Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Feb 27, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #2,401 of 6,783
u guys know i have this ipad...first gen. its my ontheroadreference soundstation... 
loaded it with a few classicals, a few jazz, pops, some trance, some light operatic vocals.
All portables had to nail these songs...especially classicals.

when i auditioned the KEF...all genres passed, big sounding, tall airy..  all gud  cept classicals...
it cant keep up, sounded messsssssy. V comfy n stylish...Struggled but finally kept my credit card.

The Mikros never had this issue from day 1..the separation, clarity, soundstage..stunning.
Now i am just trying to push the sound envelope n take it out to space.

.the crazy thing is i forgotten how to reload/rotate more songs into my ipad..
getting old...how did i load those albums in the first place..scratching my head.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #2,402 of 6,783
@Endcode, exactly right! I was able to bend it easily without busting it. No more shoe box :)

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #2,403 of 6,783
@Endcode, exactly right! I was able to bend it easily without busting it. No more shoe box :)

beerchug.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #2,404 of 6,783
U saved my assss.....Muacks mucks

^ I smack dat!!!
cool.gif

I'm a bit reticent to post this since the hype train appears to have too much fuel already, but these are damn impressive. My reference for portable cans at this price range was my Gemini HSR1000 (a.k.a. Takstar pro 80) and the Mikros thoroughly whoop them on all (sonic) fronts. These have an incredibly wide and natural soundstage that belies their size.

If I manage to remove brain-crushing clamping force with some shoebox therapy I'll consider this $60 very well spent. The prospect of these improving with burn-in blows my mind.

^
..... dat Logan 90s lovin' baby!!! :)

Get on board...

...the more the merrier.

^ i raise ya' one train......
900x900px-LL-bcc19fb2_168023d1338817014-e3-2012-trem1.jpeg
... my "TRAIN" is bigger.
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #2,407 of 6,783

Little things :
Anyone tormented by the "irregular" shaped hole formed by the foam when it is seated in the padcover? 
And u could never get it to look like a circle?
U can try rotating the foam 90degrees and fit it into the cover...u will get a nice oval shape see top foto.
well...its OVAL...but its a REGULAR oval. :p

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #2,408 of 6,783
With the Mikros 90 for maybe 2 hours, I feel like it has better timber than the kefs, but some of the songs I've listened to sound a bit less natural because of the treble. Overall the kefs feel  a bit more natural and are smoother in general and mids seem a tiny bit more forward (quite a small difference), but the Mikros 90 has better bass control especially. The Mikros 90 soundstage also seems a bit more expansive. I'll update more if anybody's interested later on when I give the mikros 90s more burn in. Can't wait to see how these change!

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #2,409 of 6,783

Little things :
Anyone tormented by the "irregular" shaped hole formed by the foam when it is seated in the padcover? 
And u could never get it to look like a circle?
U can try rotating the foam 90degrees and fit it into the cover...u will get a nice oval shape see top foto.
well...its OVAL...but its a REGULAR oval. :p

^ Realized the same thang the 1st tyme i took the pads/ foam off/ out but never really bothered me..................... maybe it helps to not CONSTANTLY open them drivers/ pads and toss your junk in there, just saying.
tongue.gif

Outta' sight outta' mind meng. : P

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #2,410 of 6,783
  With the Mikros 90 for maybe 2 hours, I feel like it has better timber than the kefs, but some of the songs I've listened to sound a bit less natural because of the treble. Overall the kefs feel  a bit more natural and are smoother in general and mids seem a tiny bit more forward (quite a small difference), but the Mikros 90 has better bass control especially. The Mikros 90 soundstage also seems a bit more expansive. I'll update more if anybody's interested later on when I give the mikros 90s more burn in. Can't wait to see how these change!

^ Just wait until you amp/ dac these suckas with dat great sauce, these don't feel lacking in bass whatsoever!!!
basshead.gif

Garbage in garbage out, but even with lackluster gears these Logans already sound amazing.

THIS IS RE_DANK_CU_LOUS_NESS!!!

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #2,411 of 6,783
What we need is a mod to do away with that lower treble peak.

when i had the K550, i tot it had some kind of a peak in the treble that bothered me...and tried this :
added a ring of felt around the outer holes..and it did the trick.

u can experiment with the rings of holes on the top surface of the mikros driver..n giv it a listen. u dun have to unscrew the drivers,
i didnt see any outerholes beneath..just that ONE BASSSS HOLE. :p

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #2,412 of 6,783
I'm a bit reticent to post this since the hype train appears to have too much fuel already, but these are damn impressive. My reference for portable cans at this price range was my Gemini HSR1000 (a.k.a. Takstar pro 80) and the Mikros thoroughly whoop them on all (sonic) fronts. These have an incredibly wide and natural soundstage that belies their size.

Any chance you could explain some of the differences between the two in your experience? They are the two I have been thinking of (particularly as the pro80 is a ton easier to get a hold of)

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #2,413 of 6,783
Any chance you could explain some of the differences between the two in your experience? They are the two I have been thinking of (particularly as the pro80 is a ton easier to get a hold of)

where are u located...?  

Some of the Hoarders here might send u one if u are willing to be generousss$$$$$$...jus saying 
rolleyes.gif

a black market will be launched defacto, in the subterranean section soon...when the stocks dwindle to a STOP.

=================

one of my favourite songs...listen to this on your Mikros..and be suckkked up into outerspace , much more clarion on the original recording :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLhY5n2fNXs

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #2,414 of 6,783

^ Just wait until you amp/ dac these suckas with dat great sauce, these don't feel lacking in bass whatsoever!!!
basshead.gif

Garbage in garbage out, but even with lackluster gears these Logans already sound amazing.

THIS IS RE_DANK_CU_LOUS_NESS!!!
<snip :p>

Never said they were lacking bass though :p But yeah oddly enough the vali/modi combo sounds pretty good- there doesn't seem to be any major impedance mismatch issues and the noise/microphonics really don't cause any problems. Don't have any nice solid state amps at the moment but the random old ipod touch 2g + fiio e11 which I haven't touched in months doesn't sound half bad either lol. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #2,415 of 6,783
  Never said they were lacking bass though :p But yeah oddly enough the vali/modi combo sounds pretty good- there doesn't seem to be any major impedance mismatch issues and the noise/microphonics really don't cause any problems. Don't have any nice solid state amps at the moment but the random old ipod touch 2g + fiio e11 which I haven't touched in months doesn't sound half bad either lol. 

^ I only gots them budget-fi dacs/ amps as well, but they already scale so nicely with them.... haha Man makes me lust after a even better dacs/ amps now.
triportsad.gif

Anywho here is something something...... funky!!!

.... "Can U diggg it? CAN U DIGGGGGGG ETTTT???!!!" LMAO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back