Microshar vs PA2V2 vs Go Vibe 6
Aug 8, 2007 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sharkz

500+ Head-Fier
Just a quick question, I have seen a lot of threads about these amps but none have answered all my questions. I need a first amp, it will be comming from my Zen Vision M (mini mini for now) and my older pioneer CD player (RCA to mini).

My first question is how would an amp like this sound comming directly from the RCA outs on a CD player (ie would it even be possible). Next is which would be best for powering a pair of HD580's. I have a pair of KSC-75's and SR-60's right now, but would like to get a pair of HD580's in the near future. Would any of these portable amps properly power these phones?

I know I am all over the place here, but any help is appreciated.

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 11
I have Go Vibe, I'd say go with that with gain 3 (maybe 2, but I heard those no real problem with sound floor?, I'm pretty new at this, at higher gains.)

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick question, I have seen a lot of threads about these amps but none have answered all my questions. I need a first amp, it will be comming from my Zen Vision M (mini mini for now) and my older pioneer CD player (RCA to mini).

My first question is how would an amp like this sound comming directly from the RCA outs on a CD player (ie would it even be possible). Next is which would be best for powering a pair of HD580's. I have a pair of KSC-75's and SR-60's right now, but would like to get a pair of HD580's in the near future. Would any of these portable amps properly power these phones?

I know I am all over the place here, but any help is appreciated.

Let me see if I get this right, you're asking how the amps would sound from the RCA outs of a CD player? Uhm... a lot like the music you're playing
blink.gif
You're supposed to use the LineOut of the source (CD player or Zen Vision M).

No experience with MicroShar or PA2V2, but with the GoVibe you'll like the KSC75's and SR60. I have heard lots of people liking the PA2V2 with Grados because it's a bass-heavy amp and some like that effect with brighter Grados.

The GoVibe V5 (AD8397) should be able power the HD580, the opamp swings rail to rail and has crazy high output current so it should be sufficient.

Aug 8, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 11
I understand what your saying, but wouldn't using a Rca to mini cable do pretty much the same thing? Just using this as a source would work pretty well wouldn't it? It would be be same as the line out from a Zen to the amp (instead it would be 2 Rca's into one mini).

So the Govibe 5 would be better for HD580's than a 6? Would this even be true for the medium gain Govibe 6? I would likely want the medium gain because this would be better for what I have now and I would think the high gain would be better for the Sennheisers, but would the medium gain do a good job with the Senns as well?

Aug 8, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

I understand what your saying, but wouldn't using a Rca to mini cable do pretty much the same thing? Just using this as a source would work pretty well wouldn't it? It would be be same as the line out from a Zen to the amp (instead it would be 2 Rca's into one mini).

So the Govibe 5 would be better for HD580's than a 6? Would this even be true for the medium gain Govibe 6? I would likely want the medium gain because this would be better for what I have now and I would think the high gain would be better for the Sennheisers, but would the medium gain do a good job with the Senns as well?

Uhm... I'm really lost on what you're talking about the RCA-Mini, it's just a cable, use whatever fits.

I am somewhat partial to using an AD8397 (high current, huge voltage swing) rather than AD8620 to drive headphones directly. The GoVibe V5 uses AD8397 chip, V6 uses AD8620. Don't get me wrong, I do like the AD8620, I just like it buffered, while the AD8397 doesn't need to be buffered and was designed to drive low impedance loads like headphones.

I'm not sure what gain is medium or high, I have no problem driving HD650 to good listening level with a gain of 4 (using a PINT) from an IPod lineout, but would prefer a gain of 6 if you want REALLY loud.

Aug 8, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 11
That sounds good, I guess my only problem now is finding a Go Vibe 5. Is the 5 really that much better than the 6 though? Best bet would be to troll the for sale forums around here I guess? thanks for your input too.

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am somewhat partial to using an AD8397 (high current, huge voltage swing) rather than AD8620 to drive headphones directly. The GoVibe V5 uses AD8397 chip, V6 uses AD8620. Don't get me wrong, I do like the AD8620, I just like it buffered, while the AD8397 doesn't need to be buffered and was designed to drive low impedance loads like headphones.

The opamps used in both the V5 and V6 changed a few times during their tenures, so going by version alone doesn't seem to be a reliable way of telling what's in them. The V6 is available now with AD8066/8065.

I agree that the AD8620 is probably better buffered -- I didn't like it in the V6.

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dagobah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The opamps used in both the V5 and V6 changed a few times during their tenures, so going by version alone doesn't seem to be a reliable way of telling what's in them. The V6 is available now with AD8066/8065.

I agree that the AD8620 is probably better buffered -- I didn't like it in the V6.

I really loved the AD8066 in my Pimeta, but it's buffered.

Aug 9, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 11
What does the fact that its buffered mean exactly/what does buffering it do? Just want to make sure I am clear on this. Thanks.

Aug 9, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

What does the fact that its buffered mean exactly/what does buffering it do? Just want to make sure I am clear on this. Thanks.

Buffered simply means that there is an opamp in the circuit followed by a buffer (either single chip, multiple stacked chips, single transistor or discrete output stage).

Unbuffered means that the opamp is driving the load (in this case headphones) directly.

As far as I know, all of these amps are unbuffered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back