Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 5, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #3,166 of 6,783
First thing I will say: How do people consider these bass-light? I feel like it is somewhat emphasized especially with a mid-bass hump it seems?
Although uppermids-treble might seem a little wonky, it is VERY smooth and non-fatiguing without being too rolled off IMO
Tonality--great
Very bloomy sounding though. Hope it thins out a little bit?

U gotten the script all wrong...where,s pataburd? Can u amend the script pls.
Just teasing.....

What's gloomy..? Bloomy sorry...my iPad spelling is going crazy.
If the seal is too much u get a submarine feel to the sound.

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #3,167 of 6,783
U gotten the script all wrong...where,s pataburd? Can u amend the script pls.
Just teasing.....

What's gloomy..? Bloomy sorry...my iPad spelling is going crazy.
If the seal is too much u get a submarine feel to the sound.

Wear it proudly nimzerz!

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #3,168 of 6,783
Bloomy meaning lots of decay. It also seems to be full of resonances maybe (could be the decay) compared to the HE500 making it sound less open. I swear this seems to be like a baby audeze.

Tonality wise, these are amazing. Piano etc sounds very nice.

Edit: HOLY SH** that bass is LINEAR and SHAKES YOUR HEAD

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #3,169 of 6,783
Blue bloodied hype-ist....baby LCD....ok cough it out...
How much did pataburd paid u???

Edit...just add a Ultrasone extension cable..and open tat HOLE,
N u are listening to an adult LCD...almost.?.maybe better..depends on the brand of the leather deployed.

Listening to Crouching Tiger n Hidden Hyena now...end theme song by CoCoLee...
LCDspectacular!

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #3,170 of 6,783
I'm just saying that's the way it seems to be going--linear bass with impact, lush mids with decay, rolled off highs, good tonality.

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #3,171 of 6,783
  Bloomy meaning lots of decay. It also seems to be full of resonances maybe (could be the decay) compared to the HE500 making it sound less open. I swear this seems to be like a baby audeze.

To quote someone...

BASS SISSY! 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #3,172 of 6,783
Shake my head....u are going straight into the executive hype committee.

N if u wanna ROCK your skull...open tat HOLE one summer day.:D

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #3,173 of 6,783
Shake my head....u are going straight into the executive hype committee.

N if u wanna ROCK your skull...open tat HOLE one summer day.:D
I mean, compared to the dt990, he500, dt880, qc15, none of them even get close to this amount of bass combined with the linearity. He500 is just as linear but no where near as prominent. These are great for Edm etc.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #3,174 of 6,783
I mean, compared to the dt990, he500, dt880, qc15, none of them even get close to this amount of bass combined with the linearity. He500 is just as linear but no where near as prominent. These are great for Edm etc.

Ya..u can feel the reverbs on the earpads as u crank up it up even on the stockmikros...
I enjoyed dat. V nice.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #3,175 of 6,783

Where are you at now Darknet?

Oh lol sorry for not updating. I'm pretty busy with school stuff on weekdays. I've settled for a bit on having dynamat, the 2 layers, but I've actually added different shapes of felt. I don't really have any rectangles so I've been using circles lol. I currently have 2 quarter circles at different positions in the headphone. I'll post pictures on the weekends when  I have more time. This really seems to tame any excessive bass bloom and help tune the headphones to be more in line with my preferences (coming from a q701 as my primary). Great bass extension with limited quantity that really isn't prominent unless the song needs it. I was mainly tuning the headphones around EDM, but the felt really helps to balance it out for other genres. Hopefully I'll be able to get some blue tack over the weekends too. I was going to last weekend but it was late sunday night and most stores were closed  when I thought  about it :/
Edit: oh yeah the treble seems to be a bit less harsh now and more in line with the rest of the spectrum too.

Pataburd, I'll PM you on the weekends also if that's ok with you about the deerskin stuff.

Haha my friend coming from a pair of skullcandy 50/50s say that everything is good... except for subbass quantities. I actually used to own a pair of those before head-fi times... oh god very little attack with a huge subbass... I feel like telling him to get a pair then doing one of the bassier mods I've moved away from for him :p

I honestly haven't really used my q701s or m500s much recently though, besides for comparison purposes though. Just a testimony to how good these headphones are (as redundant as this may be on this thread hah). Don't know if I would buy them at $300 but that's more just budget limitations since I bought the kefs used since it was cheaper lol. They don't necessarily surpass the q701 in many technical aspects, especially neutrality and flatness, but it is a very engaging and enjoyable headphone.

