Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Feb 7, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #1,006 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by hodgjy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most hi-end gear sends a line-level output of 2.0v, and is the norm in Europe. In the U.S.A, a lot of mid and low end gear send a line-level output of ~0.5v. 2.0v is still within specs of most gear.

When I measured the output of the D1, using a combo if the "direct button" and then maxing out the volume pot, I got these measurements:

Tube pre-out in direct mode maxes out at 2.2v. Using the volume pot, 3:00 maxes out at 2.2v as well.

Non-tube out is slightly cooler. It still maxes out above 2.0v, but doesn't hit the 2.2v as often as the tube pre-out.

Hope you don't mind if I use this info in my sticky. Thanks for your testing
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #1,007 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Spanky_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope you don't mind if I use this info in my sticky. Thanks for your testing
smily_headphones1.gif

No problem. Spread the word. Thanks.

Feb 8, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #1,008 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by CANiSLAYu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, you won't have any issues with this. I'm using the tube out to a pair of Audioengine A2's. If you push down the "Direct" button on the front it will make the analog line outs fixed and you control the volume via your speakers. If you leave the "Direct" button out, then you can control the volume on the D1 volume dial, which is my preference since the volume knob for the A2's are on the back of the main speaker.

Oooh! And how do the A2's sound with them?!

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #1,009 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by ursus65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

has anybody found a good resistor to use a 600 Ohm headphone. 4,7 KOhm not a good choice. I can always hear with full volume and it is not enough. If you listen a low level disc like Brothers in arm from Dire Straits it is very sad. I use a K 701 and it is not loud enough to.

THX

Ursus

hi. there must be sth wrong in your setup. i can only listen up to 3-4 o'clock on my k702. if i go any higher sound is distorted. my sources are modified denon dcd-1460 and spdif out on laptop and i listen to downtempo, lounge, chillout etc.

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #1,010 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajuztam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi. there must be sth wrong in your setup. i can only listen up to 3-4 o'clock on my k702. if i go any higher sound is distorted. my sources are modified denon dcd-1460 and spdif out on laptop and i listen to downtempo, lounge, chillout etc.

serious ? i tried my friend's akg701 , the max i can hear is around 12 o'clock...

that's quite loud already.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #1,011 of 2,660
How does the DAC in this compare to the ibasso D4?

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #1,012 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjikiran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Swan M10 They are self powered they should do fine on either output far as I am concerned. Unless someone says otherwise. I have a cheap $7 pair of passive unpowered speakers for emergency use(and they sound decent as well) and I actually use the headphone amplifier to power them.

Just personal preference I think they sound best via Digital Output on a bit-perfect sound card. With USB and Dsound vista will use shared mode sample rate and bit depth. With non-bit perfect digital out on sound card with streaming plugins either your sound card will change it to its master sample rate or Vista will via the same issue with USB. I can't confirm this under USB of course but with my sound card since I enable bit-matched playback minute I use dsound it sets the master sample rate to the maximum I have set in Vista. Where with WASAPI it sets the master sample rate to match the output(or song in this case).

In the following image shows the same song(16-bit 44.1khz). The right is when I am playing it in Foobar under WASAPI, and the left is when I am playing it using Direct Sound. Basically Vista is doing something to it since my sound card is bit perfect it is just changing based on what it is receiving so it doesn't modify the output in any way. That way it doesn't matter what song I am listening to, doesn't matter what the sample rate is it will always be bit-perfect. If all your files are 16-bit 44.1khz though you should get bit-perfect via USB.

How do I know if I have a "bit-perfect" sound card?

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #1,013 of 2,660
Hey guys, I'm still building up money for the maverick but there is something I wanted to know. When using my AD700s, I have noticed a lot of sibilance or sharp "s" sounds when listening to music at medium loud to loud levels. Does this tone down when you have a better source like the maverick? I've only ever used them out of my cheap pci sound card so I know no different from them.

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #1,014 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Dawk20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I'm still building up money for the maverick but there is something I wanted to know. When using my AD700s, I have noticed a lot of sibilance or sharp "s" sounds when listening to music at medium loud to loud levels. Does this tone down when you have a better source like the maverick? I've only ever used them out of my cheap pci sound card so I know no different from them.

I can say that my Grado SR-325i's had less sibilance when put through my headphone dac/amp, so I can confirm that from my experience, a better source does help.

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #1,015 of 2,660
I bought a Mav on the 2nd and went several days before I got a response. Concerned about the Chinese New Years Holiday, I PM'd Ryan who asuured me that the Amp would be shipped out in time to miss the Massive National Shutdown associated with the New Year Holiday. I recieved another email from Roy Ping on 2/5 assuring me that it would ship on time. and sure enough it was picked up today by DHL, @ 315PM local time. The last tracking Note says "Shipment on Hold" @ 815 PM local time, I can only assume that it's going to sit in a warehouse in China while the celebration takes place and then arrive sometime after Feb 20th when things start up again there. I am very disappointed. It should not have taken 6 days to pack and ship the unit regardless of the Holiday. and It isn't likely to arrive in time for the next meet that I was planning to bring it to.

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #1,016 of 2,660
I thought the New Year starts on Valentines Day this year, are they really shutting down this early? "Shipment on Hold" could mean it is clearing customs, I've had it say that on delivery of other things from China before, where is does it say it is located?

Sorry if I'm kind of busting in on the conversation, but I'm curious to see how it turns out. Oh, I just read that they celebrate for two weeks, well either way, best of luck.

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #1,017 of 2,660
Just did some google. The official Chinese New Year holiday start only on Feb. 13. I would be surprised that DHL close shop this early. I would give it a day or two to see what happens.

Mine shows the same status " shipment on hold".

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #1,018 of 2,660
My Mav was on hold in Shanghai for 17 hours according to the logs, and after it was processed in East China it shot to Hong Kong and speedily, processed and shipped. I'm sure it'll arrive on time, I ordered mine on the 2nd aswell.

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #1,019 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a Mav on the 2nd and went several days before I got a response. Concerned about the Chinese New Years Holiday, I PM'd Ryan who asuured me that the Amp would be shipped out in time to miss the Massive National Shutdown associated with the New Year Holiday. I recieved another email from Roy Ping on 2/5 assuring me that it would ship on time. and sure enough it was picked up today by DHL, @ 315PM local time. The last tracking Note says "Shipment on Hold" @ 815 PM local time, I can only assume that it's going to sit in a warehouse in China while the celebration takes place and then arrive sometime after Feb 20th when things start up again there. I am very disappointed. It should not have taken 6 days to pack and ship the unit regardless of the Holiday. and It isn't likely to arrive in time for the next meet that I was planning to bring it to. Shame on you Ryan.

What a bummer!
frown.gif
I hope all goes well. Maybe its just something with the shipping company.. a temporary hold that doesnt have anything to do with the new year.

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #1,020 of 2,660
perhaps I should be more patient. I had my EF2 held over last year for the Holiday and as Ryan stated that any orders after PST Friday would have to wait. I am assuming that the cutoff was end of business Monday 2/8 and with the last tracking notation after that time, Well, We'll see I'll try not to jump to any conclusions for a day or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back