Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 2, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #2,896 of 6,783

They are better than the HD25 and the Momentum, IMO.   The HD25 and the Momentum have more mid-bass, but the Mikros has more sub-bass...and the bass in general is more balanced and refined.  The DT1350 and the Mikros are very similar - I own and love both models.  The Momentum replaced my HD25...and I sold my Momentum after I bought the Mikros (the Mikros unexpectedly replaced the Sennheiser).

I don't think the Mikros blows the Sennheisers out of the water, but the ML is better (IMO).  I would probably chose the DT1350 over the Mikros because the Beyer has some of the best bass in the business.  The M90 has a wider soundstage than the DT1350, so it's a close call. 

The Momentums are really comfortable -- I wish an over the ear Mikros existed. 

^ What is this blasphemy you speak of. There will only be ONE love and ONE Mikros, nothing else you herrrr???!!!
mad.gif
Or else........
... let that be a warning to you unfaithful thought criminals!!!
biggrin.gif

Though i really enjoy the DT-250 along with these Logans on my desktop set-up as well.
ph34r.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #2,897 of 6,783
  ^ What is this blasphemy you speak of. There will only be ONE love and ONE Mikros, nothing else you herrrr???!!!
mad.gif
Or else........
... let that be a warning to you unfaithful thought criminals!!!
biggrin.gif

Forgive me, for I am drunk and I do not know what I'm saying.

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #2,898 of 6,783

Forgive me, for I am drunk and I do not know what I'm saying.

^ Alls forgiven as long as one repents along with the sacrifice of anything cute and fuzzy on this alter to the LOGAN GODs. Dat bunny will be a good start.......

.... this drunken one is next to go, so let that be a warning to you dissenters.
angry_face.gif

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #2,899 of 6,783

They are better than the HD25 and the Momentum, IMO.   The HD25 and the Momentum have more mid-bass, but the Mikros has more sub-bass...and the bass in general is more balanced and refined.  The DT1350 and the Mikros are very similar - I own and love both models.  The Momentum replaced my HD25...and I sold my Momentum after I bought the Mikros (the Mikros unexpectedly replaced the Sennheiser).

I don't think the Mikros blows the Sennheisers out of the water, but the ML is better (IMO).  I would probably chose the DT1350 over the Mikros because the Beyer has some of the best bass in the business.  The M90 has a wider soundstage than the DT1350, so it's a close call. 

Is that including the bass mods on the ML? or stock?

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #2,900 of 6,783
Anywho here is a quick report on the Pipeline ET-4 cable, haven't really listened to them THAT much yet, nor burned them in, but sonically i would say they are more like a fusion of the V-moda cable and the stock one, meaning that it is kinda slightly softer and more airy compared to the stock one, which is tighter and cleaner, punchier. The ET-4 seems to have higher resistance/ less receptive to EQs or something cuz when i put bass boost on my FiiO E17s normally when i set to 2 i can already hear a lot more bass with the stock cable, but even at 4 the bass isn't as prominent with the ET-4s. It also sounds less quick/ not as  engaging as the stock cable as well which kinda makes them sound a bit boring similar to the V-moda cable with their softer presentation.

The stock cable is still my favorite so far. FiiO is 2nd but just wish it was less grainy/ overly textured/ strident. ET-4s might get better with more burn-in as well as with other sources so the jury is still out on them, but for now they are my 3rd favorite followed by the more generic mainstream sound of the cheapo beats cable then the V-moda is last.

Might pick up the auvio cable next week.
popcorn.gif

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #2,901 of 6,783
Mar 3, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #2,902 of 6,783
Mar 3, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #2,903 of 6,783
elvergun is one of the scaredy cats :wink:

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #2,906 of 6,783
Ok guys....since the committee has started diving in...

After a few more messing around...this is MY FAVORITE todate : ( if u have no time, just go for this. )

MikrosHearThruBass

Steps:

Bluetac all the walls
Leather the centre base ( see sonusbass mod as above)
Add this:
Place a 1/4 by 1/4 inch felt Right at the bottom of cup
(Not directly behind the driver)

Expect open airy, tight, well integrated,hear through bassss..:p

Idea comes from sandfilling speakerboxes...
(the leather adds a natural touch to the sound, without which the sound has a brittle tinge.)
(updated my original mods/ post )

Lors,
What is the difference if you center the felt versus placing it at the bottom?
I was going to try putting a circular piece of felt in the center of the leather immediately below the driver, but this post saves me the grief.
[This looks like the Gentleman-meets-Basshead hybrid Mod.]

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #2,907 of 6,783
  Oh thanks Cagin for the heads up on that plug. Didn't notice the post until you mentioned it on the DIY questions thread :p. I'll look to ordering that when redco finally gets their gold plated amphenol 1/8" connectors back in stock (or just go with the nickel plated one, shouldn't make a difference but doesn't look as nice xD). Lol I need opinions... OFC, SPC, or OCC copper man too many choices.

On the modding front, since Friday I've been experimenting around with these headphones. These mods actually remind me of the q701 mod because of the little circular thing you remove. My current set up has dynamat on the back of the cups and 2 layers of some random party streamer I had lying around covering the hole (I cut small squares and taped them behind to limit airflow). Without anything covering the hole it was way too bassy for me lol even on the verge of being boomy/bleeding into the midrange. I'm really enjoying this current set up; I'll post pictures later.
Fun process though just experimenting with what cover on the hole would give what sound effect... I think currently its slightly bassy but not obtrusive in songs that don't need the bass with good (maybe a tad too much) treble/extension, nice mids too. Seems a lot more engaging than my other headphones.

Now I just need to figure out where to get some leather xD

PM me.
I have a deerskin coat to slice and dice.
: )

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #2,908 of 6,783
  I only removed the wire from the PCB, didn't mess with the head band wire. To be fair I have only played P.O.D. on the modded pair, and I think the mix is a bit bass heavy. I don't want to jump to any conclusions without listening to Patricia Barber and some of my other really good recordings. I am a bit giddy.. and I am Oafish and clumsy sometimes , oh ya back to the wire, I did accidentally break it, to aggressive of a putty job, but good news they are working perfect, so even if you have potatoes for fingers like me, its pretty easy, hardest part is aligning screws.. or getting the elastic little band out of the way of the screw holes.  I am listening to a better recording and the Bass seems just fine, so like always the MIkros is very source dependent, so far so good.  Sorry, I might have over reacted.. jumped to a conclusion.

I use a small LED flashlight to shine down the holes and ensure proper alignment before trying to re-engage the screws.

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #2,909 of 6,783
  Modded my mod, I didnt have felt padding in first try , I got some felt dots, put one right in the middle, covered 1/2 of the hole with masking tape , that seems to manage the bass better for me, as before the SS was shifted to the bass side and distracting. Live with it this way and see how I like it, will A/B with an un modded pair to try and judge how tunable my method is. One thing I noticed, and it might have some effect, is the tube that goes up into the headband is open to the cup, so it might work like a ported sub, it greatly increases the volume of air the chamber, and might add some loading to enhance the bass, I'm curious, was this an intended design, or a happy accident ? I hope it was design brilliance. Think of it too, as bass tube wrapped up each side of you skull, transmitting sub-bass notes through the headband and ear cup contact points. Or, I am just over thinking it.

My thoughts exactly.

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #2,910 of 6,783

elvergun,
GO TO YOUR ROOM!
And leave your Mikros 90 DT1350 with sfwalcer at the door.

[But then again, he didn't do his BASSSSSSSMODSSSSSSS, either.  SIGH!]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back