Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier Review
Nov 22, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #17 of 299
Hope it sounds better than it looks. An ugly duckling for sure.

Ya my first impression was, WHAT THE,... so ugly.

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #18 of 299
  Honestly doubt that.  But again, my Fiio E17 can drive the HE-6 too in a pinch if I have nothing else to work with.  Music is music sometimes 
wink.gif

But how wonderful to hear that it pairs very well with the new AD and LCD-X...

I agree.  What does that mean by DRIVING the headphone ? my ipod nano can drive HE6, LCD2 and HD800.  As long as I don't hear it loud, I connect and I hear the music, period.

To be honest, I am little tired of searching the right amp that can drive Planar and high ohm dynamic headphones,  I was fooled by the SR71B portable amp that can drive LCD2/HD650 etc, and Burson 160DS can drive all HE6, LCD2, HD800.  IMO absolutely NOT !, non of these amps can produce loud and clear sound IMO, especially portable amps ? forget it, you might be able to drive IEM nicely but not the headphones.

I am not willing to spend $5k+ on amps, better invest that kind of money into real estate IMO lol.. :)

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #19 of 299
Having already seen some internal pics of this amp, I can't believe pricetag of this amp. Normally I don't feel need to respond at productintro's before having heard myself, but this time I really doubt there's a (big) market for this amp (with this pricing) compared to other i.m.o. more interesting products already availlable. See review and internal pics.

http://andreweverard.com/2013/11/21/review-meridian-prime-headphone-amplifier-much-more-than-the-name-suggests/

Not trying to offend designers of Meridian, but I believe they should have designed a more "High-End amp with look & feel" matching this pricetag! But as said this is only my personal opinion. Maybe I'm wrong...

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #20 of 299
  I agree.  What does that mean by DRIVING the headphone ? my ipod nano can drive HE6, LCD2 and HD800.  As long as I don't hear it loud, I connect and I hear the music, period.

To be honest, I am little tired of searching the right amp that can drive Planar and high ohm dynamic headphones,  I was fooled by the SR71B portable amp that can drive LCD2/HD650 etc, and Burson 160DS can drive all HE6, LCD2, HD800.  IMO absolutely NOT !, non of these amps can produce loud and clear sound IMO, especially portable amps ? forget it, you might be able to drive IEM nicely but not the headphones.

I am not willing to spend $5k+ on amps, better invest that kind of money into real estate IMO lol.. :)

I am using a RSA Intruder to drive LCD 2 rev 2 and LCD 3. They do not sound like from the Burson Conductor but it's PRETTY DAMN CLOSE! And this is single ended. I haven't yet tried balanced out ...

What did you miss when listening to LCD2 out of SR71B that makes you say "absolutely NOT"  ?

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #21 of 299
  Am I the only one who is really put off about the $2000 dollar amp that comes with a $1250 optional PSU which is not really optional if you know what I mean?

It wouldn't be a Meridian if it didn't have a snob-friendly MSRP attached to it. They probably weren't happy with too many regular peasants buying the Explorer model.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #22 of 299
How does it stack up against other offerings ? Basically this is exactly what I’m looking for – a high quality all in one unit. How would it compare to separate options like V200/V800 or DA8/A18 combinations ?

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #23 of 299

It wouldn't be a Meridian if it didn't have a snob-friendly MSRP attached to it. They probably weren't happy with too many regular peasants buying the Explorer model.

With the internet/forums and so much shared experience among customers, that day is coming to an end pretty soon.  There will still people who are willing to pay for the name regardless whether they can really afford the price and once they have done so, they will die defending their decisions and will always think what they own/paid for is the best.  :)
Not saying Meridian products are not great in anyway but their prices are often a little harsh :)  for the performance level.  These days, there are a lot of other options which often are much less.

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #25 of 299
Am I the only one who is really put off about the $2000 dollar amp that comes with a $1250 optional PSU which is not really optional if you know what I mean?

Well it's a bit off putting to see that it is USB digital only and SE headphone jack only for 2 Gs.
Just my humble opinion, but for that much money I would at least expect to see a SPDIF input, or maybe two.

But I do think it looks very nice.

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #26 of 299
I personally don't understand the criticisms regarding the price. For one, I wouldn't expect Meridian to enter the headphone amp/DAC market with anything other than a major splash. Second, their products are always well engineered. Third, their products, the Explorer aside, are never inexpensive. Wanna buy a Soolos? And how much would a similar product from McIntosh Labs sell for? Fourth, I believe that it is good of them to have the power supply as an optional purchase for those people who feel they don't need it or for people who would rather have the basic unit now and spring for the upgraded PSU later. Fifth, this isn't the only high end amp/DAC that sells in the 3000 to 4000 price range with all the bells and whistles. Heck, there are many revered amps without a DAC component that sell for more than the fully tricked out Meridian.

While I understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I don't find the MP to be unattractive. Rather, I like the stackable nature of the amp/DAC and PSU, kind of like the PS Audio Perfectwave DAC and Transport, the Auralic Vega and Taurus, or the mac mini with 3rd party stackable hard drives.

Oh, and I love the wordplay on "prime meridian."

Esau

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #27 of 299

You can always go with cheaper alternatives like TeddyPardo, Kingrex or MCRU.
Merdian's PSU has 4 or 5 12V power outlets that can power other meridian products altogether.

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #28 of 299
As a consumer I like to see products where the optional accessories are things where it does not add to its performance, I like to know that the product I am buying is as good as it could possibly be. If companies feel that the PSU will improve the sound to the next level than include in the package as an standard unit. As a consumer I think it is important to voice your concerns, if you tolerate too many things change will likely not come about.

I for one at that price tag would have a different standard for what I have with some thing under 1K.

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #29 of 299
nice review except to giving props to the kind of blue remaster :xf_eek:. I've yet to hear a remaster that I actually enjoyed over the original, especially with classic albums such as kind of blue. That remaster really does not sound good to me and so I must offer an anti recommendation. There are imperfections in the original recording but it is what it is, a master will not fix those. What that remaster is trying to mask ends up taking away that beautiful, sparse sound of the original recording. Sorry to get off track :p

All these reviews already with lcd-x... man I want to hear one.

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #30 of 299
Nice review Jude. It would be nice to see a comparison with the Naim DAC-V1 another venerable British brand and at the same price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back