Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 2, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #2,851 of 6,783
Found this 3.5 to 3.5 extension cord in my stash.  The male end is a perfect fit for the Mikros connection.  I will shorten it up a bit and add the Neutrik RA plug later today.  The Auvio 3 ft'er is just too short...and the rough outer covering is a bit noisy.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #2,852 of 6,783

From left to right:  sfwalcer, pataburd, Lorspeaker, waynes world, PredatorZ

biggrin.gif

Lol!

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #2,853 of 6,783
So are we back to not a single person that has given these a proper chance disagrees with them even with the excessive amount of aggressive hyping that we really have?

There really are only two things possible here, these headphones are ridiculously good or...

Ridiculously good for $50. I've tried hundreds of headphones, and very few give the bang for the buck these have.

I would have never kept these if I paid $200 though. There are just too many budget/value options that perform very well.

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #2,854 of 6,783
Ridiculously good for $50. I've tried hundreds of headphones, and very few give the bang for the buck these have.

I would have never kept these if I paid $200 though. There are just too many budget/value options that perform very well.

Knowing what I know now, I would pay the full retail price if I had to.    The Mikros 90 is not a budget/value model (although it is priced that way right now)...and it can go up against the best portable headphones in the $200-$400 range.

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #2,856 of 6,783
Mar 2, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #2,857 of 6,783

Worth more than their MSRP IMHO.
Bring the "too many budget/value options that perform very well" into the ring and the Mikros 90 will flatten them in short order.
KEF M500, for example [selling for $250-$300]?  Out for the count in the very 1st Round.

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #2,859 of 6,783
Mar 2, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #2,861 of 6,783
Mar 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #2,863 of 6,783
Oh thanks Cagin for the heads up on that plug. Didn't notice the post until you mentioned it on the DIY questions thread :p. I'll look to ordering that when redco finally gets their gold plated amphenol 1/8" connectors back in stock (or just go with the nickel plated one, shouldn't make a difference but doesn't look as nice xD). Lol I need opinions... OFC, SPC, or OCC copper man too many choices.

On the modding front, since Friday I've been experimenting around with these headphones. These mods actually remind me of the q701 mod because of the little circular thing you remove. My current set up has dynamat on the back of the cups and 2 layers of some random party streamer I had lying around covering the hole (I cut small squares and taped them behind to limit airflow). Without anything covering the hole it was way too bassy for me lol even on the verge of being boomy/bleeding into the midrange. I'm really enjoying this current set up; I'll post pictures later.
Fun process though just experimenting with what cover on the hole would give what sound effect... I think currently its slightly bassy but not obtrusive in songs that don't need the bass with good (maybe a tad too much) treble/extension, nice mids too. Seems a lot more engaging than my other headphones.

Now I just need to figure out where to get some leather xD

Mar 2, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #2,865 of 6,783
Did the Bass mod. I used Elmers poster putty... or something to that effect, I completely removed the center sticky, and I'm getting way to much bass.., so my conclusion, even bassheads would be happy, going to tame these down a bit, wonder if a small shaft with cam shaped felt pad that you could adjust the bass, completely open them up or go back to sealed stock. I think I could fab a working model, Ill do some drawings and figure it out. Need to re read the mod threads to see what you guys are using to adjust the hole. I did remove and re-soldered in the connector side speaker wires(they are very fragile),If anyone breaks the wire PM me and I can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back