Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Dec 21, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #1,666 of 3,718
Soundsgood......yes you're right. Had to dig out my copy and it is indeed 1979, and I (in my dotage) had gotten to thinking it was part of complete Mahler cyle (I think around 1988-89?)............time flies.

Dec 21, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #1,667 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
Levine M7: Wow! I just heard this again after it had sat on my shelf for a long time. Maybe its my own growth as a Mahler listener, but it's MUCH better than I remembered. I liked it before, but now I LOVE it. That brass - amazing. I might need to check out more Levine Mahler.

YES! this was my first 7th and remains one of my favorites to this day.

Definately check out the 5th and 6th if you can find them. His 5th is among my all-time favorite 5ths.

I do recall is 3rd being quite good as well, not so much with the 1st and 9th however.

-Mason

Dec 26, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #1,669 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Eiji Oué, Osaka SO, Mahler Symphony No.6. SACD/hybrid (fontec).

I don't know how I lived without this.

How does it compare to the titan.....Mitropoulos...

Reiner M4 SACD in the House.

Dec 26, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #1,670 of 3,718
Extremely well. I can't begin to tell you how good this is, I'm at a loss for words. sound quality is outstanding and interpretively it hits all the marks. I became so lost in it that I will have to go back and listen again to be able to discuss it rationally, and I've already listened twice.

Edit: I was crying as I was listening. That doesn't happen to me very often.

Dec 26, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #1,671 of 3,718
Quote:

Extremely well. I can't begin to tell you how good this is, I'm at a loss for words. sound quality is outstanding and interpretively it hits all the marks. I became so lost in it that I will have to go back and listen again to be able to discuss it rationally, and I've already listened twice.

Edit: I was crying as I was listening. That doesn't happen to me very often.

Hmm now the question is, are any online vendors selling this?

Dec 26, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #1,673 of 3,718
It was his recording of Das Lied that made me get this one. There is also this site: sa-cd.net where I saw it listed first in "pre-release" or "pre-order." I also have the Shostakovich Symphony No. 7. The Bruckner was sold out in Japan so I'll have to wait for that one.

Ofcourse, the liner notes are in Japanese with only a small detail about Oué in English.

Dec 26, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #1,675 of 3,718
Now I'll have my husband scurrying around for the Bruckner.
evil_smiley.gif
It's the price he has to pay for weeks away. I'm already planning my trip to japan around the concert schedule for Oué and Suzuki and the Bach Collegium.
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #1,676 of 3,718
Quote:

Now I'll have my husband scurrying around for the Bruckner.
evil_smiley.gif
It's the price he has to pay for weeks away. I'm already planning my trip to japan around the concert schedule for Oué and Suzuki and the Bach Collegium.
biggrin.gif

I am going to try anc catch Haitink in February for the M6
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #1,678 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
Were you able to order it off of Amazon Japan? I could not get an international address entered in.

I didn't try. That would suck if it wasn't an option.
frown.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #1,679 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub
You can get the Oue M6 from Fontec:

http://www.fontec.co.jp

Their website is nearly impossible to read (the font is miserable), and security questionable.

Their website does not properly accumulate multiple items into the shopping card.

I just received an email from honda@fontec.co.jp confirming my order.

I replied back with a correct list of discs I want to get.

I suggest you just email them direct with all pertinent information, and all should be fine.

Their email to me also stated that they're ready to ship on January 6, 2006, after they come back from winter break.

Here's what I'm buying from them:

FOCD9253/4 SACD MAHLER Symphony No.6 / Eiji Oue - Osaka Philharmonic Orchestra

FOCD9259/60 SACD MAHLER SYMPHONY No.9 & "Adagio" from No.10 / GARY BERTINI

FOCD9245 SACD Marimbist. Kunihiko Komori

FOCD9205 CD MAHLER Das Lied von der Erde / GARY BERTINI

Dec 28, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #1,680 of 3,718
I am just VERY leary of sending information like CC info via an insecure method, that would be my big worry.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back