Meelectronics AI-M9 Earphones
Jul 9, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #31 of 121
very interested how they would compare to the RE2's since the price is almost identical

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #32 of 121
You're right ljokerl, the NX55 would be 32ohm. Saw it is not there on the Victor page.

I'll report back how the M6 are. I'm glad they let me change. They are charging $40 for the M6 and $20 for the M9 on their website. So, I guess they didn't have to switch them for me if they didn't want to. When they came out I think they were $60 for the M9 and $50 for the M6. I wonder if they are trying to clear out the M9 for a replacement/new model?

Jul 9, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #33 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're right ljokerl, the NX55 would be 32ohm. Saw it is not there on the Victor page.

I'll report back how the M6 are. I'm glad they let me change. They are charging $40 for the M6 and $20 for the M9 on their website. So, I guess they didn't have to switch them for me if they didn't want to. When they came out I think they were $60 for the M9 and $50 for the M6. I wonder if they are trying to clear out the M9 for a replacement/new model?

Lets hope so. The budget manufacturers are really stepping up lately, what with the Soundmagic PL50s, the new Brainwavz, etc. Seems like a lot of the higher-end phones that were just "ok" before are now in direct competition with some of the better budget stuff. And losing.

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #34 of 121
Didn't think I would get them till the beginning of next week but here they are...
P1010012-2.jpg

P1010015-1.jpg

P1010016-1.jpg

P1010017-1.jpg

They need to burn-in but seem to sound the same as the M9 did out of the box. I would say they are just different version housings with the same driver.

Very good to lie down with these and decent with glasses even with the memory wire. The memory wire doesn't annoy me like the one on the Altec 336 does.

The foamies are very similar to the Sennhesier IE and JVC FX300 ones.

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #35 of 121
they actually look rather nice! re: my other thread, how do they sound vs. the GX200's would you say?

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #36 of 121
Long time since I had the G200's but these have less bass and a more balanced signature. The soundstage is larger top to bottom. The GX200 separation is really good and it has more lush mids, very syrupy and some of the best. The M6/M9 have better treble. I remember the GX200 having less detail.

The M6 is the better phone objectively but my GX200 died on me. I would have liked to have gotten more burn-in on them and had more tips to try.

The thick GX200 mids are quite addicting as is the ruthless separation of guitar notes. So, while one performs a bit better preference really comes into play. The M6/9 have nice depth and, for me, a real fun factor which is also enjoyable.

You would probably have to hear both to know which you prefer. You got a nice deal on the GX200 and it was a no-brainer to try them.

Jul 11, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #37 of 121
yea I think for £14 the GX200's are a winner but these M6's sure look interesting, maybe one to check out in the future coz I love the look of these

Jul 11, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #38 of 121
I'm sure when the price drops you will grab a pair.

I'm still burning them in but I have been playing with tips. I do like the clear ebay bi-flanges on them. This might change when they clear up a bit. The stocks are nice tips, the same silicone tips that come with the Alpha Brainwavz.

The cool thing is that the sound tube has no lip and fits most tips quite nicely. The Head-Direct type that would need to stretch on go on easy as do E2C tips and some normal canalphone tips(a bit loose for some though).

The M6 handle microphonics really very well also. The comfort is better than I thought it would be. I like the looks quite a bit also.

Jul 11, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #39 of 121
How deeply are they meant to be inserted? They look to be a similar housing to the PL30/Nuforce NE-8, which are quite shallow-insertion and thus have mediocre isolation. If they sound identical to the M9, that may be a dealbreaker.

Jul 11, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #40 of 121
I had the PL30. The M6 have a longer and more angled tube that is more toward the edge of the housing. More like a Westone. The tube sticks out 7-8mm and, like I said earlier, it has no lip so tips can be more forward and pushed back if you like. They seem to be able to get decent isolation similar to a UM2 with silicone tips. Not Shure or Ety or my CK10 but better than the likes of the RE0, PL30, and M9.

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #41 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the PL30. The M6 have a longer and more angled tube that is more toward the edge of the housing. More like a Westone. The tube sticks out 7-8mm and, like I said earlier, it has no lip so tips can be more forward and pushed back if you like. They seem to be able to get decent isolation similar to a UM2 with silicone tips. Not Shure or Ety or my CK10 but better than the likes of the RE0, PL30, and M9.

Sounds pretty good so far.

I've been giving the AI-M9's a listen myself and I'm pretty impressed. These can definitely give my PL30s a run for their money on a $20 budget. The sound sig is definitely very different from the soundmagics - far more clarity and bass control, as well as higher treble extension, at the expense of the PL30s' bassy, intimate warmth. I'm not quite sure which I prefer as these are closer to the Head-Direct earphones in sig than the soundmagics/Maximo line. I still use the PL30s when I get bored of the accuracy and cleanliness of my Etys/RE's.

I would say that if clarity and balance is what you're after, these offer about 75% of the sound quality of an RE0 at <25% of the sale price of the latter. Thats quite a nice bang-for-the-buck in my book. Haven't had a chance to compare these to my RE2's directly yet, but I have a feeling it may be a closer competition than I expected.

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #43 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a review of them:

MEElectronics Ai-M6 & Ai-M9 Review - Royalty on a Budget | TouchMyApps

Cool, thanks a lot. That's a great read. I guess the ideal solution is to wear the AI-M9 over-the-ear (i.e. what I'm doing right now
tongue.gif
) and save $20.

Also, makes me curious how the AI-M2 and the other MEElec, the SX-31 compare to these. Is it possible one (or both) of them share the same drivers? All the specs seem to match up from what I can see. I believe jant has owned the M2, so he may be able to enlighten us.

Jul 14, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #45 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, thanks a lot. That's a great read. I guess the ideal solution is to wear the AI-M9 over-the-ear (i.e. what I'm doing right now
tongue.gif
) and save $20.

Also, makes me curious how the AI-M2 and the other MEElec, the SX-31 compare to these. Is it possible one (or both) of them share the same drivers? All the specs seem to match up from what I can see. I believe jant has owned the M2, so he may be able to enlighten us.

The M2 is quite old. It has a house sound as if from the same OEM. I did like it but it not in the same league as the M6/M9 which have to share the same driver as I can't tell them apart with the same tips. Still has an Aluminum housing and very thin light cable. Very comfy and has nice stock tips but less treble reach, detail, and the mids are not in as good a balance(not really recessed but a bit further away). Nice separation and punchy bass and quite fun.

I am really liking the M6. A bit of new toy syndrome but I prefer them to the M9. They have no problem with wind noise and they are as good as Shure and even Westone in handling Microphonics and bone conduction. There are zero distractions and just the tunes. A bit more hassle with the memory wire but fine after bending it to fit right.

Keep an eye out the M6 should show up on Newegg or Overstock or Meelec.com at the cheaper price and you can grab one if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back