Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Feb 10, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #1,157 of 6,783
this alphapads are softer than usual, even on the reverse, its not abrasive for sure. 
Isolation is reasonably good still, not a total shutout or submarined, but that added thick wall of cushion sure block out some sound.
Anyway i am using it at home...just experimenting with the extra pads in my muslin bag. having some fun.

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #1,158 of 6,783
^ blocking out the wife? 
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #1,159 of 6,783
  THEY CAME IN 
biggrin.gif
 (the ups guys are such trolls
mad.gif
)

Initial Impressions:

Pros:
-Totally worth $90 (even $300 I would think)
-Totally whoops every other can I own (which isn't much)
-Totally awesome soundstage and presentation
-Totally realistic sounding, with a tonal balance that is quite neutral, but with speed, detail, and dynamics that are unmatched in my experience.

Cons:
-Not totally comfortable, but not so bad (probably can do much better with a pad swap/mod)
-Not totally efficient, it may be 26 ohms but I feel like it really benefits from the juice
-Not totally great for portable use, as it will slaughter poor source material with no mercy

All in all, these are an incredible reference can, totally worthy of the hype.
happy_face1.gif

ok im sorry, this review totally went out of hand with the word totally, I apologize

Nice impressions - thanks. Not totally sure what you mean about portable use though. I have 320 mp3's and flac files on my portable gizmos. That should be ok, no? Or are you referring to something else that causes them to be not great for portable use? Just curious.

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #1,160 of 6,783
I'm pretty sure source material, by his definition, has to do with the gear that is used for your mikros.

If it is a player that is too warm, you'll pretty much hear the warmth a bit too much.

If you have low quality mp3 and flacs, as well as terrible recordings, then you'll have to suffer through the terrible sound quality that was recorded in the song.

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #1,161 of 6,783
  I'm pretty sure source material, by his definition, has to do with the gear that is used for your mikros.

If it is a player that is too warm, you'll pretty much hear the warmth a bit too much.

If you have low quality mp3 and flacs, as well as terrible recordings, then you'll have to suffer through the terrible sound quality that was recorded in the song.

Ah right, source gizmo (not necessarily source files). I'm counting on the 90's being ridiculously good on the C3/BH combo.  And if that fails, then I guess I'll just have no choice but to buy an X5 :)

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #1,164 of 6,783
Feb 11, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #1,166 of 6,783
went back to the stockpads just to get a listen...a little muffled, snuffed, foamed...
but adjusted to it quite fast...that submarine aquatic dreammy Mikros for trannnce
the clarity still coming thru though...amazing little thang.
v much a taste thing which kind of pads u like.

------------------------------------------------

My v-moda 69in cable arrived, yup it's an airier, space-ier cable than the stock cable..
Makes me turn up the volume to get the same bass punch.
I think it's slightly cooler, more neutral sounding,
less bright..just v initial impression at the cafe.
(off my iPad with lossless)

Add: this cable should be great for portable humble daps like Sansa, iPads becos it adds to the spaciousness of the sound..
Listening to an old song Mrs Robinson now...BIGBIG sound coming thru.

--------------------------------------------------

QUESTION|

I dun play computer games...just curious,
Would this Mikros be an excellent can for such?
Given its soundstage, clarity, bass texture n slamm ..if u hav a slam cable :p

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #1,167 of 6,783
Preliminary Impressions of the FiiO RC MH1 v. Pipeline ET-4

Put the RC MH1 into the system, cold, straight out-of-the-bag: EVS-modded Sony BDP-S780|SoundSilver Trilogy IC|Fitz-improved Bada PH-12 w/1x GE 6SN7GTA--great driver tube for the Bada & 2x Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB (tall bottle)|RC MH1|ML Mikros 90.

In short, the RC MH1 represents a viable, enjoyable and affordable cable option for the Mikros 90.  Available for $30.99 shipped from Amazon.

Unlike the Pipeline ET-4 (at $20-$25--Radio Shack or online), there are no input "fitting" issues.  The FiiO's narrow(er) plug fits easily into the access hole in the left earpiece of the Mikros 90. 

Soundwise, my notes about the FiiO read: slightly fuller, richer, rounder, mellower, sweeter and more liquid-sounding than the ET-4.  The MH1 also seems to resolve tonal shifts/differentiation with an added finesse/ease.  

