MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Sep 6, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #2,041 of 2,609
Sorry to hear that Mojo Audio. People do take their gear very personally. 
On the lighter note: I was able to cancel my M2 Deluxe for the Massdrop M2-S version. 
Really excited.
biggrin.gif
 The only down side is that it's a longer wait. 
confused.gif

For those who already have the upgraded tubes through your own tube rolling, chime in let me know what I might hear with M2-S and it's upgraded tubes. 

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #2,042 of 2,609

Thank you. Is the amp "Chassis" also different? Is the iodized aluminum faceplate only in the M2-S?
Sorry for so many questions.

Edit:Nevermind, just looked at some pictures and it looks the same. 

The amp is superficially only different in the color of the screws (silver instead of red) and the color of the power button LED (white instead of red). If you order a black faceplate for your MicroZOTL2 or order an MZ2S, they will be the same anodized black. They all say "microZOTL" because that's where they all originate from, of course. 

Sep 6, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #2,043 of 2,609
I couldn't resist. I have been looking at this zotl for awhile.
I commited on Massdrop. The Cavalli LC is going up for sale.
Well, I guess we are going to get that Elise vs Zotl comparison soon.

Im real excited.
I also love how everybody on the zotl site and the Elise site have never bashed each other, except for one peron tht admitted he had never heard the Elise.

I think Im going to have the best of two worlds.

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #2,044 of 2,609
I couldn't resist. I have been looking at this zotl for awhile.
I commited on Massdrop. The Cavalli LC is going up for sale.
Well, I guess we are going to get that Elise vs Zotl comparison soon.

Im real excited.
I also love how everybody on the zotl site and the Elise site have never bashed each other, except for one peron tht admitted he had never heard the Elise.

I think Im going to have the best of two worlds.

Will be looking forward to your MicroZOTL2-S  and Elise comparisons.

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #2,045 of 2,609
Will be looking forward to your MicroZOTL2-S  and Elise comparisons.

Thank you,

I will of course be doing one myself, but just to make everything fair, I am also lending out the equipment to a very (more knowledgable)person than I who has
no bias. It should be very interesting. The comparisons will be the stock powers and EL3N drivers on the Elise, versus whatever arrives on the zotl.
The same dac will be used, (Hegel HD12)

P.S. I do expect the zotl to win, as the Elise runs about $750 with the tubes. I think it might be closer thn some think though.

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #2,046 of 2,609
Looking forward to the comparison. I used Elise for several months and changed to the ZOTL but I have no $80000 audio equipment experience, so I am not qualified to do a comparison. I am glad the ZOTL-S will be compared, as I have never been a fan of the current production TS 6SN7 which are shipped with the ZOTL and will be replaced by NOS 12SN7 on the ZOTL-S.

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #2,047 of 2,609
I have to say, I've never heard the Elise, and wasn't aware of any goings on at the Elise thread (I do own both the ZOTL and the LC), now I'm really curious to read about it.

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #2,048 of 2,609
Looking forward to the comparison. I used Elise for several months and changed to the ZOTL but I have no $80000 audio equipment experience, so I am not qualified to do a comparison. I am glad the ZOTL-S will be compared, as I have never been a fan of the current production TS 6SN7 which are shipped with the ZOTL and will be replaced by NOS 12SN7 on the ZOTL-S.

Can you offer some impressions? Would really appreciate it. Not looking for a professional review. Just what you heard. 
Thanks in advance.
Actually I'll PM you.

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #2,049 of 2,609
Im also very interested in reading the impressions of the MZ2 against the Elise.

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #2,050 of 2,609
Has anyone tried the ECC31 on the MZ2? is the MZ2 capable of handling the power of the ECC31?

Sep 26, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #2,052 of 2,609
Yes, I tried it but with external heating power. AFAIK the ECC31 exceeds the ZOTL's limits. I must admit I forgot how it sounds - but I never went back :)

What kind of external heating power? Would the ECC31 with 6SN7 adapters work with the MZ2+LPS?

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #2,054 of 2,609
Thanks Will :) The adapter I used can be found here: http://www.ebay.de/itm/1pc-Octal-Special-saver-for-6SN7-6BL7-ect-/191741357847

You will need an additional power supply yielding at least 2A at 6.3V. As the tube draws more current than nominal during the first couple of seconds I would recommend going for a higher current output. Keep in mind that external heating can introduce several problems you did not have before :evil:

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #2,055 of 2,609
Thanks Will :) The adapter I used can be found here: http://www.ebay.de/itm/1pc-Octal-Special-saver-for-6SN7-6BL7-ect-/191741357847

You will need an additional power supply yielding at least 2A at 6.3V. As the tube draws more current than nominal during the first couple of seconds I would recommend going for a higher current output. Keep in mind that external heating can introduce several problems you did not have before 
evil_smiley.gif

Does the LPS not have that power? and in summary I can not use the ECC31 with 6SN7 Adapters directly on the MZ2 with LPS? I dont want to go through the hassle of using these special adapters and more power supplies, but I have the ECC31 with me which I'd love to try without risking any damage to anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back