Meier Audio StageDAC
Nov 25, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #271 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is this as a pre-amp? I see it has two pre-outs, one fixed and one variable. I need two variable outputs (one for amp, one for sub).

I don't imagine it would be that hard to open this up, unhook the fixed outputs and solder a connection from the variable over to the fixed, thus having two variable outputs. Any comments on that? Particularly from someone who's seen the inside of this unit?

I suppose you could potentially remove the jumper and solder the connections. The jumper is on the front left side of the picture, behind the volume control. If you remove the jumper, you have two fixed connections.

Nov 27, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #272 of 634
Hi JAN,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Headfellows,

> you must look for the TENOR TE7022L chip

I did but only found very little technical information and the chip seems to be very hard to get. There must be a reason for it!??

Please send a e-mail to Tenor@gfec.com.tw if you are interesting in TENOR TE7022L
> it is surprising the scarce options we have for USB 24/96.

From what I understand Windows does not support these applications with standard drivers. Therefore any company has to provide its own drivers. Also no USB-audio chips are available that can use this format. Therefore standard USB-streamers have to be used and made suitable for audio-applications by extensive processor programming. Only very few companies have the man-power and the expertise to do so.
Be aware that Meier-Audio is a one-man company and that my products are produced in relatively small batches only. This makes USB 24/96 simply unfeasible.

There are many companies that are much larger then mine and yet they do not provide USB 24/96 either. Again, there must be a reason for that!

Right now for those interested the only solution seems to be the use of an appropriate USB-SPDIF converter.

Apple Mac OS/Microsoft XP/Vista/Win 7 native USB Audio driver can support 24bit and 96Khz. No need any extra driver. TE7022L can supoprt 16/24bit and 32/44.1/48/96Khz sampling on both I2S and SPDIF interface.
> do you have the dimensions of the case?

width: 28 cm (11")
height: 7 cm (2,7", feet included)
depth: 14 cm ( 5,5", without volume knob and RCA-connectors)

As you can see the enclosure is much wider then its depth. This allows me to keep the powersupply (at the left of the enclosure), the digital section (middle), and the analog section (right) very well separated. Thus there are no interferences between the magnetic fields of the built-in transformers and the analog section.

> you say not many people use XLR, but that is not true. More people use XLR nowadays than you think.

People who use XLR normally use amplifiers and DAC-converters that are a multiple of the price of a STAGEDAC. Goal of the STAGEDAC is not to provide the best DAC in the world but to provide the best DAC at a price that is still affordable for the common man. Due to the concept of the crossfeed the addition of XLR outputs would have added significantly to the technical complexity of the amp. As an example all switching would have to be done by additional relais since mechanical switches are only able to switch 2-channels simultaneously. Relais are expensive, would be needed in a rather large quantity and would require a more beefy powersupply.

The STAGEDAC, like all of my products, is a compromise between performance and price. I do not have the pretention to provide the very best in the world. I only have the intention to provide the best value-for-money.

Cheers

Jan

Nov 27, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #273 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonardo_BVB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Edoardo, answering your questions:

1. This is the first hardware implementation of crossfeed that I have ever tried. With my computer I have listened to few crossfeed solutions. Even iTunes has a implementation of crossfeed. Apple just has to give a "cool" name to everything: it is called "sound enhancer". It is a crosfeed filter with some loudness equalization added in the mix so they can keep "the secret Apple formula". Have a go in iTunes and try, for instance, "Norwegian Wood" from the Beatles. You will understand what the crossfeed does in a second (iTunes->edit->preferences->playback tab ->sound enhancer).

2. The crossfeed effect do improve the imaging and, far from being unrealistic, actually "mends" the spatial separation in the mixing of badly produced recordings. It does not "add" as such anything to the "cocktail" short to speak, it just "sakes it better".

3. The combination of the Stagedac with the GS and AKG is very lineal but too clinical for my taste. Without valves, it would make a perfect set up for studio monitoring. I must admit that even when my AKG are excellent, they are too precise and a little bit unexciting for me. They are great for string quatets and piano (horses for courses).

4. The delay effect in the Stagedac, as I explained in the second part of my review, suppose to mimic the effect that the angle of your speakers have in the listener. As I commented in one of my posts, it was very difficult for me to notice any change with music, but the effect was very apparent in mono recordings when the balance was moved totally to the right or left (as indicated in the manual). I do not think people will notice very much with the delay option, to be honest. For better information, I recommend you to download the manual from the website and read Jan's own words.

I hope that helped.
o2smile.gif

It did: just perfect. Thank you very much.

Dec 1, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #275 of 634
Dec 2, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #277 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations on the good review, Jan
normal_smile .gif

x2!

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #278 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Headfellows,

For those interested, a review of the STAGEDAC now can be found on 6moons:

6moons audio reviews: Meier Audio Corda StageDAC

:)

Jan

Now I'm getting really interested in this DAC. Being almost identical twin sonically to DA100 Signature, a DAC I was certain to buy next. More choices is definetly welcome. Congrats on very positive review!

Dec 2, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #280 of 634
just emailed Jan to place an order.
that was the "final push" i needed
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #281 of 634
I am very interested in this dac, and i have a question:
as I understood there are a few sampling feauters, and I wanted to know if there is a significant difference in sound between them...I mean like really noticeable difference (like EQ ).
and another question, is this dac considered generally a warm sounding dac?
I have a rather cold/analytical sound coming from my own dac and I am looking for something warmer that will not tear my pocket. also, this wolfson dac looks interesting...I know from experience (cowon portable players) that it is a very good quality dac.

Dec 4, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #282 of 634
Differences are audiable with good cans, i found STAGEDAC generally analytic sounding, but you can push it more analogish with right sampling/filtering setting(2:2 for example). There is also "tonal balance" switch, aka "bass boost", that increases lower freqs. little bit, in medium position it gives my K701 a bit more "warmness" they might lack sometimes.

Dec 4, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #283 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emokid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Differences are audiable with good cans, i found STAGEDAC generally analytic sounding, but you can push it more analogish with right sampling/filtering setting(2:2 for example). There is also "tonal balance" switch, aka "bass boost", that increases lower freqs. little bit, in medium position it gives my K701 a bit more "warmness" they might lack sometimes.

I didn't know that it has some kind of bass boost. I assume that it has more effect than the sampling feauters?

Dec 4, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #284 of 634
Well, bassboost is not right term, as stated in manual "...frequencies below 2 kHz ale SLIGHTLY elevated to correct the tonal balance." It may has more obvious effect, but sampling features are more about whole perception of sound, while TB does just a very small EQ boost of lower freqs.

Dec 4, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #285 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emokid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, bassboost is not right term, as stated in manual "...frequencies below 2 kHz ale SLIGHTLY elevated to correct the tonal balance." It may has more obvious effect, but sampling features are more about whole perception of sound, while TB works just like a very small EQ boost of lower freqs.

thanks, the stage dac sure sounds like a great dac. I am looking to upgrade mine but afraid that it will sound the same, despite the different dac chip (cirrus vs. wolfson). my current headroom dac doesn't have any feauters to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back