MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Aug 22, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #1,996 of 2,609
  Missed that. That's what I was assuming. I'm sure it's talked about in the thread. Is the upgraded power supply worth the extra price?

Most definitely. I was totally skeptical that it would make that much of a difference, but my jaw kinda dropped when I gave my first listen to the LPS. 

Blacker background (not that the background didn't seem black before), cleaner sound, more impact. 

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #1,997 of 2,609

Most definitely. I was totally skeptical that it would make that much of a difference, but my jaw kinda dropped when I gave my first listen to the LPS. 

Blacker background (not that the background didn't seem black before), cleaner sound, more impact. 

If your jaw dropped with the LPS power supply, wait until you here the recently released ILLUMINATI power supply just
put into production from head Mojo Benjamin  at Mojo Audio. I listened to the prototype and posted some preliminary
comparisons about a month ago on this thread, and now have the real production one in my hands.  Still burning in after
four days, it makes my headphones 2 from the ZOTL2 go 3D with improved soundstage, dynamics and PRAT.  Used as a
a preamp, the ZOTL2 feeding my near field Fostex desktop system, with the ILLUMINATI power supply makes the speakers
actually DISAPPEAR, and vanish into the sound field. Its an astounding breakthrough in SQ yielded through the ZOTL2.
About the size of a loaf of bread, and built like a Mercedes Benz, it seems to make the music breathe and flow like nothing
else i have heard. The ZOTL2 just loves it!!! Highly recommended! I am organizing a tour of the ILLUMINATI very soon for
interested MICROZOTL2 owners, or anyone that can use an amazing power supply for their 5 v digital device....stay tuned.

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #1,998 of 2,609

Yeah, I got an Illuminati too. Once I saw the light about the importance of power supplies, I ordered the best I could find.

Mine is sitting right next to me, but it's still in its box because mine is built for Japan, and I'm still in the US for another couple weeks.....

Can't wait to get back home and run it through its paces. Built like a monster. 

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #1,999 of 2,609
Thanks

Aug 22, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #2,000 of 2,609

To begin with, the HD800s have VERY high impedance, which means less than 20% of the headphone amps in the world can drive them to anywhere near their potential.

The Bottlhead amp is not one of the amps I would recommend for HD800s without modifying the output stage for high impedance headphones (requires serious re-engineering).

On the other hand, the physics of the ZOTL output stage make the mZ2 ideal for high impedance headphones like the HD800s.

At our Head-Fi meetup recently one person had a Bottlehead amp that we compared to the mZ2 on headphones that are much easier to drive, such as Ether Cs or the upgraded Oppos.

The Bootlehead amp sounded warm, beautiful, and intoxicating, BUT far less resolving, far less extended, far less tight, and far less natural than the mZ2.

If you want a romantic sound that covers up all the flaws in a mediocre source and bad recordings, go with the Bottlehead amp.

If you want accurate time, tune, tone, and timbre, along with extension and dynamics, then I would recommend the mZ2.

Of course with an mZ2 and HD800s (my last year's love) you will hear EVERY flaw in the recording and your source. You're talking about a "Ferrari" system that "feels every pebble in the road."

In general, with HD800s I would recommend upgrading the cable to that Peacock MkII cable or some other cable with a warmer tonal balance, as well as upgrading the stock tubes in your mZ2 to NOS tubes. 

On the other hand, the Bottlehead amp with headphones that work well with it (not HD800s) will make almost any source and any recording sound lovely.

Kind of a late reply, but are you comparing the MZ2 to the Crack w/ speedball? The description of warm, beautiful and intoxicating sounds like the Crack and not the Mainline, which is much more resolving, extended and tight, as well as natural.

Also, how much does the linear power supply improve the sound? Is it worth the extra $$$? I connect all my amps to my UPS with sine wave output, so not sure if additional cleaner power would make a difference.

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #2,001 of 2,609
I've had my modded MZ2 with a Joule 5 for a few weeks now, and the sound is incredible. 

It is a double-edged sword, however. 

Before, I used my Hugo with the MZ2 no problem. With the mod/J5, however, I can hear a loud hum whenever the Hugo is plugged in. Sounds fine on batteries. 

For the past couple weeks I've been using a Mystique DAC from Mojo Audio (can't bring myself to go back to Hugo now, BTW). 

The Mystique runs off my Macbook Pro. When the MBP is plugged in, guess what, distinct hum. No hum on batteries. 

I don't claim to really understand what's going on electrically, but the modded MZ2 and beefed up power supply is definitely like a hot-rod that requires highest-octane fuel.

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #2,002 of 2,609
  Before, I used my Hugo with the MZ2 no problem. With the mod/J5, however, I can hear a loud hum whenever the Hugo is plugged in. Sounds fine on batteries. 

For the past couple weeks I've been using a Mystique DAC from Mojo Audio (can't bring myself to go back to Hugo now, BTW). 

The Mystique runs off my Macbook Pro. When the MBP is plugged in, guess what, distinct hum. No hum on batteries. 

I don't claim to really understand what's going on electrically, but the modded MZ2 and beefed up power supply is definitely like a hot-rod that requires highest-octane fuel.

Sounds like a ground loop to me. I had similar issues with my mZOTL and different power supplies but was able to cure it py adding grouding wires. With the Hugo not fed by batteries, does the hum change when you touch e.g. the RCA sockets on the back of the ZOTL?

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #2,004 of 2,609
Just ordered the amp. It can't get here fast enough![/quo

You will love it, one of the best amps out there, and a bathing at the asking price!

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #2,005 of 2,609
power supply review linked to in my profile, for all interested (A Tale of 3 Power Supplies).

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #2,007 of 2,609
http://headphone.guru/absolute-power-thrills-absolutely-or-a-tale-of-three-power-supplies-mojo-joule-v5-linear-power-supply/

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #2,008 of 2,609
  http://headphone.guru/absolute-power-thrills-absolutely-or-a-tale-of-three-power-supplies-mojo-joule-v5-linear-power-supply/

FYI, we've recently had a number of these Joule v5 power supplies traded in on our new Illuminati.

Some of those guys who have owned both our Joule v5 and have just upgraded to our Illuminati will be posting on drbluenewmexico's new Upgraded microZOTL2 thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/818130/microzotl2-upgrade-discovery-thread

Since my last DIY upgrade post on this thread there have been many advancements.

I'll be posting more DIY upgrades for fuses, resonance control, capacitors, and advanced wiring over the next month or two.

Some of you may want to link to the new mZ2 upgrade thread
L3000.gif

Aug 29, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #2,009 of 2,609
Received my Illuminati power supply last weekend! :)
Posted my impressions for the upgrade and power supplies in the upgrading thread, hope some will find it helpful
http://www.head-fi.org/t/818130/microzotl2-upgrade-discovery-thread#post_12823508

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #2,010 of 2,609
Congratulations on the MassDrop collaboration!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back