Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Feb 27, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #5,071 of 5,176
  The M-Stage has a 5 ohm output impedance. I don't think it is ideal with 32 ohm headphones. Ideally the headphone impedance to output impedance ratio should be 8:1. If you are going to use a lot of 32 ohm headphones, I would look at an amp with less than a 2 ohm output impedance. I have noticed that my M-Stage tends to be noisier with 32 ohm headphones. With my K7XX I hear no noise and a perfectly black background.

Since you are looking for a new amp, maybe you could keep the M-Stage for use with your AKG's and get something with a lower output impedance with your low resistance headphones. 32 ohm headphones typically don't  require that much power so a super high powered/expensive amp isn't necessary.

Thanks, well I'm definitely keeping the HPA-1 for my AKG's, I'm currently building a wooden stand for it to sit in sideways.

Someone is selling a JDS Labs Element on my forum, how do you think that would fair with more sensitive cans? 

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #5,072 of 5,176

Thanks, well I'm definitely keeping the HPA-1 for my AKG's, I'm currently building a wooden stand for it to sit in sideways.

Someone is selling a JDS Labs Element on my forum, how do you think that would fair with more sensitive cans?

The Element is supposed to be a very nice amp/dac combo. It should be excellent with your low impedance headphones.

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #5,073 of 5,176
  LME49990 just offers an accurate presentation of the music. Detailed and neutral, with nice extension at both ends.

The funny thing is that it can easily be blamed for being too digital and too bright when it's actually making you hear the real ugliness in your source. I had to roll DAC's, IC cables(SPC all the way) and DAC PSU to make it really sing. I've tried to roll back my other opamps but they all lack resolution compared to 49990, don't shoot the messenger 
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #5,074 of 5,176
The funny thing is that it can easily be blamed for being too digital and too bright when it's actually making you hear the real ugliness in your source. I had to roll DAC's, IC cables(SPC all the way) and DAC PSU to make it really sing. I've tried to roll back my other opamps but they all lack resolution compared to 49990, don't shoot the messenger :evil:

Sorry for the newbie question, but what does "rolling DAC" mean?

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #5,078 of 5,176

Hey Pharma, how is that LME49990 working out for you that I recommended ?

It was in instant success--big improvement over stock opamp. I really liked the sound of the HPA-1 w/stock opamp; I wasn't unhappy at all, though I knew the "technicalities" were a bit vague in certain ways (bass could be boomy; soundstaging could be a bit imprecise & "generic" sounding.

w/the LME49990, pretty much every part of the frequency range tightened up, became a little clearer & more impactful. Bass definitely got less boomy (though still very satisfying). Biggest change was in the midrange, where detail, note separation, and soundstaging instantly improved.

I never knew an opamp change could improve sound that much, to be honest.

I have a number of HP amps/preamps and don't happen to have the HPA-1 in the system at the moment. But I'll be rotating it back in soon. I love that little amp, and it's even better now!

Thanks for a great suggestion!

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #5,079 of 5,176

It was in instant success--big improvement over stock opamp. I really liked the sound of the HPA-1 w/stock opamp; I wasn't unhappy at all, though I knew the "technicalities" were a bit vague in certain ways (bass could be boomy; soundstaging could be a bit imprecise & "generic" sounding.

w/the LME49990, pretty much every part of the frequency range tightened up, became a little clearer & more impactful. Bass definitely got less boomy (though still very satisfying). Biggest change was in the midrange, where detail, note separation, and soundstaging instantly improved.

I never knew an opamp change could improve sound that much, to be honest.

I have a number of HP amps/preamps and don't happen to have the HPA-1 in the system at the moment. But I'll be rotating it back in soon. I love that little amp, and it's even better now!

Thanks for a great suggestion!

That is great to hear. Glad it exceeded your expectations. It is an awesome opamp, no question.

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #5,080 of 5,176
Mar 8, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #5,081 of 5,176
I've come across mentions of LME49990 on this thread a lot and I'm now thinking about upgrading my opamp to improve my sound. At the moment my setup is essenceST+m-stage+HD650.

Where is the best place to get the LME49990? I live in the UK, is there anywhere they would sell it here? So far I have found this. Is this what I'd be after?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1PC-DUAL-SOIC-LME49990-OP-AMP-MODULE-DIP8-/201562948955?hash=item2eee16855b:g:A9QAAOSw6oBXEnVs#rwid

Sorry I'm a bit of a noobie for this.

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #5,082 of 5,176
  I've come across mentions of LME49990 on this thread a lot and I'm now thinking about upgrading my opamp to improve my sound. At the moment my setup is essenceST+m-stage+HD650.

Where is the best place to get the LME49990? I live in the UK, is there anywhere they would sell it here? So far I have found this. Is this what I'd be after?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1PC-DUAL-SOIC-LME49990-OP-AMP-MODULE-DIP8-/201562948955?hash=item2eee16855b:g:A9QAAOSw6oBXEnVs#rwid

Yes, that is the one I have, as well as many others here. It is authentic. You will be impressed with the sound quality upgrade, without question.

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #5,083 of 5,176

Yep--that's the one I bought. It's the real deal...nice improvements to my HPA-1.

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #5,085 of 5,176
I'm in love with my HPA-1, it pairs so well with my K612, this thing is really going to make me want better cans, I'll be keeping this amp for a long time even if I run it alongside another one in the future, I'm wondering if the K712's will pair well with it also? I'm worried they might sound too dark with the HPA-1? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back