I don't think anyone here really listens much to this type of music, but I found this track to be really epic one the mikros 90s. (its like edm/orchestral mixed- dubchestral as the producer calls it)

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #3,176 of 6,783

You've hurt my feelers.
frown.gif

^
.... but you're a happy jelly. :)

congrats and Sweet, keep us posted on your impressions

^ yeppp sweet just like da' jelly one above.

They've arrived!

^ Congrats!!! Welcome to the Logans Jelly Cult, cuz dats how we bounce.

To quote someone...

BASS SISSY! 
rolleyes.gif

+1, now you're finally learning my young grassjellyhopper.

Dat CLASSIC!!!
cool.gif

But sf, it was PERFECT in stock form, :p

No need for mods!!! MEH!

/s

^ See post above. BASS SISSYS!!!
deadhorse.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #3,177 of 6,783

Yeah I was having similar opinions with the amount of bass. I think bass is affected by how obstructed the hole is because more airflow will allow the driver to move more freely... not an expert in these matters but I think that has some effect. Try using different materials to cover the hole.

In my post above I mentioned that I used 2 layers of party streamer lol. I tried one layer which was a bit too bassy, foam was  way too bassy (lesser than original but still tons), and tape made it anemic in bass. I think a cotton pad was the closest to stock I found since I kind of destroyed the original paper haha. Its great being able to tune these things by experimenting with different materials. 
I also used cotton pads on the back of the cup which, expectedly, tamed the treble though I wasn't happy with the lack of sparkle... made things kind of dull so yeah.

Quote:
  Oh lol sorry for not updating. I'm pretty busy with school stuff on weekdays. I've settled for a bit on having dynamat, the 2 layers, but I've actually added different shapes of felt. I don't really have any rectangles so I've been using circles lol. I currently have 2 quarter circles at different positions in the headphone. I'll post pictures on the weekends when  I have more time. This really seems to tame any excessive bass bloom and help tune the headphones to be more in line with my preferences (coming from a q701 as my primary). Great bass extension with limited quantity that really isn't prominent unless the song needs it. I was mainly tuning the headphones around EDM, but the felt really helps to balance it out for other genres. Hopefully I'll be able to get some blue tack over the weekends too. I was going to last weekend but it was late sunday night and most stores were closed  when I thought  about it :/
Edit: oh yeah the treble seems to be a bit less harsh now and more in line with the rest of the spectrum too.

Pataburd, I'll PM you on the weekends also if that's ok with you about the deerskin stuff.

Haha my friend coming from a pair of skullcandy 50/50s say that everything is good... except for subbass quantities. I actually used to own a pair of those before head-fi times... oh god very little attack with a huge subbass... I feel like telling him to get a pair then doing one of the bassier mods I've moved away from for him :p

I honestly haven't really used my q701s or m500s much recently though, besides for comparison purposes though. Just a testimony to how good these headphones are (as redundant as this may be on this thread hah). Don't know if I would buy them at $300 but that's more just budget limitations since I bought the kefs used since it was cheaper lol. They don't necessarily surpass the q701 in many technical aspects, especially neutrality and flatness, but it is a very engaging and enjoyable headphone.

I don't think anyone here really listens much to this type of music, but I found this track to be really epic one the mikros 90s. (its like edm/orchestral mixed- dubchestral as the producer calls it)

Thanks @Darknet! I quoted both of your posts above for my own nefarious purposes.

With the hole uncovered, I was getting way too much bass in my left driver, and maybe a bit too much in my right driver. Here are pics of my driver holes:

Left driver with more bass:

Right driver with less bass. There is something oscuring the hole:

I think that maybe I somehow removed the stuff that shown in the right driver hole from the left driver hole (maybe I stuck a screwdriver in there in some fit of stupidity), and this resulted in excessive bass from the left driver.

At any rate, I covered the holes with 1 layer of Darknet patented party streamer. The left driver is still producing more bass than the right, but it's no longer a huge difference. I might cover the left hole with 2 layers though to try and even it out. Regardless, I'm pretty happy at the moment :)

Oh, and I will be giving that track a listen for sure - thanks!

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #3,178 of 6,783
Does the separation get better, bloom decrease, and treble/upper mids smooth out after burn in?

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #3,179 of 6,783

But, but...these are supposed to be bass shy.

Glad you like them.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #3,180 of 6,783
Hey, as of right now they still cannot touch the HE500 in anything other than tonality in SOME cases (and maybe in bass quantity, which doesn't mean much, but it isn't as tight at all).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back