MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
Apr 19, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #961 of 1,316
Been away from this thread for a while now.  Just got this hooked up to a pair of LS50's, and it sounds great -- no surprise at all why it's an oft-mentioned combination.  Even non-audiophiles have commented on the quality.

I have run into an issue however.  When playing music from Spotify, the songs will pause or skip from time to time (usually around the beginning or towards the end of each track).  It is hugely annoying, and doesn't happen when using the built-in speakers on my iMac w/Spotify. Nor does it ever happen with iTunes. I haven't tried testing if the same thing happens with other DAC/amp combos, but has anyone else run into similar issues?

I'm inclined to think it's a Spotify issue, but who knows...

I sometimes run Spotify and Tidal with usb from my MacBook Pro to the MHA100. I currently run Tidal and Sirius XM through a Sonos player through the optical. I've had no issues with either. I do have Radium for Mac and it pauses/skips directly on my MacBook though.

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #962 of 1,316
is it possible to run the speaker amp at the same time as the headphone amp?  if so is it possible to adjust the volume of the two independently? or for example mute either of them independently

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #963 of 1,316
  is it possible to run the speaker amp at the same time as the headphone amp?  if so is it possible to adjust the volume of the two independently? or for example mute either of them independently

EDIT: sorry, thought this was the Geek Pulse thread and answered incorrectly

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #964 of 1,316

Nope. You choose the output. No speaker output if any of the headphone impedance/gain presets are selected.

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #965 of 1,316
Question about the volume control hope someone can answer? is it ...

- digital volume control for the signal converted by the dac?

- and an analog resistive volume control for the analog inputs?

- Or is the dac output also attenuated in the analog domain after conversion?

- Or on the analog side is it not a resistive attenuator but an electronic one?

Thanx.

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #966 of 1,316

the DAC in MJA-100 takes a second or so to lock.  It may be that Spotify is dropping data each time the song ends.  So yeah, it's likely a Spotify issue.

I sometimes run Spotify and Tidal with usb from my MacBook Pro to the MHA100. I currently run Tidal and Sirius XM through a Sonos player through the optical. I've had no issues with either. I do have Radium for Mac and it pauses/skips directly on my MacBook though.

Thanks for the comments guys. Since I've haven't experienced the same issue outside of Spotify, I'll just chalk it up as a software issue.  Although I do wish that McIntosh would put out a firmware update, this thing has been out for a while. And I echo the comments of a few others that the speaker amp elevates it above other amp offerings -- best purchase evar!

Mike -- I didn't know you got one too, I seem to recall you saying you couldn't afford it! lol

On an unrelated note, anyone have any experience with the DAC in the Meridian Prime, and how it compares with the MHA100? Just got offered one for a ridiculously low price!

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #967 of 1,316
the fact it cannot output both speaker and headphone independently is a deal breaker for me unfortunately.  i often listen to speakers and have to quickly answer calls via headphones and back and forth.  as well i like to leave the speakers always on while listening to headphones to add feel to the music as well as allow me to take off the headphones to do other things around the house while still listening and not having to click back and forth between them.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #968 of 1,316
Are there other integrated amps that do this? I've never seen one.

The benchmark will do this with one of the two headphone outs and the line out. Dacmini will have the line out active too. Not sure i know any units that leave the speaker output and headphone output active at the same time.

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #971 of 1,316

looks like groovy should get the rag then.

Currently using the D100 to drive powered Paradigms via pre-amp out.  it has a mute button for those while volume control works for both headphone and speakers.  i would prefer to use unpowered speakers and have individual volume controls for both speakers and headphones and individual mute buttons.  what i have now works for me but something that gives me that sort of control in a McIntosh package would be ideal.

May 8, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #972 of 1,316
Just discovered another reason to be in love with this amp. When playing music from the computer over USB the Mc's remote controls Play, Pause, Stop, and Skip of my foobar2000 player! That surprised the hell outta me.

May 12, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #973 of 1,316
Anyone know what the latest version of the firmware is?

May 17, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #974 of 1,316
  Anyone know what the latest version of the firmware is?

Let me rephrase the question: Are there any MHA100 owners out there running a different firmware version than V1.00?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back