Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Feb 21, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #1,216 of 2,660
i have yet to touch the opamp inside. but i guess it can be hot.

the LT1364 Operating Temperature Range: -40°C to +85°C

i touched the casing only , yeah it is very hot.

i wonder if it does any harm in long term.....

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #1,218 of 2,660
Just had 30 guys over yesterday and all the ones that commented, really liked the D1. I'm sure it made a couple sales for Ryan. I have yet to roll anything due to time, but plan on rolling the opamp for the preamp and headphone amp but need to read up on this....SS is something I've never played with before.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #1,219 of 2,660
i gotta love how the chinese copy each others knockoffs....i just saw this hilly? looks almost identical to the maverick

DAC-01-01.jpg

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #1,222 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have emailed them about the internal specs as I find the exterior design to be beautiful. Hardware specifications | Maverick Audio - Home of the amazing Tube Magic DAC + Headphone Amplifier + Tube Pre-Amp Poking around their website, they show a picture of a cirrus logic chipset that they say is the same as the xfi fatality soundcard. Don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

that x-fi has 109 SNR, which is not the best kind

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #1,223 of 2,660
Nice find muad. I currently have a heatsink poorly attached to the top of my D1 just to draw some heat off of the case from the tube, I hadn't given any thought to the opamps... I haven't had any problems with the LT1364 as far as distortion or symptoms of overheating but summer is coming. Maybe I'll whip out the dremel and make a small heatsink
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll add the heat issue to my condensed thread.

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #1,224 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Spanky_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice find muad. I currently have a heatsink poorly attached to the top of my D1 just to draw some heat off of the case from the tube, I hadn't given any thought to the opamps... I haven't had any problems with the LT1364 as far as distortion or symptoms of overheating but summer is coming. Maybe I'll whip out the dremel and make a small heatsink
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll add the heat issue to my condensed thread.

I dont know if every D1 is heats so much that it becomes hot but the one i got doensnt. before i rolled tube and opamps was warm like you can expect from a tube but never hot. after upgrade its even cooler. pair of opa627s generate non heat to my finger
wink.gif
. AD8599 in headphone out gets hotter. tung-sol tube also generates less heat and light than ge one i got with d1.

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #1,225 of 2,660
Well I find all the other chips including the opa627 are fine, just a little warm. The LT1364 is a high speed opamp and in certain circuits it gets hot. It's probably below the max recommended operating temperature (85c) but not by much. Either way I threw on a copper heatsink for peace of mind.

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #1,226 of 2,660
Yea I wouldn't say mine gets HOT, just a bit warm to the touch. But the way I figure is if that heat is from the tube, it has to pass about 1/4" of air then get through painted steel and that's a lot of loss so what you feel on the outside may not be what it is on the inside. The stock D1 doesn't over heat or malfunction because of heat but it does get a little warm due to the tube which most likely heats surrounding components. I didn't open up my unit and run it a while to check the warmth of the LT1364 but if it gets warm then that may be something to think about.

Personally I hate heat and I want my equipment to last as long as possible so with that said, I took a little time to do something nifty:
Opamp Heatsinks: 1 | 2
Case Heatsink: 1
I took some spare heatsinks I had, cut some to size for the opamps, applied crazy small amounts of Arctic Silver 5 and then stuck the heatsinks on with pressure and hot-glued them into place. It's completely overkill but with minimal time and spare parts, why not.

*edit*
muad lol... pics man
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #1,228 of 2,660
I still check this forum now and then even though i moved on from a maverick dac. But for the sake of remembering

The Maverick DAC is a copy of the Xiang Sheng DAC_01. This same dac is offered by Grant Fidelity here. When the Maverick DAC came out it was a big fuss at grant fidelity, since it was the same dac/amp but at half the cost. (At the time Grant Fidelity was selling for $400). There was a whole thread at audio karma with grant fidelity defending themselves. So, the maverick was the knockoff
Quote:

Originally Posted by igotyofire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i gotta love how the chinese copy each others knockoffs....i just saw this hilly? looks almost identical to the maverick

DAC-01-01.jpg

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #1,229 of 2,660
That may be true, but the Maverick has since evolved into it's own product as far as I can tell.

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #1,230 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by GPollos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That may be true, but the Maverick has since evolved into it's own product as far as I can tell.

Bingo. As well as being cheaper (cost) and having helpful and fast support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back