. Working out well. Wonderful timbre and articulation of sound with very good imaging and overall soundstage. I am using mostly the Utopia now with them. 

Yes I was considering opening up the amp and rolling tubes on it, but 14 screws with the Allen key puts me off. How big are the differences if I just roll the 6SN7 tubes?

Oct 13, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #2,059 of 2,609

Yes I was considering opening up the amp and rolling tubes on it, but 14 screws with the Allen key puts me off. How big are the differences if I just roll the 6SN7 tubes?

I only keep 4 screw in or none. It depends upon the 6SN7 tube used. I like the 6SN7W with a excellent sense of depth and tonality. The 7062 doesn't cost much but neither do the 12AT7's and thankfully, they are pretty common. 

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #2,060 of 2,609
My microZOTL2-S (massdrop version with upgraded LPS and tubes) is to arrive Tuesday.  Since the tubes are internal and not external to the amp, how does Urban Hifi ship the amp and tubes? 

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #2,064 of 2,609
  If the tubes come installed, how does it not get loose during shipping/delivery process? 

As above, they are very secure. Good tube sockets have a tight grip on the tube pins. Nothing wrong with taking the top off and checking them but it would take tremendous downward force, with the amp upside down, to dislodge them and with that, you would notice some type of impact to the box. 

I bought a nice Hickok 439C years ago. It is a tube tester with 2 rectifier tubes. Sometimes they had devices to hold the tubes in place, as they sit sideways. Anyway during shipping they had dropped the tester from quite a height and torn everything loose inside the test from the would case. Very sad and I got the post office to reimburse for repair costs. But the tubes, still in place even with that horrible abuse. 

Loving the sound of the mZ2 and the Focal Utopia. An excellent combination and it works extremely well with the HE1000 V2 as well. Very good 3D type of presentation with tons of layering and separation with either headphone! 

Oct 17, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #2,065 of 2,609

As above, they are very secure. Good tube sockets have a tight grip on the tube pins. Nothing wrong with taking the top off and checking them but it would take tremendous downward force, with the amp upside down, to dislodge them and with that, you would notice some type of impact to the box. 

Loving the sound of the mZ2 and the Focal Utopia. An excellent combination and it works extremely well with the HE1000 V2 as well. Very good 3D type of presentation with tons of layering and separation with either headphone! 

Thanks. I've been reading a lot of great impressions about the Focal Utopia. Sadly way out of my price point. But definitely want to hear it.
I'll being using the HD800 and Grado "Nhoord driver" Custom builds (which I find sounds better "to my ears" than Grado RS2e, RS1e and GH1). 
I'll be comparing the ZOTL2-S with Cavalli Carbon. 

Oct 17, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #2,066 of 2,609
On some well recorded music, there is a spooky quality to the music with the Utopia and mZ2 combination. So real, there is a quality, that for me is very hard to explain. An air, clarity and is even better than a lot of live music I have heard in person. 

I am using the 6SN7W, 7062 tube set. The stock tubes they now use are great, just let the whole rig burn in some. 

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #2,067 of 2,609
  On some well recorded music, there is a spooky quality to the music with the Utopia and mZ2 combination. So real, there is a quality, that for me is very hard to explain. An air, clarity and is even better than a lot of live music I have heard in person. 

I am using the 6SN7W, 7062 tube set. The stock tubes they now use are great, just let the whole rig burn in some. 

Is it ok to leave the power supply on all the time?

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #2,068 of 2,609
My MicroZOTL2-S sounded pretty good right out of the box. It seemed to have been burned in (not fully but well enough). 
My initial impressions are that they are very very open and clean sounding. Great imaging and layers of detail.
But I got to say that while I can really appreciate the ZOTL2-S, I also appreciate the Cavalli Carbon's presentation: fuller and forward mids. Makes for more fun listening. 

Oct 20, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #2,069 of 2,609
  My MicroZOTL2-S sounded pretty good right out of the box. It seemed to have been burned in (not fully but well enough). 
My initial impressions are that they are very very open and clean sounding. Great imaging and layers of detail.
But I got to say that while I can really appreciate the ZOTL2-S, I also appreciate the Cavalli Carbon's presentation: fuller and forward mids. Makes for more fun listening. 

Yeah, we've been down this road before. :)

I had the Carbon too. Really liked it. The day after I got my MZ2, I literally never listened to my Carbon again. 

Then again, I can imagine someone saying the exact opposite, and I wouldn't be surprised. It's just a matter of taste. 

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #2,070 of 2,609
Thank you,

I will of course be doing one myself, but just to make everything fair, I am also lending out the equipment to a very (more knowledgable)person than I who has
no bias. It should be very interesting. The comparisons will be the stock powers and EL3N drivers on the Elise, versus whatever arrives on the zotl.
The same dac will be used, (Hegel HD12)

P.S. I do expect the zotl to win, as the Elise runs about $750 with the tubes. I think it might be closer thn some think though.

Has your Zotl2-s arrived? Anticipating your comparisons. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back