Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #4,726 of 7,712
The eagle has landed! New in box, original pads! If anyone is interested, there's a 2nd pair still available in the for sale section.
Now for some in depth listening. I hope they are as good with rock and metal as people have suggested. Let's see how they handle some Udo Dirkschneider, Accept style!
Let us know how you like them!

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #4,727 of 7,712
Wow- this is really a nice headphone... I needed a closed back headphone (wife complained when listening to the Sundaras in the bedroom...)

I've been auditioning headphones:
  • M50x - sounded honky or Idk something weird - was it just a bit unbalanced or idk ... words cannot describe
  • Beyerdynamics 770 - wasn't bad - just didn't do anything for me

But this little guy is awesome, fun, musical-- I can really overlook it's faults-- like it breaks up/distorts or whatever at very high volumes-- (who needs high volumes, right- it's a closed phone!) and there seems to be a veil of some kind over the entire sound signature, but it's great.

And, I have the cheap ole black and silver version - no wood.

I am auditioning higher end closed backs in the next few weeks (Audeze LCD2, XC, Elegia)-- not sure I need to spend that kind of money given this buddy's strengths.
Black is the Neos, not the Classics. Slightly different tuning/resonance difference due to plastic cups vs wood

Jan 11, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #4,729 of 7,712
Have spent several hours with these this evening. Without going into much detail, I find them freaking fantastic. The wood cups give them a different yet special type of timbre and tonality. I especially noticed this while listening to Styx - Too much time on my hands, and Led Zeppelin - I can't quit you baby. The sound is engaging, yet elegant. They indeed sound great with rock music, and while I find them better than many with metal, I'll probably stick with my 58X for those duties.
The big thing for me was finding something portable to compliment my Beoplay H6. I can't really say I like one better than the other, and that's a good thing. They're similar yet different, and that's what I was after. I do believe the H6 has a little less of an in your head feeling, but the wood takes on a flavor of it's own. I recently returned a pair of Denon ah-mm400s, and I feel like the wooden cups on the 99s really give these cans a special resonance, the wood cups on the Denons did not take on this characteristic. I'd consider the 99s a jack of all trades, but they sound spectacular with classic rock.
As for the fit, I find them very comfortable, though they do tend to rise up and elevate a bit. These smaller original pads don't bug me in the least. All my listening was done with my Opus #1s, and I ordered a really nice balanced cable off ebay. Coming from China, so it may be a bit. Tomorrow I'll test drive them with my V40. Very happy camper. These are well deserving of having a permanent home on the headphone rack. Aces

Jan 11, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #4,730 of 7,712
Again, there's another original pair still up for grabs. For anyone who purchased the new version and was disappointed, I'd snatch them up. Member purchased these new at the end of 2015, and they've just been sitting - plastic wrapper still on the box. Great price too

Jan 11, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #4,731 of 7,712
Have spent several hours with these this evening. Without going into much detail, I find them freaking fantastic. The wood cups give them a different yet special type of timbre and tonality. I especially noticed this while listening to Styx - Too much time on my hands, and Led Zeppelin - I can't quit you baby. The sound is engaging, yet elegant. They indeed sound great with rock music, and while I find them better than many with metal, I'll probably stick with my 58X for those duties.
The big thing for me was finding something portable to compliment my Beoplay H6. I can't really say I like one better than the other, and that's a good thing. They're similar yet different, and that's what I was after. I do believe the H6 has a little less of an in your head feeling, but the wood takes on a flavor of it's own. I recently returned a pair of Denon ah-mm400s, and I feel like the wooden cups on the 99s really give these cans a special resonance, the wood cups on the Denons did not take on this characteristic. I'd consider the 99s a jack of all trades, but they sound spectacular with classic rock.
As for the fit, I find them very comfortable, though they do tend to rise up and elevate a bit. These smaller original pads don't bug me in the least. All my listening was done with my Opus #1s, and I ordered a really nice balanced cable off ebay. Coming from China, so it may be a bit. Tomorrow I'll test drive them with my V40. Very happy camper. These are well deserving of having a permanent home on the headphone rack. Aces

Told ya! And a balance cable only makes things better! :metal::sunglasses:

Jan 13, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #4,732 of 7,712
Do the newest pads turn these into bass cannons? I mean, I like some bass, but if it's too much that it sounds boomy, unnatural and detracts from the rest of the frequencies, then forget it.
I'm looking at the H6s as an alternate. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #4,733 of 7,712
Do the newest pads turn these into bass cannons? I mean, I like some bass, but if it's too much that it sounds boomy, unnatural and detracts from the rest of the frequencies, then forget it.
I'm looking at the H6s as an alternate. Thoughts?

