mg head otl vs opera cyber-20
Feb 6, 2003 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 33
Acording to the review (which is in Japanese so I can't understand it) This thing goes for 119000 Yen which is roughly $995.00 US The MG Head is 1/3 of that! I say the MG Head is a much better value!!

Feb 6, 2003 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by 2 channel
Acording to the review (which is in Japanese so I can't understand it) This thing goes for 119000 Yen which is roughly $995.00 US The MG Head is 1/3 of that! I say the MG Head is a much better value!!

And you're saying this because you've tried both?

Incidentally, the Opera Cyber 20 can be had for US$480 inc. express shipping to the U.S. from Hong Kong-based diyhifisupply.com...

- Wasif

Feb 6, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 33
I dont think he implied he has tried both in any way. He merely implied that based upon pricing and the list of components used in the amps... The mg is clearly the better value. Notice how he refers to it as "this thing" ... That to me is an expression symbolizing his lack of knowledge on the product...

I dont think many people have tried this jaz.. Ive never heard of it. Might be a very cool headamp! Seems a bit pricey although.

Feb 6, 2003 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 33
Didn't mean to confuse you wasifazim, I have not heard the Opera. All I was saying is based on the review, almost $1000USD for a tubed headphone amp or $300USD for a tubed headphone amp, The MG head is a better value. Having owned an MG Head, I cant imagine another amp sounding $700 better (you know, point of diminishing returns and all)

biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2003 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 33
I have the Opera Cyber 20 and Cyber 10 which I picked up at CES last month.They are both very good amps and the Cyber 10 is a steal because it is also an integreted and drives the AKG K1000 to great sonics.I have owned the MG Head as well and think the Cyber 20 is superior in most ways sonically and far superior in build quality.That said,the new MG Head DT Mark II is clearly the best of the bunch.The seperate power supply and further enhanced build quality make it even more of a giant slayer and the slight price increase of around $20.00 is further reason to at least give it a try when it hits the states in a month or so.

Feb 6, 2003 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by 2 channel
Having owned an MG Head, I cant imagine another amp sounding $700 better (you know, point of diminishing returns and all)

imagine the rkv.

Feb 7, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #11 of 33
They are not on the same price range, any comparison is not fair, you can get two MGHead for that price.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2003 at 3:59 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
They are not on the same price range, any comparison is not fair, you can get two MGHead for that price.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

re-read the quote in my post, then my post, then apologize for speaking too soon.

Feb 7, 2003 at 4:33 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
re-read the quote in my post, then my post, then apologize for speaking too soon.

Are they talking about the RKV here in any place??? So the mention of it, is completelly irrelevant on this thread, grinch, it is a nice amp, but I did not have read in any place that it sounds 700.00 better than the MGHead neither or any other, the MGHead is for what it was designed, and a nice amp and period, (I sold mine, so I'm not talking because I own one) when I try the RKV I will let you know, if for me, it sounds 700.00 better than anything (I doubt it) but unless the math have change a lot, since I graduate from school, 300 is not in the same range of 995 right? So I owe you the apology, and I sustain what I've said.....and remember that me, as everybody here, can talk at the speed they want and like, regardless of if you like it or not
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2003 at 9:47 AM Post #15 of 33
Cyber-20 and simuliar circuit design as MG-Head OTL. (Actually ! It is simuliar as old deisgn of MG-Head). What difference ?

MG-Head OTL use 12AX7 as Driver tube , Cyber-20 use 12AU7 as driver. Mg_head OTL have OTL mode , feed back control switch but no impeance switch. (It is eliminate due to useless. Low impedance output can drive high impedance cans good). So Cyber-20 have smaller over all gain and it will less over all feed back. Why I choice 12AX7 in MG-Head ? 12AX7 has more vitage sound. It also due to more gain to have more feedback on transformers mode , to overcome the problem on bandwidth.

MG-Head OTL mode - It is good match with HD600.

We are very easy yo made MG-Head OTL more better in transformers mode but need increase US$200 (Retail price). It need a Audiophile quality output but it cost us much on this small Headphone amps. I want to keep it in reasonable price. So I choice a standard grade output transformers in MG-Head OTL.
Transformers load as Choke - It do good job as Loading choke when work in OTL mode.

MG-Head OTL also can change driver tube to 12AU7 just change cathode resistor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back