McChanson amps tube rolling thread
May 11, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #346 of 622
In my opinion the standard 6N6P version sounds better than EH 6N30Pi. The tone is more natural and the picture gets more pixels. I'm using it with ATS25 that need to cook.
But in spite of this difference neither of them can compete with a pair of NEVZ 6C2C/6S2S when it comes to tone and presentation with ATS25.

May 11, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #347 of 622
I have only one and only one 12ax7 and that is an Amperex with white paint on the top pointed end. It is claimed that white paint is surgical grade and have divine powers. :relaxed:

Believe it or not, I have not tried soldering despite Eric asking me to do it all the time. I will have to buy solder irons and get my hands on it. Replacing the caps on the Super Ultimate is easier because there is more room.

This is the Russian FT3. Perhaps paint it gold? Btw I will be comparing this with the Duelund and Vcap cutf when Matt's amp is ready. There might be a huge upset ! :wink:

s-l640.jpg

The caps are actually easy to solder.
You'd be surprised how easy it actually is once you get the hang of it.
With the Junior it actually went quite well, only the cap itself was a bit bigger than everything else, but it worked.
A good soldering iron where you can set the temperature would be good.
The rest you actually learn by doing.
Simple exercises such as tinning and connecting cables are actually these things, and you'll see the rest when you have to solder in the housing.
As soon as the solder is liquid, you stop just before and connect it, that's actually the trick.
I'm looking forward to the one you're going to fit, but I don't think it will be on a par with the Vcap CuTF.
It might still be missing a bit.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the Duelund performs.

May 11, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #348 of 622
With the Junior it actually went quite well, only the cap itself was a bit bigger than everything else, but it worked.
Simple exercises such as tinning and connecting cables are actually these things, and you'll see the rest when you have to solder in the housing.
As soon as the solder is liquid, you stop just before and connect it, that's actually the trick.
I'm looking forward to the one you're going to fit, but I don't think it will be on a par with the Vcap CuTF.
You would also benefit from having a good solder sucker, solder remover. :)

May 11, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #349 of 622

I’m at the Studio 😊

And I’m seeing 3 caps. Mundorf is not in the picture because it is in the amp.

Perhaps I should ask Eric to put Duelund and Vcap in mine. 😉

IMG_9312.jpeg

May 11, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #352 of 622
I’m at the Studio 😊

And I’m seeing 3 caps. Mundorf is not in the picture because it is in the amp.

Perhaps I should ask Eric to put Duelund and Vcap in mine. 😉

IMG_9312.jpeg

I was really lucky with the CuTf, although it is quite heavy in terms of weight.
I had to connect it to the Mundorf so that it didn't hang down.
A nice picture of the caps, the Audio Note copper is still missing.
The Mc Chanson badge also looks very good. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

May 11, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #353 of 622
Question for my fine fellow UltimatE'rs: Do 807 and ATS25 tubes use same adapter? Is the latter considered a better quality version of the former?

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #354 of 622
Question for my fine fellow UltimatE'rs: Do 807 and ATS25 tubes use same adapter? Is the latter considered a better quality version of the former?

Yes and yes.

GEC 807 ATS25 is claimed to be the premium 807 Made in England in the 1940s. There is another version GEC 807 VT60 which is also a premium 807. I have both since 2 weeks ago.

Many rate this tube as sweet sound like the 300b. Me? I just think they are great power tubes without putting too much hype on it. :relaxed: and I mean great not good.

May 11, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #355 of 622
Yes and yes.

GEC 807 ATS25 is claimed to be the premium 807 Made in England in the 1940s. There is another version GEC 807 VT60 which is also a premium 807. I have both since 2 weeks ago.

Many rate this tube as sweet sound like the 300b. Me? I just think they are great power tubes without putting too much hype on it. :relaxed: and I mean great not good.
Thank you Matt, as always! :ksc75smile:

May 11, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #356 of 622
I was really lucky with the CuTf, although it is quite heavy in terms of weight.
I had to connect it to the Mundorf so that it didn't hang down.
A nice picture of the caps, the Audio Note copper is still missing.
The Mc Chanson badge also looks very good. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm home and very excited. Had a quick listen of the FT3 at Eric's place after it was installed. This is my cup of tea or coffee. Clear, sweet and stirling is what comes to mind. Similar wow moments like when I first listen to the Vcap cutf. Now to let it burn in while I enjoy it.

It's not an easy fit getting the FT3 in the space allocated to Miflex because FT3 is longer. Some connections has to be pull loose to get it in and then resolder everything. Glad I wasn't doing it. Eric wrap both ends of the FT3 with red tape and it look very nice but the purpose is not to make it look nice. It's to prevent contact with other points.

May 11, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #357 of 622
Eric's thoughts on the 6N6P tube.

The 6N6P is the 6H6Pi in Russian words... You have the 6H30Pi which is the same as 6H6Pi if not better. ( I do have Russian 6H6Pi but not included in the lot I pass to you ).
Zachi's whispEr in dual tube mode has this 6H6P in the middle ( the other two on the sides are the 6S45P. ... see picture

DSCN0788.JPG

May 12, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #359 of 622
Matt just told me the price for the Duelund and Vcap caps. I always thought that Dueland would be more expensive but it seems Vcap is the real money burner.

Duelund CAST Cu-Ag Hybrid 0.47 uf 630VDC pair - US$280
Vcap Cutf - nearly US$600

Duelund and Vcap are featured in this review.
https://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Russian FT3 - US$38.50
Review found here - https://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0708/capacitor3.htm

I realised that I will not have 200 hours on the Duelund and Vcap but probably 100 hours by the time I do the comparison. Under the circumstances, that will have to do.

I will disregard those reviews and form my own opinion after my evaluation in Super Ultimates.

May 12, 2024 at 3:45 AM Post #360 of 622
While at Eric's place, I didn't realise that he's so busy. There are 4 amps in construction phase. A silver Destiny with IT and Silk transfo, a KT150 amp, a MIni Ultimate and a Junior wooden Ultimate. 2 others are waiting for Silk transformers - Hai's Supreme and Matt's Super Ultimate.

Incredible that as a one man show he does all these and he has time to change my caps and for a bit of chit chat. :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back