There is generally more bloom and an injection of warmth with the MH1 v. ET-4.  Midbass is a little fuller.  The MH1 will not transpose the Mikros 90 into "Darth Logans" but I think the added warmth might be welcomed by many ML users.  When listening to Ten Years After: Cricklewood Green: "Workin' on the Road". (and the remaster is not a great recording, either), the MH1 gave the bass a little more push/warmth--think of the difference between 50 degrees and 57 degrees F--but not the ultimate in midbass thrust for inveterate midbass "heads".  The increase is noticeable, I would say "additive" in a "positive" way, but not overwhelming, and does not emasculate the Mikros 90 of their balance, extension and detail.  So the MH1 reveal a midbass presence that should attract many, though perhaps not enough to totally convince the venerable vienbo or doctorjazz.  

I would submit that the ET-4 may be perceived as more "neutral" than the MH1, more straightforward/unadorned in its presentation, yet no less musically enjoyable.      

Shirley Horne's "Once I Loved" came across a bit more warm- and forward-sounding with the MH1.  But the added warmth/ease from the FiiO does not compromise low level resolution.  In fact, one could argue that the tonal sophistication of the MH1 helps resolve better in some respects.  For example, the slip, peel and click of Shirley's mouth parts and the sense of her being close to the mike were easier to pick up with the FiiO.  The subtle brush work on drum head and cymbal seemed to be more finely resolved with the FiiO as well.  Astrud Gilberto's slightly "frayed larynx" vocal on "Dindi" were, I thought, slightly better resolved with the FiiO.  Joao Gilberto's beautiful "Meditaao" had a welcome tinge of "orange" glow which helped round out the vocal a bit more fully with the RC MH1 (although the ET-4's clear, pristine rendering of this vocal was also meritorious/enjoyable in its own right).

The relative "ease" of the RC MH1 may also contribute to an enhanced sense of spaciousness compared with the ET-4, but that is a very close and subjective call. 

So is the RC MH1 substantively "better" than the ET-4?  That is a tough call, because differences are ascribable to slightly different emphases.  If the Pipeline with its clarity, focus and freshness is like a crisp, slightly tart and refreshing Riesling, then the FiiO with its slight warmth, mellowness and ease is like a softer, more complex but effervescent Lambrusco.  Or think of a slightly whiter flame [ET-4] versus a slightly yellower flame [the RC MH1].  It's more about subtle shading, less about stark contrasts, IMHE.

Well, I can--and will--live with both.  
smile_phones.gif
 < -- Mikros 90 w/ET-4         
smile_phones.gif
<-- Mikros 90 w/RC MH1   

The RC MH1 will continue to burn in throughout the day.  Deo volente, I will do some additional a/b-ing tonight.  Over time, I hope to find out and report which of the two I'll tend to wear more often. 

If you are looking for an affordable and compatible cable for the Mikros 90, but don't want to whittle,/grind/file down the too-fat input plug barrel of the Pipeline ET-4, the FiiO RC MH1 is worth a listen, IMHO.

***Standard Disclaimer***
YMMV

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #1,169 of 6,783
Very informative. Could you compare it to the stock cable?

Trunks,
The stock cable does not work with the 3.5 input jack of my current system.  Oddly, I have to pinch and hold the microphone button on the stock cable to get both channels in full.  

I have done some prior a/b-ing on my (second) home system between the stock cable and the ET-4 (requiring long pinching sessions), where I found the ET-4 to be more open, balanced, coherent and resolving, sans treble grain/grit.  Although, the stock cable does a respectable job with the Mikros 90, I don't feel it does them justice.  There is a lot more that the MLs have to offer and, IMHO, the stock cable is a major impediment to realizing more of the Mikros 90's potential.  Applicable comments (stock v. Pipeline) appear elsewhere along this thread.

sfwalcer is due for his RC MH1 to arrive today.  I will be awaiting his impressions based on a direct comparison between stock and FiiO cables.  Later, when I return to my primary address on the weekend, I can do a direct stock/FiiO a/b and compare notes with SF.

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #1,170 of 6,783
Listening to SOMEWHERE IN TIME, John Barry...on the Mikros on tube amp,
got me all emotional..sobsob.

Oh no....Last Samurai again...closing number. sob sob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back