META42 Headphone Amplifier Review
Dec 11, 2002 at 6:37 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Thanks for all the kind words guys. I'd like to write more reviews in the future.

Can anyone critique my writing style? Was it easy to understand? Structured, etc?

Look, nobody is going to critique every aspect of your writing style, because if they did, somebody will offend somebody else.
wink.gif
Take a couple writing courses or something. Better to let the pros do the offending.

Dec 11, 2002 at 6:44 PM Post #17 of 42
andrzejpw:

Congratulations! Your META42 looks great!

One suggestion...
With that case, you have plenty of space for larger electrolytic caps, such as Elna Cerafines or Elna Silmics. If you use Elnas, the sound of your META42 will improve. Of course, you will have to place these larger caps laying down on a little board. However, you will be rewarded for your efforts with a much better sound.

Dec 11, 2002 at 6:47 PM Post #18 of 42
Gariver: I do have elna cerafines here, 220uF and 470 uF, sent to me by a generous head-fier. Unfortunatly, I haven't had the time yet to plan how I'd install them on a v1 board.

Dec 11, 2002 at 7:03 PM Post #19 of 42
On the v1 boards the 220s will fit without a problem. The 470s will take some creativity.

Dec 11, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #20 of 42
OK! You want a critique of your writing style, and I will do it for you.

I suspect that English is your 2nd language. Am I right? Let me know. Well, English is my 2nd language also since my 1st language is Spanish.

In general, your writing is excellent! The only problem you have is this: Your sentences are too long! Instead, you must discipline yourself to write sentences that are 12 to 16 words long. When you write a long sentence, you should split it up into two sentences. This correction makes your writing much more "readable" and clear.

To further improve your writing, I suggest that your read Rudolf Flesch's books on writing. Flesch wrote his books in the late 1940s, and they are still bestsellers in the 1990s. This is amazing! Now, if you read Time and Newsweek magazines, you will see how the Flesch writing system works. Virtually all professional writers today use the Flesch system to gain clarity, readability and writing speed.

I am a graduate of Columbia University in NYC, the world's leader in Nobel Prizes with 65! At this world class university, the late Rudolf Flesch, PhD, is still held in very high esteem. Why? Well, he was the finest teacher ever to teach at Columbia's Teachers College! Thus, you can't take writing courses at Columbia, without learning about the Flesh style of writing. It is that important!

Remember, Columbia is the home of the most famous US writing prize: The Pulitzer Prize! In my mind, I can easily see the connection between the Flesh writing system and the Pulitzer Prize. I mean, you can't get a Pulitzer Prize without using Dr Flesch's writing system. It is that simple!

http://www.pulitzer.org/

Which Flesch book to get first? I suggest that you buy Flesch's The Classic Guide to Better Writing. This particular book is celebrating its 50th anniversary with a new edition. It has been a bestseller since 1947! I would also get Flesch's The Art of Readable Writing. It is now out of print, but it is an excellent book also.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...sbn=0062730487

A good place to buy used books online, is ABE Books. In my last search at ABE, I came up with 918 used books by Dr Flesch...
http://www.abebooks.com

US Department of Defense (DoD)...
All the branches of the DoD use the Flesch style of writing to achieve writing clarity and reader comprehension. This is particularly important with regards to the manuals of nuclear weapons. You simply do NOT want people to make mistakes in that area.

Flesch Writing Style Software...
I know of at least 5 Flesch writing style software packages. You use these programs to correct your writing. The one I use is named Right Writer. It acts like a Flesch editor, correcting what I write in accordance with Dr Flesch formula for readable writing. To find info on these Flesch software programs, do a Google.com search with: "Rudolf Flesch."

Review of Flesch Writing Style Software...
http://corax.cwrl.utexas.edu/cac/arc...Mortenson.html

Results...
After you learn Dr Flesch system, you will notice that you can write faster and with greater clarity. What happened? Well, your writing becomes less laborious and difficult. Instead, you write with great ease. You go from difficult writing to easy writing. It is, indeed, a joy!

English as a 2nd language...
If English is NOT your first language, the Flesch writing system is highly recommended. It is very, very helpful. The reason for this is the emphasis on short, easy sentences.

Good luck with this information!

Dec 11, 2002 at 7:37 PM Post #21 of 42
GREAT review!

Moderators, please stamp this one with the "Full-Featured Review" stamp of approval
smily_headphones1.gif

And definitely try the Cerafines - they're quite great, IMHO
biggrin.gif

I recommend experimenting a bit with how many/what type you use
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #22 of 42
Hi Gariver, I'm a Columbia grad also, but I believe that the University of Chicago has 79 Nobel winners. Of course, all schools vastly inflate their "Nobel count", but 65's not bad...

Dec 11, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #25 of 42
andrzejpw:

Nice job on the Meta42 and review!
smily_headphones1.gif

gdahl:
Quote:

Originally posted by gdahl
I need to get my stuff together and put together my own META42. I think I have nearly all of the parts...

If it's anything like your 'My new pride and joy! (tube headphone amp)...it'll probably be a killer! Please post when you get it done!

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=21197

Dec 11, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #26 of 42
Uh, well, english is technically my second language, but I've lived here practically all my life. Polish is actually my first, though I've gone to school here all my life.
frown.gif
I'm so confused now. All of my English teachers have focused on teaching a vivid and detailed writing style. ie: if you can, combine the sentences.
eek.gif

JMT/Eric: The thing is, I'm using 330 uF caps now. I don't really want to step down to 220uF Cerafines, since I'd be losing that much capacitance. When I have time, I'll upgrade to the 470s, and save the 220s for later.

Dec 11, 2002 at 11:46 PM Post #27 of 42
Andrzejpw:

Help me out! What is your Alps Blue? Is it a 10K, 20K or 50K pot?

On your writing...
In general, your writing is excellent. I said that above. However, when your sentences are too long, comprehension suffers. That was my experience reading your review.

Usually, when you separate the subject and predicate with too many words, comprehension drops sharply. That's why short sentences are easy to understand. Some people at Head-Fi manage to link 3 to 4 sentences together. Wow! It's tough reading that stuff! So compared to those people, your writing is 1st class.

Now, since you asked for a review, I suspect you want to improve your writing. That's where Dr Flesch's books come in. With these books, anyone can improve his English writing skills. I am sure you will gain something with Dr Flesch's The Classic Guide to Better Writing. A decade ago, this book had a different title: The New Guide to Better Writing. In its 50th anniversary the word "classic" was added.

Conclusions? You wrote an excellent review of the META42!!! Congratulations!

Dec 12, 2002 at 12:04 AM Post #28 of 42
hum, you guys wouldn't like Proust
biggrin.gif

but yeah, for technical writing, the shorter the better.

I should have a look on Flesch's book. But my English is still so bad
frown.gif

Dec 13, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #29 of 42
I thought it was a great review. However, if you are going to college for business, they will also teach you "shorter is better." Complex sentence structure pleases English teachers and those who like Faulkner but rarely your pointy-haired boss. Of course after you read my signature tag-line below, you may legitimately disregard this entire post.
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #30 of 42
Great job! Andrze.

Now, how about sicking another 6 EL2001's on them babies? 4 EL2001s per channel, one on top of each other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back