mg head otl vs opera cyber-20
Feb 8, 2003 at 12:48 PM Post #31 of 33
I've never seen a Gilmore offered here for $370. So if you have something to back that up, fine, otherwise I don't believe you. It's been my experience that the Gilmore goes for $500 asembled, while the Meta goes for less.
Whether it's the RKV or the Opera the point still stands. How do you see fit to compare the Gilmore to the Meta when there is such a price difference, yet comparing these two is wrong?
Heve you ever justified a price of something before buying something? I wouldn't spend X for this but this is worth the extra X? It's the same thing.
One other note. You seem to get on the "high horse" of not thread crapping, but only when your arguements have only gone so far. If your so against thread crapping, PM the person that may question what you say or state, instead of throwing that out there when it's convenient for you.

Feb 8, 2003 at 5:06 PM Post #32 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Lau
[ MG-Head OTL also can change driver tube to 12AU7 just change cathode resistor. [/B]

Joe,

I tried a GE 12AY7/JG6072A on the MG head OTL in place of the 12AX7. Gain is less than 12AX7 (44 vs 100) and so have to adjust volume up slightly but sound was very nice. The high freq was more extended, sweeter and more dynamic while remaining smooth. Have you tried it and your thoughts please. I think the 5751 and/or 12AY7 seem like better tubes than the 12AX7. Are you still going to stick with the 12AX7's for the new MG Head OTL Mk II ??

Also, with the HD600, do you prefer the feedback switch ON (up) or OFF (Down).

Finally, I agree with you. I tried the Opera Cyber 10 briefly. Circuit is very similar to MG head. From the brief listening period, I did not find the Opera Cyber 10 to be better than the MG Head even though it is more expensve and have seperate power supply. However, the build quality was very good

Rdgs

Feb 9, 2003 at 6:42 AM Post #33 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by ddriveman
Joe,

I tried a GE 12AY7/JG6072A on the MG head OTL in place of the 12AX7. Gain is less than 12AX7 (44 vs 100) and so have to adjust volume up slightly but sound was very nice. The high freq was more extended, sweeter and more dynamic while remaining smooth. Have you tried it and your thoughts please. I think the 5751 and/or 12AY7 seem like better tubes than the 12AX7. Are you still going to stick with the 12AX7's for the new MG Head OTL Mk II ??

Also, with the HD600, do you prefer the feedback switch ON (up) or OFF (Down).

Finally, I agree with you. I tried the Opera Cyber 10 briefly. Circuit is very similar to MG head. From the brief listening period, I did not find the Opera Cyber 10 to be better than the MG Head even though it is more expensve and have seperate power supply. However, the build quality was very good

Rdgs

Yes ! I still use 12AX7 in MG-Head OTL mark II due to I like the Vitage sound. Actually you can change to 12AU7 , 12AT7 , 12AY7 or simuliar tube but difference gain.
HD600 - I like it in no nfb - (louder sound position in transformers mode ) , work in OTL mode. I found it even can drive grado low impedance Cans but parallel a Resistor on output. It will have better damping , lower output impedance but less power output , less bass(Just a little).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back