Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier Review
Nov 22, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #31 of 299
As a consumer I like to see products where the optional accessories are things where it does not add to its performance, I like to know that the product I am buying is as good as it could possibly be. If companies feel that the PSU will improve the sound to the next level than include in the package as an standard unit. As a consumer I think it is important to voice your concerns, if you tolerate too many things change will likely not come about.

I for one at that price tag would have a different standard for what I have with some thing under 1K.

If you want Meridian "as good as it could possibly be," I think it'll cost you around $22,000 for the Meridian 808v5. As for me, I'm glad they have a more affordable option in the Prime, and that I might be able to further improve its performance, if I want to, by spending another $1250 for the power supply.

For some, the Prime might be out of reach if the only way it could be bought was with the fancier power supply. I like that it's a choice.

That said, I'll be giving that Prime power supply upgrade a whirl soon. Chris Connaker at ComputerAudiophile seemed to think the upgraded power supply was worth it. I'll let you know if I agree, before long.

Nice review Jude. It would be nice to see a comparison with the Naim DAC-V1 another venerable British brand and at the same price point.

I happen to have the Naim DAC-V1 here, to evaluate for possible inclusion in the holiday update to the buying guide. It might be a little while before I can get to a direct comparison, but I'll see what I can do (after the guide update is done).

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #32 of 299
^Jude, thx for the review and as a member of the community, I also wanna thank you for a wonderful forum where we can discuss/argue/share our viewpoints/experience honestly and openly.  Sometimes, it's hard to keep interests clearly and not conflicting but I personally hope that as someone who has a lot more access to equipments new/old, affordable/expensive, you always give us your honest impression/evaluation so we all can look at/use as a reference base on which we decide how to spend our hard-earned $.  Again, Thx.

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #33 of 299
Am I the only one who is really put off about the $2000 dollar amp that comes with a $1250 optional PSU which is not really optional if you know what I mean?

I feel the same way, but more than that, it's a $2K amp that comes with a "wall power supply"? Seriously?? For $2K I'd expect an amp with a proper internal power supply using a toroidal transformer, not some type of wall-wart. And the internal pic from that article linked earlier shows that it uses an op-amp to drive the output stage. Another "seriously?!" on that. For the price they couldn't use a discrete solution?

I think the mere fact that the Meridian Web site lacks any tech specs of the amp speaks for itself, it's all just a bunch of marketing-speak. And 250mW @ 32 Ohms as mentioned in Jude's post is pathetic. That's only going to effectively drive most standard low-impedance sensitive headphones and not much else.

And who named this thing Prime? The entire first page of Google results on "Meridian Prime" is just a bunch of geography-related results on the prime meridian, nothing remotely audio-related.

For $1K more (or less with that optional PSU), one could buy the HeadAmp GS-X MK2 which is fully balanced / dual mono into separate amp & PSU chassis, discrete, and has ~8X the output power.

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #34 of 299

I feel the same way, but more than that, it's a $2K amp that comes with a "wall power supply"? Seriously?? For $2K I'd expect an amp with a proper internal power supply using a toroidal transformer, not some type of wall-wart. And the internal pic from that article linked earlier shows that it uses an op-amp to drive the output stage. Another "seriously?!" on that. For the price they couldn't use a discrete solution?

I think the mere fact that the Meridian Web site lacks any tech specs of the amp speaks for itself, it's all just a bunch of marketing-speak. And 250mW @ 32 Ohms as mentioned in Jude's post is pathetic. That's only going to effectively drive most standard low-impedance sensitive headphones and not much else.

And who named this thing Prime? The entire first page of Google results on "Meridian Prime" is just a bunch of geography-related results on the prime meridian, nothing remotely audio-related.

For $1K more (or less with that optional PSU), one could buy the HeadAmp GS-X MK2 which is fully balanced / dual mono into separate amp & PSU chassis, discrete, and has ~8X the output power.

