Melodic Jazz like "Kind of Blue"?
Aug 29, 2008 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

juniperlater

1000+ Head-Fier
I am looking for some new jazz. However, I am not that into jazz. I really like Kind of Blue - it is the first jazz album I have really been into. Any ideas as to where to go next?

Aug 29, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 14
Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage - number one all-time . the deepest funk. don't get the re-master.

Miles Davis - Someday My Prince Will Come - the most groovin .

Miles - Milestones - perhaps not as "beautiful" as Kind of Blue, but known in circles as his best. Miles is always there, whether he's playing or not.

Aug 29, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 14
Freddie Hubbard - Ready for Freddie.

Very similar sound to Kind of Blue, full of chill vibes and modal improvisation.

Aug 29, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 14
Miles Davis' 'Round About Midnight and Someday My Prince Will Come would be great next steps, but if you wanna move past Miles Davis albums, you might try something by Chet Baker. I particularly like the compilations Deep in a Dream: The Ultimate Chet Baker Collection and The Best Of...on Riverside. (There's also a great import of later work called White Blues, but it's probably not so easy to find.)

Aug 29, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 14
For more Miles - 'Round Midnight and Someday My Prince Will Come on Columbia are great, and so are the Cookin, Workin, Relaxin and Steamin albums on Prestige label.

Moving beyond Miles, I second tru blu on Chet Baker. You can also try Dave Brubeck's Time Out and Time Further Out - both are easy to like.

I would also recommend 2 Duke Ellington with Johnny Hodges albums - Back To Back and Side By Side.

Aug 30, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #9 of 14
41W068RH1ML._SS400_.jpg

515TV1a6jrL._SS500_.jpg

Aug 30, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #10 of 14
Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up. Especially song 1 "Tanya" 18 minutes of beautiful jazz

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #11 of 14
Kind of Blue is a great place to start - it has a way of grabbing people who never knew they'd love jazz. Another album that consistently does this is Time Out by Dave Brubeck. And if you love Time Out, you will love Brubeck's Time Further Out. It doesn't get the attention the first one does, but it's at least 98% as good. You should love both. Another that should pull you in is Waltz For Debby, by Bill Evans.

Sep 3, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #12 of 14
I have a lot of your suggestions on order from the library. I did find both Dave Brubeck cds. I haven't had a chance to ingest Time Further Out, but Time Out is dynamite. Not as earth-shaking as Kind of Blue to me, but fantastic. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #14 of 14
Usually, after playing Kind of Blue, I end up reaching for John Coltrane's Blue Train.

coltra_john_bluetrain_101b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back