Marantz HD-DAC1
Apr 3, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #1,246 of 1,283
I started to be skeptical about that you have a dozen HD DAC1 and you are trying to sell them Just joking :k701smile:

I got Ferrum Erco and keeping Marantz at the same time will be a little luxury for me, that is why I listed it (in a local website in Turkey) to sell but at the same time I am thinking like you, it will not be easy to find it again if I sell it.

i actually bought a second one in case something happens to my first one!
lmao

Apr 3, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #1,248 of 1,283
the only silver ones are for Japan I’m pretty sure.
voltage won’t work
In Europe they sold the silver version as well.
Normally I prefer silver or champagne/gold over black, but in the case of the HD-DAC 1 I opted for the black version, which looks amazing.

I bought the Marantz shortly after the Audio GD R2R 11 (mk1) and I have barely used the Audio GD ever since. Marantz' sound is so effortless and natural. The Audio GD appears to be a bit darker colored in the mids and bass, I don't sense this as warmth, but more like a darker hue. But at the same time it is a bit harsher in the high mids and highs as well.
I seem to prefer the Marantz over the Schiit Asgard 2 and modi multibit combo as well.

But as you see, I have used words like "appears' and "seems" to describe my experiences, because ultimately the differences in sound between DACS are very small or none at all. And no, I don't always trust my ears.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #1,249 of 1,283
Normally I prefer silver or champagne/gold over black, but in the case of the HD-DAC 1 I opted for the black version, which looks amazing.

I bought the Marantz shortly after the Audio GD R2R 11 (mk1) and I have barely used the Audio GD ever since. Marantz' sound is so effortless and natural. The Audio GD appears to be a bit darker colored in the mids and bass, I don't sense this as warmth, but more like a darker hue. But at the same time it is a bit harsher in the high mids and highs as well.
I seem to prefer the Marantz over the Schiit Asgard 2 and modi multibit combo as well.

But as you see, I have used words like "appears' and "seems" to describe my experiences, because ultimately the differences in sound between DACS are very small or none at all. And no, I don't always trust my ears.

i think differences in DACs are really big. But then again I don’t mean so much like speakers. Not in a freq domain sense as much as in soundstage size , ability to portray reverb and depth. timbre and dynamics

Apr 3, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #1,250 of 1,283

the Marantz is kinda a hidden gem.

and I’ve tried DACs up to $3500 that don’t beat it

Apr 4, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #1,251 of 1,283
Impulse response of the Marantz.

looks asymmetrical.
that’s from one of the Fast roll off Cirrus chip

Attachments

• 20B2241A-027C-4BC6-9427-7B3D2E15BF48.jpeg
    20B2241A-027C-4BC6-9427-7B3D2E15BF48.jpeg
    697.8 KB · Views: 0
May 29, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #1,255 of 1,283
Great to see this thread still lives.

I still use my HD-DAC1 and have now brought it into my living room where i do most of my listening. I am probably more of a mobile gear guy so I put the Marantz through a Cayin C9 amp. Absolutely love the sound. Wonderful 3D stage. I don't want MQA, i don't need balanced so I'm still very happy.

I do however sometimes wonder if I should upgrade. Did any of you HD-DAC1 fans ever find a DAC they preferred at say $1,200 or less?

May 29, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #1,256 of 1,283
Great to see this thread still lives.

I still use my HD-DAC1 and have now brought it into my living room where i do most of my listening. I am probably more of a mobile gear guy so I put the Marantz through a Cayin C9 amp. Absolutely love the sound. Wonderful 3D stage. I don't want MQA, i don't need balanced so I'm still very happy.

I do however sometimes wonder if I should upgrade. Did any of you HD-DAC1 fans ever find a DAC they preferred at say $1,200 or less?

super great question
unfortunately no not really

im being super honest about this.
I WANT to find a ’ better’ DAC.
the only DAC I think has some better qualities is the Benchmark DAC3.

the Marantz is a super good DAC

oh I almost forgot.
duh on me.

want to take the Marantz up a level to more modern measuring DACs but with the super great sound of the Marantz?

get the Intona 7055-C galvanic isolator

attached is my Marantz DAC which I measured with and without the Intona
and yes it’s audible

It also improves the jitter considerably

Attachments

• IMG_0505.png
    IMG_0505.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0506.png
    IMG_0506.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0303.png
    IMG_0303.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0298.png
    IMG_0298.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
Sep 20, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #1,258 of 1,283
Is it still worth it for like 300 dollars as a dac and amp? Are there any settings that cant be acessed without the remote?
Well worth it, IMO. I only use the remote with mine; I'd say there are no settings that can't be accessed without it. Also, it's a top notch remote; it controls the motorized volume pot very well.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #1,260 of 1,283
Is it still worth it for like 300 dollars as a dac and amp? Are there any settings that cant be acessed without the remote?
Hi,

Yes! 300 dollars is a very good price. All the settings are accessible without the remote.

If you have to have the remote, you can buy the Marantz remote
https://www.ebay.com/itm/394591403539

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back