Hey hey, take it easy Asr.  You know it already costs $1500 just to put the name "Meridian" on a product.  That only leaves $500 for actual product development. 
biggrin.gif
  wait wait, my equation is messed up cuz I can't figure out why Emotiva Mini-X is only $160.  
tongue.gif

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #35 of 299

The company is named for exactly what you found... I've owned over 15 Meridian components for the past 20 yrs starting w the 200 series kit....(which is still used daily-including my M 20 speakers that I'm listening to now)

But as an owner of Schitt Gun/Mjo fully balanced system, why no balanced output on the Prime?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_meridian_(Greenwich)

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #36 of 299
I have been listening now to this Amplifier (without Prime Power) for the last 2 days and I have to say that irrespective of the internals of this unit and how it "should" sound the Meridian Prime is a very capable headphone amplifier. What I love about the amplifier is that it is a complete joy to listen to, musical and yet detailed and very dynamic. I am currently only running it from my desktop over USB to a pair of B&W P7, but have fluctuated between those and the Beyerdynamic T1 and HD800. The Prime easily gives these headphones what they require and offers exceptional levels of detail and composure even at very high volumes. I found myself able to turn the volume pot up and up and up without getting the feeling that it was ever too loud, and I love that about PMC/Bryston rigs I set up at work (I call it PMC Ear).

I definitely recommend listening to it prior to making assumptions.

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #37 of 299
Very interesting perspective from someone who has actually listened to the Prime, so thanks very much for your input. Incidentally, is there any chance of you cracking the case open and seeing what opamp is used and whether it's socketed or soldered? If it's socketed and compatible with the MUSES02 I'm thinking of opamp rolling. 

Quote:
  I have been listening now to this Amplifier (without Prime Power) for the last 2 days and I have to say that irrespective of the internals of this unit and how it "should" sound the Meridian Prime is a very capable headphone amplifier. What I love about the amplifier is that it is a complete joy to listen to, musical and yet detailed and very dynamic. I am currently only running it from my desktop over USB to a pair of B&W P7, but have fluctuated between those and the Beyerdynamic T1 and HD800. The Prime easily gives these headphones what they require and offers exceptional levels of detail and composure even at very high volumes. I found myself able to turn the volume pot up and up and up without getting the feeling that it was ever too loud, and I love that about PMC/Bryston rigs I set up at work (I call it PMC Ear).

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #41 of 299
I can't help with agree with some of the others about the price.  Although I had similar reservations about the Resonessence Concero from appearance of seemingly humble components and was blown away by it.  I think the newer Concero HP as an all in one could likely outperform this new Meridian and it sells for about $800.  Heck, even the Wadia 121 is a decent unit at $1300 from a normally mega expensive brand despite being plagued with bugs.  Not to mention the new Light Harmonic Geek Pulse that's going for $350 for backers and $500 at retail.  They are going to have tough competition.

Nov 24, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #42 of 299
Hey hey, take it easy Asr.  You know it already costs $1500 just to put the name "Meridian" on a product.  That only leaves $500 for actual product development. 
biggrin.gif
  wait wait, my equation is messed up cuz I can't figure out why Emotiva Mini-X is only $160.  
tongue.gif

Heh, well the execution of the amp makes it look like a higher-up at Meridian thought: "Hey let's make a headphone amp! But let's make it as cheaply as possible and sell it for as much as possible!"

I see that you're an MOT who sells the Meridian Prime, along with those headphones you mentioned too. So can anyone legitimately take anything away from your post? You might want to read the MOT posting rules on Head-Fi too: http://head-fi.org/a/terms-of-service

Nov 24, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #43 of 299

Heh, well the execution of the amp makes it look like a higher-up at Meridian thought: "Hey let's make a headphone amp! But let's make it as cheaply as possible and sell it for as much as possible!"

I see that you're an MOT who sells the Meridian Prime, along with those headphones you mentioned too. So can anyone legitimately take anything away from your post? You might want to read the MOT posting rules on Head-Fi too: http://head-fi.org/a/terms-of-service

+1.  Well said on both points.

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #44 of 299
I'm with ASR here.  $2000 op-amp driven output stage with a wallwart PSU?  Wow...every manufacturer is cashing here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back