Making a bad source sound good
Feb 4, 2004 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

realityclouded

Head-Fier
Hey all. I know this may be a step backwards, but I'll ask anyways.

"CD quality" doesn't always mean "audiophile quality". It's all about how the audio was recorded/mixed/whatever. So what happens when a few of your favorite CDs no longer sound good after all your upgrading? Your new super duper audio system now reveals everything. My system currently isn't anywhere near where I plan for it to be a year or two from now, and some of my CDs have already degraded my audio enjoyment due to bad authoring/mixing/whatever.

So now what? Invest in a lower end amp or dac to help bring those bad recordings back to life? What do you guys do about this?

Oh, and I'm talking about commercially pressed CDs, not recordable CDs.
biggrin.gif

Any advice welcome.

Feb 4, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 28
I think part of the problem is that you're now used to higher fidelity, hardware and software. So, reducing the quality of either one would not increase your enjoyment, at least not for me. But yeah, it does suck sometimes when you find little things in your old albums to be annoying and extremely distracting, but wasn't so before you discovered Headfi.

Then again, I would catch myself really getting into a good tune when I'm driving in my car with a really messed up stereo (front speakers blew out).

Feb 4, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 28
Learn to ignore those annoyances.

I find that the sound "yo-yos" as gets better, worst, better, worst during upgrades. Ultimately when after various levels, it is relatively better. But you should also learn to look past those annoyances.

Feb 4, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 28
In my experience, as I improve gear, I've found that more CDs sound even better rather than more CDs sounding worse. Something seems amiss. What is your system right now?

Feb 5, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Favorite CD? Turn up the volume and just enjoy the music. There has to be a reason why it's your favorite CD (beat, lyrics, performance, etc.)

That has to be true. I've an old CD collection with a ton of irreplaceable performances. Sure, I can listen for the flaws in the sound, but what works for me is the music and the interpretation.

Even when I supplement with "superior" recordings, I find myself drawn back to old favorites. We get too hung up on sound at the expense of artistry.

That being said, I better own up to having replaced a perfectly good CDP because I couldn't stand what I heard from my cherished CD's through my phones.
biggrin.gif

BW

Feb 5, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 28
I can sympathise your dilemma.

I am in somewhat of an agreement with markL is that as your system gets better, less and less unlistenable discs.

That said, systems focused on solely on resolution and soundstage and so forth tend to be more merciless of bad recordings.

Few suggestions is to add a tube amp and even the lowly mp3 files all of a sudden start to have some life.

Or invest in a separate DAC such as Channel Island DAC which mellows the top end and make things smoother and added warmish tonal balance can fill out threadbare sounding CDs.

Feb 5, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #11 of 28
Currently I'm using an Earmax pro and hd650/rs1, depending on my mood. The earmax is plugged into an m-audio audiophile 24/96. I guess my next step should be an external dac, yes?
biggrin.gif

Oh, well. That won't be for at least another six months, wallet permitting. Thanks all for your input!

Feb 5, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
In my experience, as I improve gear, I've found that more CDs sound even better rather than more CDs sounding worse. Something seems amiss. What is your system right now?

This has also been my experience. Some sound different, most are more enjoyable. Even the few that the recordings are really poor I like listening to more, at least now I hear everything thats going on. Every time I make a major upgrade(or even a major sideways move) in my systems I start listening to everything over again.

Feb 5, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #13 of 28
Now that Im comfortable with my system I also noticed that a lot of 80's synth pop, dance music, and hip hop sound like crap when Im doing my "hardcore" listening (sitting in my chair, facing the speakers, relaxing, and focusing on the songs). My solution is to do other things while listening to these cds. I like cleaning or ironing, so that Im not focused on the poor recording quality. Sometimes I just focus on the groove and try to ignore the faults. My other solution is to listen to my IMP 550 and my PX-100's. Hope these suggestions help. Anyway, I feel your pain.
frown.gif

Feb 6, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #14 of 28
Some of these suggestions are hilarious. You've spent a ton of money to get a highly resolving system that sounds amazing. Which reveals too many faults in some software... so you spend even more money to make it sound crappier (or less resolving) to be happy...

Ah, the enjoyment of being an audiophile...
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by davei
Some of these suggestions are hilarious. You've spent a ton of money to get a highly resolving system that sounds amazing. Which reveals too many faults in some software... so you spend even more money to make it sound crappier (or less resolving) to be happy...

Ah, the enjoyment of being an audiophile...
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

there's something to be said about less resolving systems. I don't think not all forgiving systems are bad per se. After all, if you can't hear majority of your favorite recording what good does 'resolving' systems do for anyone?

Having all the resoulution isn't the only way to get the good tunes.

that said, resolution and musicality can co-exist but it takes time and quite often it is not cheap yet, throwing ton of money at it isn't a solution either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back