Marantz HD-DAC1
Sep 22, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #1,262 of 1,283
Hi to all!

And did one find something that can beat great Marantz HD DAC1 in sq? :)

I'm happy HD DAC1 user for couple of years and didn't find nothing that can beat it in musicality which is most important for me and also great analog stage.

Sep 25, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #1,267 of 1,283
No of course it's not normal. If you can or if you know someone can do may be open up and fix if something is broken or loosy.
there were several screws missing which i didnt notice on the pictures. He offered to refund me but we settled on him giving me 70 dollars back. I opend it up and the thransformer was honly held on one side. So i fixed that. But im missing still several screws fornthe back panel. Does anyone know where i can get the same type of copper screws?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #1,269 of 1,283
Hi to all!

And did one find something that can beat great Marantz HD DAC1 in sq? :)

I'm happy HD DAC1 user for couple of years and didn't find nothing that can beat it in musicality which is most important for me and also great analog stage.
So no one find something better, right? :)

Btw. I bought another one too! This time in black color, Cheers!

Nov 19, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #1,270 of 1,283
I used to have one of these DACs. I actually miss it. I wish I could get the silver one here but those were not released in North America. My DAC is the Schiit Bifrost 2 now paired with a SingXer SA-1 and Feliks Audio Echo Mk2.

Nov 19, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #1,271 of 1,283
The DAC1 is a fine dac, I do miss/reminisce from time to time, about mine that I had sold to fellow headfi member a while ago. But I had to move on as I wanted balance output on my next dac when I changed to balanced head amp.

My system has changed throughout these few years with new headphones, amps, preamps, dacs, tubes, and cables, etc. But to answer your question, if anyone found something better? I ended up with a Denafrips Pontus 2. Since I didn't have DAC1 and Pontus2 at the same time, my comparison will be based on memory and keep in mind I had different gear as well, so take it with a grain of salt.

The Pontus 2 is more resolving while not sounding clinical/analytical. It has better layering and separation of the music. There's more space between the instruments on the stage. The window into the music is much more clear, clean, and very natural. There is great richness and weight to the music and impactful dynamics. Vocals sound very organic and has realistic decays. What makes the Pontus 2 shine (for me) is during complex songs with lots of stuff going on, it stays in control and very refine in presenting the music where other (less priced) DACs I have owned/heard get cluttered or congested and fall short in this regard. But keep in mind the Pontus 2 is about $1750 and is a dedicated DAC and the DAC1 is an all in one for $700, so not apples to apples. So the Pontus 2 should perform better given the price difference.

I recently added a Denafrips Hermes 12th DDC in front of my Pontus 2 and this has upped the performance another couple of notches so there is room for growth. There are a lot of good DACs out there at every price point like Holo Audio, Gustard, Schiit, and others. I just wish Marantz would make a new (balance DAC, as I am a big believer in true differential balance topology) dedicated desktop DAC soon to get back in the game.

Jan 19, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #1,274 of 1,283
Dear all,

I am new here, looking for some help and/or advice. Thank you in advance.

I have had this DAC for some years now, connected to a Windows 7 PC. Mi PC is dead now, and I was considering purchasing a dedicated streamer.

However, I am afraid that the USB type B input in the back (the one that I was using to connect my computer) does not work with other sources (such as dedicated streamers with USB output).

Can some confirm (or deny) this?

Thank you very much for your time.

Best regards from Spain!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #1,275 of 1,283
Dear all,

I am new here, looking for some help and/or advice. Thank you in advance.

I have had this DAC for some years now, connected to a Windows 7 PC. Mi PC is dead now, and I was considering purchasing a dedicated streamer.

However, I am afraid that the USB type B input in the back (the one that I was using to connect my computer) does not work with other sources (such as dedicated streamers with USB output).

Can some confirm (or deny) this?

Thank you very much for your time.

Best regards from Spain!

i'm not sure why it wouldn't i use mine with a Raspberry Pi running Ropieee/Roon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back