Michigan Spring Meet-Up 2013 (APRIL 20TH @ MSU KELLOGG)
Mar 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #226 of 334
Hey, guys. I'll come as long as I don't have any conflict. I'd bring approximately

LCD-2 Rev 2
W3000ANV
ESW10JPN
RudiStor RPX-33 Mk 2
DL3 (Cullen modified) DAC
SR-71B
Intruder <-- adoring this guy every day at work

Hooking the Intruder to my android devices (S3 and N7) is a good time.

Will be cool to see you all again. I eagerly await details.

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #227 of 334
Was having some comfort issues sound wise with the denons. Messed with a dsp-jumper, swapped out standard usb for a wireworld ultraviolet, and swapped out my pangea 9 power cord with a shunyata venom 3. 

Denons now sound unusually balanced, bass is extremely controlled. Looking forward to the meet every day! (Pretty sure all the changes are in my brain, minus the jumper. That one does stuff measurably.)

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #228 of 334
How exactly does the meet work? We just leave our stuff on a table and check out other people's rigs with a playlist playing?

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #229 of 334
Quote:
How exactly does the meet work? We just leave our stuff on a table and check out other people's rigs with a playlist playing?

Probably. I'll be walking around showing off my Pandora a bit, and I'll have an extra SE-700 with me to test amps with. I'll leave my SE-700, SE-500, 4AAA, and RS2i on my table with my laptop/amp/DAC setup for others to try.

I'm trying to get ahold of some cheap stands before the meet so I have something for them to sit on... Anyone have any recommendations?

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #230 of 334
Quote:
Hey, guys. I'll come as long as I don't have any conflict. I'd bring approximately

LCD-2 Rev 2
W3000ANV
ESW10JPN
RudiStor RPX-33 Mk 2
DL3 (Cullen modified) DAC
SR-71B
Intruder <-- adoring this guy every day at work

Hooking the Intruder to my android devices (S3 and N7) is a good time.

Will be cool to see you all again. I eagerly await details.

It'll be good to see you as well boss! How do you find the W3000? I adore mine...

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #231 of 334
It'll be good to see you as well boss! How do you find the W3000? I adore mine...

Yea, Tim! They have a more "alive" and sparkly presentation vs the LCD-2, for sure. Very close to how I feel about the ESW10JPN, bigger.

I wrote a thing.

http://www.threadbox.net/2012/11/03/the-enticing-sound-of-the-ath-w3000anv/

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #233 of 334
A slight update to my gear list.  I've sold my A900X and K702 65th Anniversary and with the proceeds, paid in full for the HD-800 and it should ship out tomorrow.  So now I will have the HD-800 along with my AD2000X. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #235 of 334
Quote:
A slight update to my gear list.  I've sold my A900X and K702 65th Anniversary and with the proceeds, paid in full for the HD-800 and it should ship out tomorrow.  So now I will have the HD-800 along with my AD2000X. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats on the purchase! I can't wait to hear both of them 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Only an hour away. I think I might have to go. Looks like a lot of cool stuff that's gonna be there. Never been to a meet before though.

You and me both haha. It should be a great time!

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #236 of 334
I got a treat for you guys.

My friend sent me an SE-700 for repair. It needs new pads and a new cable. We were just going to go with a standard cable, but then we found some pure silver wire for relatively cheap...

See where I'm going with this? He's gonna let me bring it to the meet. Normally I wouldn't expect much of a difference, but for those who don't know, the SE-700's stock cable is atrocious. It's extremely prone to shorting (which is why I need to fix it in the first place) and is way too long. Additionally, the connection to the piezo film is much more direct than say, a copper voice coil, which increases the likelihood that the increased conductivity will be very noticable.

This is going to be a completely different headphone, and quite a good one at that. I'll have my own (stock) SE-700 with me for comparison. I'm very excited for this, and I hope you guys are too :3

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #237 of 334
Can someone try getting ahold of wualta? I haven't gotten a reply from him and my messages to him aren't showing up in my outbox :/

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #238 of 334
Might be sending the LCD2s back. They are easily more transparent than the denons, but both the weight of the cans and the limited soundstage kill the overall experience. I can't wear them for more than maybe 20 minutes before I find myself adjusting them to get the pressure point off the top of my head. Music on some songs is also just a little too close sounding, although separation isn't a problem. They sound amazing with electronic or lower weighted material! They've got about 50 hours on them now, so I'll hold out until that hits over a 100. Otherwise it looks like i'm moving towards hifiman or senn. 

Denons: soundstage is great for a closed can; engaging; relatively good all-rounder; weighty sound; comfortable; airy for a closed can; Great sound Isolation
Denons bad: can sound "cuppy"; not as forgiving; can be a bit sibilant; not a neutral sound signature; bass can be out of balance with some material; vocals aren't the greatest; ears get pretty hot; doesn't handle complex material 

Audeze: extremely transparent; best vocals I have heard; amazing bass and mids; engaging; relaxing treble; forgiving on lesser source material; quite neutral
Audeze bad: who ever designed the headband needs a slap; heavy (my denons are heavy due to damping materials. These are noticeably heavier.); soundstage projects certain material too close to the ear; who ever designed the headband needs to re-evaluate their definition of comfort

(upon going back and forth, the LCD2s are much more engaging and clear due to the transparency. A very magical headphone with big comfort issue.)

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #240 of 334
Quote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LOL, don't worry I think there will be others there.  Come actual meet time, I'm sure there will be like 6 or 7 of them, it happens every meet I've been to or read about.  Way more LCD-2s than most other phones.  I have to agree with blitzxgene's comments.  I owned the R1 LCD-2 as my first "flagship" for a year but eventually parted ways with it for the same reasons.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back