I wouldn't call them bass cannons, and definitely the bass is not boomy. However, the bass does become more bloomy over the original pads. Personally, I like a more neutral bass (i.e. HD 600, HE-560) and the original pads are more to my liking. It really comes down to preference. I have only heard the original H6 and found the sound to be pleasant, but lacking the oomf needed in certain songs, which is why I went with the Momentums for my daily OTG drivers. I suggest you find a dealer in your area and give the 99 Classics a listen.

Jan 13, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #4,734 of 7,712
I wouldn't call them bass cannons, and definitely the bass is not boomy. However, the bass does become more bloomy over the original pads. Personally, I like a more neutral bass (i.e. HD 600, HE-560) and the original pads are more to my liking. It really comes down to preference. I have only heard the original H6 and found the sound to be pleasant, but lacking the oomf needed in certain songs, which is why I went with the Momentums for my daily OTG drivers. I suggest you find a dealer in your area and give the 99 Classics a listen.

Thanks for the reply. Are there other more neutral phones you could suggest that runs well coupled with a DAP, unamped?

Jan 13, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #4,735 of 7,712
Thanks for the reply. Are there other more neutral phones you could suggest that runs well coupled with a DAP, unamped?

I know you didn't ask me, but I thought I'd jump in. The following recommendation is much neutral regarding bass.

I recently picked up a used pair of Beyerdynamic T5p.2's. Like the Meze, they require very little power. The retail is about triple the Meze which is why I bought used. These are AMAZING! I EQ a bit of bass on my Sony DAP (+2 on bass and -1 on treble). They are becoming my go-to closed backs. If this keeps up for a few months, I may sell my 99's. However the 99's have a lot more kick with rock and roll.

For all the people that will say "but they are triple the price! They better be better". I offer this:
In Canada the Meze cost me $399.00 plus 15% tax. $460.00, all in with free shipping. Used T5p.2's, with a blemish on the headband cost me $670.00, with shipping.

I did not get to test and had never heard a Beyer in my life. I rolled the dice and got lucky. I am blown away.

My favourite instrument is the voice and second is horns (jazz). For my tastes, they seem perfect. So far.
They also do great with rock, IMO. A true "all rounder". I can't speak to hip hip, EDM or classical.

Shane D

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #4,736 of 7,712
From other posters I realized I had the Neos and not the Classics... so I bought the Classics.

After listening briefly along with the Audeze LCD-2 Closed Backs (LCD2CBs) I had the current summary (posted in the Audeze LCD2CB impressions forum):

Other Thoughts / Other Phones
But, with that said there is another phone that is close enough to the LCD2CB out of the box: the Meze 99 phone sounds really good and is lighter weight... clamps less. Now, the phrase "out of the box" is critical. Once I DSP the LCD2CB via Roon the LCD2CB more separates itself from the Meze 99, but again that's with DSP and $500 (USD) more dollars. :triportsad:

I think the Meze 99 is a darn good phone! After listening to much more expensive phones with great amps and DACs would could opine the 99s have a veil of sort over them, but you'd have to spend thousands more to get a minimal improvement. This is a good place to land - i.e., the Meze 99s are a good place to stop and enjoy the music. Now, two things:

1. I haven't listened to a lot of classical music on the 99s- I read someone faulted them for classical. IDK, but pop, rock, folk, etc- they sound good!
2. Some times ... in this hobby... we like to spend more money so that we can get that last 1% of sound quality. If so, for neutrality and musicality I'd recommend the Audeze LCD2CB.

Jan 13, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #4,737 of 7,712
Friends , we all know that meze 99 classics have got 3 version of pads. First(original) , second (bigger) , and new that go now on meze99 (bigger than 2)

All talking about first and last.
And what about second version?? I have second version and I want to know if it's good pads or not. Does they better than last (third) pads?

Jan 13, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #4,738 of 7,712
Friends , we all know that meze 99 classics have got 3 version of pads. First(original) , second (bigger) , and new that go now on meze99 (bigger than 2)

All talking about first and last.
And what about second version?? I have second version and I want to know if it's good pads or not. Does they better than last (third) pads?

The 2nd pads were extremely short lived. Not too many people have them. As far as I know the 99 Classics never actually shipped with the 2nd pads, rather they were shipped from Meze to those who requested them.

Jan 13, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #4,739 of 7,712
The 2nd pads were extremely short lived. Not too many people have them. As far as I know the 99 Classics never actually shipped with the 2nd pads, rather they were shipped from Meze to those who requested them.

Yes that is how my husband got his. He has no complaints.

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #4,740 of 7,712
I have seen in a shop the silver maple version and I am tempted to buy them, not to use them but to keep them (since I already have the walnut gold) because maybe they will be revalued in the future and are so gorgeous. As far as I can see they can't be bought anywhere, neither ebay nor anything else.

They are at the original price, unopened, but I don't know to what extent it could be a good investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back