MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
May 21, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #978 of 1,316
Seems safe to say you won't see products w/a newer firmware revision until you see a newer revision for downliad on the support page.

May 22, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #980 of 1,316
I don't believe they will be upgrading firmware as the original coding was contracted out and I don't think they even have an in house firmware team so updates would need to be contracted and only in the event there was a fundamental issue that prevented the unit from functioning.  There is a bit of pride in thinking they got it perfect in v1 and also keeping costs down.  Good firmware engineers aren't cheap.

May 22, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #981 of 1,316
Mine's 1.0 as well. Info from recent buyers would be more interesting though, as mine most likely is from the first batch.
I got mine a few weeks ago. It was delivered fresh from the McIntosh factory days before I picked it up; tho I don't doubt it still could have been made in the same batch as yours. Oh, it goes who saying, it's 1.0.

May 22, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #982 of 1,316
Seems safe to say you won't see products w/a newer firmware revision until you see a newer revision for downliad on the support page.

My experience with firmware upgrades over the years across a number of different product lines is that upgrades are often poorly communicated, buried on hard to find support links among other hassles.
While i would expect a company like Mcintosh to make all efforts, I know better than to count on it.
Hence my question to the group ... confirmation.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. That's helpful.

In the meantime, I have added a Schiit Wyrd between the Mac Mini and the MHA100. I was having trouble with the two locking on from time to time requiring a power down or reboot. The Wyrd not only solved that problem but seems to have opened up the soundstage on my speakers though the company makes no claims as to any sonic benefits from the product.
Haven't had time to judge any difference it might make on the headphone side yet but I'm not complaining even if it is just the LSD wearing off *Shrug*.

May 22, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #983 of 1,316

My experience with firmware upgrades over the years across a number of different product lines is that upgrades are often poorly communicated, buried on hard to find support links among other hassles.
While i would expect a company like Mcintosh to make all efforts, I know better than to count on it.
Hence my question to the group ... confirmation.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. That's helpful.

In the meantime, I have added a Schiit Wyrd between the Mac Mini and the MHA100. I was having trouble with the two locking on from time to time requiring a power down or reboot. The Wyrd not only solved that problem but seems to have opened up the soundstage on my speakers though the company makes no claims as to any sonic benefits from the product.
Haven't had time to judge any difference it might make on the headphone side yet but I'm not complaining even if it is just the LSD wearing off *Shrug*.

I think the internal DAC on the MHA100 can have issues switching rate's between files.  Not sure if it has something to do with the USB or not, but it would be interesting if the Wyrd corrected this.

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #985 of 1,316
Not much going on in this thread right now!
I am a happy new owner of one piece and i am using with HD800 cans.
Using it exclusively with a Windows 8.1 Laptop and JRiver.

Quite fine but do have two small glitches that i would like to share with the comunnity and check any workaround there might be.

1. When i turn on MHA100, it always defaults to volume 30%. The manual says it should default to the last volume used. Any one experiencing similar behaviour? Any workaround?

2. If i turn the MHA100 off with the laptop still on, Windows says "USB malfunction". That is, the MHA100 must always be powered on BEFORE the computer, and powered off AFTER the laptop has been shutdown. Is that normal.

Thanks for sharing any thougths on this,

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #986 of 1,316
Hi, yes, same behaviors here for both items.

No workaround found for 1.

Workaround for 2 if I don't want to see the recurring message (and it does nag periodically) is
A) I unplug the USB cable if the amp is off.
B) Your amp probably arrived configured like mine to turn off after 1hr of idle time. My fix to stop the continual USB nag was to disable auto off on the amp.

Are you in love with it like me otherwise?

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #987 of 1,316
I would love to audition a set of HE-1000s on the MHA100.
Really kicking myself for declining to participate in their beta tester program but I let myself be swayed by all the negativity.

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #988 of 1,316
@8raynee, 
My does the same thing about the volume and I actually prefer that. I have no experience on your second point because I am using a Mac Mini system and ti does not do that at all.

@IceClass,
I really like the sound of the HE1000 out of the MHA100. Single Ended I am using the High 150-600 ohms set and balanced I use the speaker tabs. Both sound really good but the speaker tabs have a very little advantage providing IMO better bass control and bigger and more holographic soundstage, I am keeping the HE1000 
biggrin.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 16, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #989 of 1,316
Guys,

Thanks for your input.

Must say i have emailed McIntosh Support about this a couple of weeks ago. No response yet. Will revert here if they do answer.

About the usb, since it does not happen with Apple devices, it maybe related with windows...It did not happen with my previous setup as far as i might recall...

Sure i am in love with this awesome piece, but still learning.
I normally listen at 38% volume, with bass boost +5%.

Only one month of usage so i hope it will still improve.

Also would like to try some new cans in the future, seeking a bit more "soul".
Any sugestions for a confortable pair of headphones that would "complement" the HD800? Anyone tried the new Oppo PM-3, for example? 

Cheers all,

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #990 of 1,316
  Guys,

Thanks for your input.

Must say i have emailed McIntosh Support about this a couple of weeks ago. No response yet. Will revert here if they do answer.

About the usb, since it does not happen with Apple devices, it maybe related with windows...It did not happen with my previous setup as far as i might recall...

Sure i am in love with this awesome piece, but still learning.
I normally listen at 38% volume, with bass boost +5%.

Only one month of usage so i hope it will still improve.

Also would like to try some new cans in the future, seeking a bit more "soul".
Any sugestions for a confortable pair of headphones that would "complement" the HD800? Anyone tried the new Oppo PM-3, for example? 

Cheers all,

If you're looking for a closed portable like the PM-3, I'd recommend checking out the Bowers & Wilkins P7. Warmer tonally than the HD800 for sure, but with good quality everything. Bass, mids, treble, soundstage (for a closed portable), build, aesthetics, etc. And they can be demoed at Best Buy Magnolia and certain Apple stores

Users who are viewing this thread

Back