Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #91 of 7,710
  Interesting looking DAP. Is this a new product? Should I start a thread in the Portable Source Gear section? My only concern would be portability. It doesn't look like it would fit well in a pocket, but I'm sure the internal storage is great. Please take my money.

I know, I know, I am ballin' with this semi-portable state of the art DAP. Shh, don't tell anyone, it is a prototype which is running on air and can last up to many months on a single "charge". Sound is very airy, but the bass kicks in when called for. Really nice and round soundstage. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #93 of 7,710
Just in case you want to play Euro model and wear them fully-clothed while floating on pool raft, here's a picture from the Meze site @ClemsonChad
wink_face.gif
99-classics-lifestyle4.jpg

Or is that me wearing them? Hmm... I guess you'll never know, will you...

Wow, just wow lol. I would hate for him to fall in the water.. just think how messed up his hair would get!

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #94 of 7,710
My Meze 99's arrived today !
Out of the box -
first impression  =  By the Gods, these are VERY nice headphones!

- very enjoyable.

Really can't think of anything negative to say. Will say more when burned in but for now . . .
o_0   Just . . . wow

L3000.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #96 of 7,710

Haha, wow! I think I'm going to pull the trigger so these can be my surfing headphones since dude in the pool obviously feels comfortable with them around water. And I never fall off the board. 
wink.gif

Yeah, I never fall off of my SUP either. Until I fell off a couple of times lol. Luckily I was using cheapo earbuds and my kogan player was in a twist tied baggie. Both survived. And it was a good test for my waterproof Galaxy S5 phone as well!

Unfortunately though, my hair did get messed up.

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #97 of 7,710
Feb 12, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #98 of 7,710
Thanks for sharing this. Pads were one of my nitpicks, too.

You can bend the headband ever so slightly so you get a proper fit and get the pads balanced around the ear.  At least it worked for me.

Feb 12, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #99 of 7,710

You can bend the headband ever so slightly so you get a proper fit and get the pads balanced around the ear.  At least it worked for me.

Fit was fine. I just wanted the pads to be a bit deeper. My ears fairly small and don't stick out much, but my left ear was a bit too mashed up against the driver cover for my taste. And I'd love the cups to be a bit wider, too. Maybe in the next iteration...

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #100 of 7,710

I hear you, but I also worry that deeper pads might mean more brightness. I like the balance they have now. What to do?

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #101 of 7,710
I hear you, but I also worry that deeper pads might mean more brightness. I like the balance they have now. What to do?

Not if they engineer them for the target sound with deeper pads to begin with :wink_face:

I'm thinking more of future iterations than fixing my minor nitpicks with the current model.

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #104 of 7,710
Mark up - inspired me to write a short review on these lovely headphones :)
The formating seems to work better here!

Introduction

As other reviewers have already posted pics, company info etc I mainly want to talk about how they sound.
I am a Sound Engineer and Producer by trade, an Audiophile for pleasure and sometimes a Music Lover as well :) 
I listen to all genres but prefer 'Hi Res' 24/96 / Vinyl rips / SACD. May go to DAP is the iBasso DX80

In Brief...

High's

The highs have been wonderfully tuned, no sibilance yet never lacking in clarity or detail. I confess to
being a bit of a 'high head' and not so much a 'bass head' Im also not a huge fan of 'warm sounding' headphones
but I find the silky smooth crisp highs to be SO nice on these headphones.
Listening to the likes of Ella Fitzgerald and Billy Holiday is simply divine

Mid's

Seem well tuned and sit nicely in their own area without being adversely effected by lows and highs
Look to other reviews for a more detailed analysis in this area! (to be honest, mid's are not my strong point)

Lows

This is where it gets interesting for me. the bass is certainly a part of what this headphone is about. You
wont ever find it lacking! I am no bass head so for me this is perhaps the only thing I would personally like
to see toned down a bit. Another reviewer touched on this adding that 'although it is always there, its not really a
problem'...but can be noticeable. 
However, when the bass works, it works Really well. 
Classical music is an absolute delight with cello bass for example, sounding warm and natural. 
Its important to add though that even when the bass is a tad prominent [for me] the mids and highs still shine and 
maintain their presence... a lovely quality of this headphone
The Meze 99's are a good example of a headphone that rewards you with well mixed and mastered audio 

Soundstage

I think most reviews have reported the Meze 99's as having a wide sound stage, especially for a closed back headphone 
I would agree with this but at times I have noticed that the sound stage has two other qualities that I really enjoy:

1, They have a lovely 3D sound stage. Sometimes with classical you can hear and clearly visualise where the various 
instruments where in the auditorium during the recording session. There can therefore be a wonderful sense of space with
each instrument having its own space to shine in - useful if you are a Bach lover!
If the singer or band where recording in an area that had a lot of space these headphones do a delightful job of reproducing this

2, One thing I noticed today was how the sound stage is not only great in the left and right but also does a great job filling in
the middle as well, something I didn't realise other headphones don't always do so well until listening to the Meze 99's!

Due to these points I find these to be something of an 'Audiophile' headphone in that they are great for detail.

Over all sound

Meze claim to have produced a neutral tuned and warm [fun?] sounding headphone. I find this a bit of a contradiction! 
not in a bad way although I do find elements of both [neutral & fun]

When I read that these headphones had been tuned neutral I was excited because as an Audiophile I seek neutral headphones
so that I can enjoy music that is well mixed and mastered on a DAP that has the quality, presicion and power to replicate as
close as possible, the sound of the original studio recording
When I read they had a 'warm wood earcup sound' and (did I read 'fun' somewhere?) I was also looking forward to this because sometimes
I just like to listen to and enjoy music ( as oppose to 'critical detail' Audiophile listening!!)
To be fair, it must be difficult to find a balance between tuning a 'neutral' headphone whilst keeping them interesting to listen to as well
I feel Meze has done a very good job here with this although they don't sound to me like how the graph appears :) 

So I find myself very happy and yet a tiny bit dissapointed with these headphones. 
A tad dissapointed because... I don't think they could be considered 'Audiophile' headphones BUT if that bass was a tad more balanced . . .  
they would start getting into that area. 
To be fair though Meze have not sold them as such and I say this, if anything, as a compliment.
I find myself very happy with these headphones though because they are such fun to listen too...for pleasure!

>>> In essence, they have an energy, a life to them which reminds me of that 'live music feeling' you get at concerts. 
As soon as I put them for the first time they just seemed to sing, straight out of the box. They seemed so happy and excited to play 
some music for me :)  They are a very endearing headphone and I already find they have a place in my heart

The bad

The cups - I have to agree with other reviewers - I have small ears and the fit is snug so for people with big ears...?

The cable - If i scratch to cable above the cinch it sounds like my fingers are scratching inside the cups themsleves! I tend to listen to headphones
lying down so this is not as issue for me, but the microphonics are not great

The bass - sometimes can be a little intrusive to my tastes but not to the degree that is becomes a problem

Conclusion

In conclusion the only downsides are the cable and the small cups (which may effect some)
I feel they are priced about right.
I think Meze have done a great job, producing a lovingly well made, high quality headphone with an interesting & wonderfully energetic, engaging sound
that when given well mixed and mastered audio will give great delight and a wonderful dynamic experience to the listener 
To give a score out of 100 I would probably only take off 10-15 points

thank you Meze! I will be keeping a very close eye out for future headphones

Feb 14, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #105 of 7,710
Hi MezeTeam, i want to know if the earpads and headpad are of real leathers or not, and i want to know what is PU leather?
Thank you very much

P.S: i am a vegan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back