Marantz CD5003 CD player availability?
Oct 11, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #61 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by brown274 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank You, the only bad thing about them is they are not a Marantz Authorized Online Dealer.

Hi brown274: I just received a new refurbished Marantz 5001 from INDEPENDENTAUDIOVIDEO last Wednesday. It was nicely packed in an original container with cables, batteries, remote, and warranty in a plastic sleeve just like a new unit. It replaced an Azur 640C I had at work which finally died for the 2nd time. The Marantz sounds better than the Cambridge Audio ever did and I am hoping it is more reliable. I assume the warranty is invalid which isn't a problem if the unit stays working. Most things die after the warranty expires in my experience anyway. I think it's well worth the price even without the warranty.

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #62 of 75
daltonlanny,
How long did you burn in the 5003 before returning them? I am considering getting either the 5001 or 5003 because I cant wait any longer for the cambridge dacmagic I originally planned to get. Its just too hard to buy right now

Jul 4, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #63 of 75
sorry to dig out this old thread. i just bought a CD5003. there is no sound coming out from the headphone jack to my k701. do i need to adjust anything other than volume knob? am i missing anything?

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #66 of 75
I ordered a 5003 and I love it.. for 349 they are a total bargain.

May 28, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #69 of 75

Quote:
I'll let you know after I've listened to mine for a while.  I just bought one today, and I expect it to arrive Thursday.

R u planning to use the DAC in the 5003, or your HeadRoom DAC? I am using an old JVC CD player as transport with my Lite DAC 38 and I am unhappy with the JVC.  Tiny soundstage.  I need a new CD player, but I am wondering if I need to go all the way to a 5003 since I will use an external DAC.  Any suggestions?

May 28, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #70 of 75
Accessories4less is selling a cd5003 refurb for $260. It's out of stock right now so just check their website every few days. I'm guessing it won't be out of stock for long. I purchased a cd5001 from them they're a good company to deal with. They do have thwe cd8003 for $650.

May 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #71 of 75
I don't use an external DAC.  The internal DAC does a good job for me.

FWIW, when I use the CD5003's headphone jack, I was impressed with the soundstage I experienced through my headphones.  Do to the sterile nature of some of my older CDs, I listen with my HD650 when going directly out of the CD5003.  I don't use my receiver's headphone jack - the bass isn't quite as "toned" - it seems a bit smeary.

May 29, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #72 of 75

Quote:
Accessories4less is selling a cd5003 refurb for $260. It's out of stock right now so just check their website every few days. I'm guessing it won't be out of stock for long. I purchased a cd5001 from them they're a good company to deal with. They do have thwe cd8003 for $650.

Thanks.  Seems like a good site.  Also, it provides a good reference price point for used equipment. 

Quote:

FWIW, when I use the CD5003's headphone jack, I was impressed with the soundstage I experienced through my headphones.  Do to the sterile nature of some of my older CDs, I listen with my HD650 when going directly out of the CD5003.  I don't use my receiver's headphone jack - the bass isn't quite as "toned" - it seems a bit smeary.

My concern is if I continue to us my external DAC, all I need is a cheap CD player as transport.  I have a Philips DVD player which should works pretty well.  But if I buy a CD5003 and like the internal DAC better than my Lite DAC 38 (  http://cgi.ebay.com/LITE-Hi-End-Balanced-CD-DAC-Processor-BB-PCM1704-DAC-38-/290375496447?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439bba72ff ), I will wish I had spent the extra on a CD8003.  (I know, it sounds like a personal problem most people would like to have.  Where to spend this year's bonus money before my wife spends the rest of it.
wink_face.gif
)

May 29, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #73 of 75

Quote:

I see that you have a K601 also, could you please check out its performance with the CD5003 and compare with other amps you got? That would be very helpful!

May 31, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #74 of 75

Quote:

I see that you have a K601 also, could you please check out its performance with the CD5003 and compare with other amps you got? That would be very helpful!

OK.  I listened for about 20 minutes to bits and pieces of 3 songs ("And It Stoned Me" - Van Morrison; "Mayor of Simpleton" - XTC [non-re-mastered version]; "IGY" - Donald Fagan).  I felt the CD5003's headphone amp was pretty good - at least it stood up to my HeadRoom Micro Amp/Micro DAC combo.

