Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Feb 10, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #1,112 of 6,783

For me, the pads must be aligned just low enough, and just forward enough, upon the ear so that the clamping pressure does not close down the Tragus.  I adjust mine so that the front edge of the cup housing, at about 1/3 of the way down, rests on the very back edge of my cheekbone, at its juncture with the mandible hinge.  When the seal is "right", I feel a sort of vacuum or suction sensation in the inner ear.  Also, I think that the bony contact at the cup edge interface may serve to enhance/enlarge the sonics, and contributes to that wonderful "out-of-the-head" spatiality of the Mikros 90 soundscape.  Swiveling the earcups slightly forward to increase this bony contact pressure puts the finishing touches on an adequate seal. 

Could you please provide a bit more details about how you fit them? Just kidding - that will be helpful. Thanks :)

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #1,113 of 6,783
"So the best way not to annoy people here anymore, I will not comment any thing in this thread again." By Mikroski.

Why?  Exercise your freedom of speech, bother. We are hear to learn from each other, I have been a ML fan for over 20 years and I still do.

Even with the full range ESL ML as the SL3, Quest...etc... you know that ML original house sound is not bass heavy. Cannot say for the new lines that gear somewhat toward the H/T fans but that is why I am in love with the ML. Moi, I do not like too much bass but just enough. I'd rather focus on the mid and the high and the mid-bass.

Hey, we all have our own ears, music type preference, listening habit...and that is the beauty of music and gear that is designed to reproduce faithful to the original recordings. The Mikros 90 at $89.00 is a gimmie to me. There are cans that cost 3/4 times of the Mikros that ended up in my for sales section in the past. The Mikros 90 is a keeper for me that's why I have 2 of them and maybe more to come as gifts to friends who deserve them.

Happy listening.

Andrew

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #1,115 of 6,783
  Would you like your crow grilled or lightly sauteed?  
smile_phones.gif

I like mine with just a dash of cayenne.

Just with a nice side of bass if you don't mind :)

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #1,116 of 6,783
I ended up going for the cable as Im not sure the mikros are for me. Im more of a rock variant guy than a jazz one so the bass/not so full sound might be a problem for me. I went for the copper he-6 cable as I want to test the cable "myth" for myself. I figure if it doesn't make a difference or if I have a strong preference I can just sell it and get the mikros.

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #1,121 of 6,783
The Mikros has PLENTY of bass. Veeery full sound for sure. I recess it sometimes via eq by 3 or 4dbs.

That's the other thing - so many people are giving different descriptions about the sound sig. For me the other problem is that I love the Senn HD650s - I mean I sold all of my mid fi gear except for them (among that being a modded set of fostex t50rps that I still have but don't really use, AKG K702, and Denon D2000) and even with the HE-6 I'm still using them. I also don't really see anything dethroning the HE-6 so I think that 3 headphones is a bit too much to rotate through. It's just a matter of investing to make something I know I like better/different vs investing in something that would be a wildcard for me.

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #1,125 of 6,783
  That's the other thing - so many people are giving different descriptions about the sound sig. For me the other problem is that I love the Senn HD650s - I mean I sold all of my mid fi gear except for them (among that being a modded set of fostex t50rps that I still have but don't really use, AKG K702, and Denon D2000) and even with the HE-6 I'm still using them. I also don't really see anything dethroning the HE-6 so I think that 3 headphones is a bit too much to rotate through. It's just a matter of investing to make something I know I like better/different vs investing in something that would be a wildcard for me.

RAZR,
Make no mistake about it: the Mikros 90 produce DEEP, WELL-DEFINED bass.  They do not have the midbass hump/emphasis of many popular products out there.  The ML's bass is balanced, extended and articulate.
So vienbo may be actually perceiving/reporting lack of midbass emphasis--maybe not.  But his comments have tended to puzzle me.
However, anyone who auditions the Mikros 90 and concludes that they have "no bass", or that they are "bass light", is not listening to the same set of cans that I am.  In some cases, the Mikros 90's bass can go down--cleanly--to levels that seem to shake the ground beneath my feet.
For me, this is a Wild Card that is definitely worth playing.  The Mikros 90's low frequency response is "All Bass, No Mud".  
And apparently, they will not be around, or as plentiful, in another few months.
Knowing what I know now, I would have regretted not buying a pair if/when the supply vanishes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back