Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #2,446 of 3,070
Mike, and vwinter, thanks for your input.

I'm now cautiously optimistic that I won't have a problem, because when I'm listening in my quality time, my damned phone will be switched OFF! Really looking forward to getting this micro-rig up and running. I will do a quick test when I receive the 2Stepdance from Jan some time next week and report back. If I think there's an issue then another 110 Euros will be in order, but hopefully not.

I am an avid concert taper and already use an M10 - awesome machine. Using an M10 for playback seems a natural progression and I have read many good things about the line-out performance here on Head-Fi.  I've never used an iPhone or iPod and have no desire to do so.

I'm now planning to get a second M10 for heavy duty, long-term every-day listening, just to keep my M10 recorder in pristine nick for those critical gigs!.

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #2,447 of 3,070
Quote:
I don't think the PCStep has as much power as the 2Stepdance or Quickstep, because Dr. Meier used fewer paralleled OPA209s in that design (presumably to make room for the DAC circuitry).

Yeah PCStep only has 2 single OPA209 opamps instead of the 5 in 2Stepdance or Quickstep
It doesnt have the RF filtering as well but I have experienced no interference when stacked with my mobile phone and walking about

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #2,448 of 3,070
Mike, and vwinter, thanks for your input.

I'm now cautiously optimistic that I won't have a problem, because when I'm listening in my quality time, my damned phone will be switched OFF! Really looking forward to getting this micro-rig up and running. I will do a quick test when I receive the 2Stepdance from Jan some time next week and report back. If I think there's an issue then another 110 Euros will be in order, but hopefully not.

I am an avid concert taper and already use an M10 - awesome machine. Using an M10 for playback seems a natural progression and I have read many good things about the line-out performance here on Head-Fi.  I've never used an iPhone or iPod and have no desire to do so.

I'm now planning to get a second M10 for heavy duty, long-term every-day listening, just to keep my M10 recorder in pristine nick for those critical gigs!.

I should be embarrassed for hardly ever using the PCM-M10 as a recorder. Good for you! :)

Do you know about its "stealth mode" - the feature that extinguishes the LCD display and all of the LEDs so that you can record a concert with less chance of getting caught? :wink:

Mike

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #2,449 of 3,070
Quote:
I don't think the PCStep has as much power as the 2Stepdance or Quickstep, because Dr. Meier used fewer paralleled OPA209s in that design (presumably to make room for the DAC circuitry).

Take all of this with a big grain of salt.  
biggrin.gif

Mike

Quote:
Yeah PCStep only has 2 single OPA209 opamps instead of the 5 in 2Stepdance or Quickstep
It doesnt have the RF filtering as well but I have experienced no interference when stacked with my mobile phone and walking about

I am quite sure that at least some of those three extra opamps are devoted to the active ground - therefore not to extra power per se. I do not know however how the actual power output compares between the Quickstep and PCStep.

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #2,450 of 3,070
Hi everyone, I'm looking hard for a 15v regulated adapter, this one looks like a perfect match! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-Regulated-Power-supply-15V/dp/B004ECG2HU. Kindly advice anyone? Thanks in advanced!

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #2,451 of 3,070
Looks good, but you'll need an adapter to go from its 2.1 mm power connector down to 1.35 mm for your Meier portable amp.

Or...

You could get this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro®-Worldwide-Variable-Voltage-replacement/dp/B007933AL2

Set it to 15V, and use the included 3.5 x 1.35 mm (outside diameter x inside diameter) adapter.  (I know that a 1.35 mm inside diameter will work, even though Jan's specifications call for a 1.30 mm inside diameter.)

I suspect they are both switch-mode as opposed to linear power supplies, but they are at least regulated. Try it to see if you can hear any switch-mode noise during play. If not, you scored!

Mike

Update:  Corrections applied, per Jan's post, below.

Aug 15, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #2,453 of 3,070
Quote:
Many thanks for the info! But I think it is a safer bet to get the one I posted with a adapter?

It doesn't look as if the voltage selector of the adapter I linked could be moved accidentally, but if you're concerned about it moving off of 15V, you could just put a piece of tape over it.  
smile.gif

Where would you get an adapter for the one you posted?  

You need to get from 5.5 mm x 2.1 mm (outside diameter x inside diameter) down to 3.5 mm x 1.3 mm  - those are very hard to find outside North America, it seems.  I've purchased and mailed several such adapters to people in the UK, Switzerland, and  Hong Kong, but I'm tired of doing that frankly, even though it's not all that expensive for me.  It's just a hassle.  If you can find a source for those in the UK, please post it here for future reference.

This is what it looks like:

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=PSTWX07

Mike

Update:  Corrections applied, per Jan's post, below.

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #2,454 of 3,070
Just a note:

The inside/outside diameters of the power plug should be 1.3/3.5 mm (0.05”/0.14”).

This is a fairly normal size. Most supplies that come with a set of connectors do have this size included.

Cheers

Jan

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #2,455 of 3,070
Quote:
Just a note:

The inside/outside diameters of the power plug should be 1.3/3.5 mm (0.05”/0.14”).

This is a fairly normal size. Most supplies that come with a set of connectors do have this size included.

Cheers

Jan

Thanks Jan - I apologize for not checking the manual before making my posts.  
size]

I have applied corrections to my earlier posts.

I'm surprised (but believe you, certainly) when you say that 1.3/3.5 is a common size (in Europe).   I suppose the people outside the U.S. for whom I've gone to the trouble of ordering and sending adapters just haven't been diligent enough when searching for local sources.  

Thanks,

Mike

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #2,460 of 3,070
Hi Everyone,

I've listen to my Sony M10 + 2Stepdance (15V) + Grado M1 for two months, now I found there randomly (every abot 15 ~ 45 min) appears a very loud noisy shock for about 2 seconds. I am quite sure the problem is come from 2Stepdance. Does anybody know what is the cause of this problem, and the way to solve?

Thank you!

Best regards,

Airwater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back