First, the basics - loudness.  No problem for the CD5003's jack to push enough volume through the K601.

Second, the sound.  This is not a "warm" headphone jack.  The HeadRoom Micro is a warmer amp, and the CD5003, while not something I'd say is "bright," does not convey the warmth of the Micro.  The highs were nice and crisp, the mids maintained their texture in all songs - from the edginess of horns in "IGY" to Van Morrison's vocals - whether edgy or smooth.  Bass was there, but it was not overwhelming.  I think the CD5003 is a pretty neutral to slightly crisp amp, and when paired with a very neutral (probably very mid-range friendly if anything) K601, I got a technically satisfying music, but it wasn't anything that made me want to jump up and dance - not a negative, listening is a very, very pleasurable event.  Maybe I should throw in some Public Enemy or Gorillaz to see what happens.

Separation was good.  Nothing seemed smeary or mushed together. 

I don't want to sound like some kind of equipment matching guru, but how much you enjoy the headphone jack is going to be driven by the cans you drop into that jack.  A brighter can like the DT880 will be OK, but maybe you won't find it complimentary with the CD5003.  Now, I've listened to the CD5003 extensively (well several hours, anyway) with the HD650, and to me, those two components make sweet music together.  The D2000 isn't bad with the CD5003.  If I picked my main cans to listen with the CD5003, I'd reach for them in this order: 

1.  HD650 (9 out of 10 points)
2.  D2000 (8 out of 10 points - especially with "fun" music like hip hop and dance stuff)
3.  K601 (6.5 out of 10 points)
4.  DT880 (5 out of 10 points)

Just as another subjective reference, if I am listening to my turntable through my TX-8555, I'd reach for the headphones in reverse of the list above.  The brighter DT880 works great with warmer vinyl and the TX-8555, whereas I find the HD650 way too warm, when combined with the warmth of vinyl.

Of course, all of this is one guy's opinion, and I have to add this disclaimer:  YMMV!  :)

May 31, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #75 of 75

Thanks alot, that helped a lot!
Quote:
OK.  I listened for about 20 minutes to bits and pieces of 3 songs ("And It Stoned Me" - Van Morrison; "Mayor of Simpleton" - XTC [non-re-mastered version]; "IGY" - Donald Fagan).  I felt the CD5003's headphone amp was pretty good - at least it stood up to my HeadRoom Micro Amp/Micro DAC combo.

First, the basics - loudness.  No problem for the CD5003's jack to push enough volume through the K601.

Second, the sound.  This is not a "warm" headphone jack.  The HeadRoom Micro is a warmer amp, and the CD5003, while not something I'd say is "bright," does not convey the warmth of the Micro.  The highs were nice and crisp, the mids maintained their texture in all songs - from the edginess of horns in "IGY" to Van Morrison's vocals - whether edgy or smooth.  Bass was there, but it was not overwhelming.  I think the CD5003 is a pretty neutral to slightly crisp amp, and when paired with a very neutral (probably very mid-range friendly if anything) K601, I got a technically satisfying music, but it wasn't anything that made me want to jump up and dance - not a negative, listening is a very, very pleasurable event.  Maybe I should throw in some Public Enemy or Gorillaz to see what happens.

Separation was good.  Nothing seemed smeary or mushed together. 

I don't want to sound like some kind of equipment matching guru, but how much you enjoy the headphone jack is going to be driven by the cans you drop into that jack.  A brighter can like the DT880 will be OK, but maybe you won't find it complimentary with the CD5003.  Now, I've listened to the CD5003 extensively (well several hours, anyway) with the HD650, and to me, those two components make sweet music together.  The D2000 isn't bad with the CD5003.  If I picked my main cans to listen with the CD5003, I'd reach for them in this order: 

1.  HD650 (9 out of 10 points)
2.  D2000 (8 out of 10 points - especially with "fun" music like hip hop and dance stuff)
3.  K601 (6.5 out of 10 points)
4.  DT880 (5 out of 10 points)

Just as another subjective reference, if I am listening to my turntable through my TX-8555, I'd reach for the headphones in reverse of the list above.  The brighter DT880 works great with warmer vinyl and the TX-8555, whereas I find the HD650 way too warm, when combined with the warmth of vinyl.

Of course, all of this is one guy's opinion, and I have to add this disclaimer:  YMMV!  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back