Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Dec 21, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #1,651 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
aznsensazian,

Welcome to the club!

Which dvd-a was it, the Naxos musical journey? I've seen that but there are no details as to conductor or orchestra.

no, its actually conducted by Maurice Abravanel and by the the Utah Symphony Orchestra. Listening to it in 5.1 is a treat
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #1,653 of 3,718
As Bunnyears has mentioned, there is something about Mahler that lends itself well to 5.1. If you have SACD, Chailly 3rd is wonderful in surround!

I believe Chailly 8th was releaseded in DVD-A, though I can't speak for the performance.

Scott

Dec 21, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #1,654 of 3,718
Chailly M3 is excellent, and the Chailly Mahler 9 in SACD is one of the very best. I would avoid the Chailly M2 which has been released in dvd-a. Better to look for the dvd-a or sacd of the Abbado/Lucerne M2.

Dec 21, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #1,655 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Great! I was wondering just which dvd-a you had.

Oh no, i wasnt correcting you. I was just saying that my dvd-a was conducted by maurice abravanel and the utah symphony orchestra. I will definately check into more Mahler though. It just sounds so sweet
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #1,656 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
Oh no, i wasnt correcting you. I was just saying that my dvd-a was conducted by maurice abravanel and the utah symphony orchestra. I will definately check into more Mahler though. It just sounds so sweet
biggrin.gif

Mahler's 2nd is the next logical choice, and there are LOTS of choices.
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to the Addicti...club!
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #1,657 of 3,718
You might find the Mahler Sym. series conducted by Leonard Bernstein with Berlin Phil. in the 1980's, on Deutsche Gram.. ..will give you even more enjoyment
cool.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #1,658 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
You might find the Mahler Sym. series conducted by Leonard Bernstein with Berlin Phil. in the 1980's, on Deutsche Gram.. ..will give you even more enjoyment
cool.gif

Actually, Bernstein's Mahler from the '80s on Deutsche Grammophon is with the New York Phiharmonic, Vienna Philharmonic and Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. The only recording ever made with Bernstein conducting the Berlin Philharmonic is Mahler 9, from 1979. It is a white-hot, intense performance. It's been quite some time since I've listened to it, but I seem to recall liking it better than any of Bernstein's other M9s.

This particular M9 has some controversy behind it. Right at the huge climax in the 4th movement, where the trombones blast out the theme, the Berlin Phil. trombones are completely silent. Rumors have been spread over the years as to why this would've happened. Some say it was the Berlin Phil. sabotaging Bernstein, stemming from the dislike between Karajan and Bernstein. Who knows. It is rather odd though that since they actually performed the M9 twice, that it would've happened both times to get it on record.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I much prefer this M9 to either of Karajan's, who subsequently recorded his first M9 shortly after Bernstein's. Perhaps riding off of Bernstein's teaching of Mahler to the Berlin Phil.??
very_evil_smiley.gif
I won't get into a debate about that, here.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #1,659 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
no, its actually conducted by Maurice Abravanel and by the the Utah Symphony Orchestra. Listening to it in 5.1 is a treat
biggrin.gif

Welcome!

I have a particular fondness for Abravanel since my parents took me to see him many times when I was a kid. He was a very early champion of Mahler and knew (some say Biblically, if you get my drift) Mahler's widow. At one time his was the only complete Mahler recording set out there, and was praised for its unusual sonics (recorded in the super-ambient Mormon tabernacle in SLC). I still think his 4 and 8 are among the very best; his 1 is very nice too.

As you get into Mahler, you will discover many other great performances by many other conductors. Besides the 2nd as Scott mentioned, another logical next step would be the 4th symphony: In hi-rez, the Abravanel is good as I mentioned (out on DVD-A and Dual Disc), and so is the Reiner/Chicago Symphony version, which was just released on hybrid SACD (meaning it plays on regular CD players too) and at a really low price.

By the way, a great hi-rez Mahler 2nd is the Kaplan/Vienna Philharmonic SACD - and it's budget priced too. (This assumes you have a universal player). I'm sure there are DVD-A Mahler 2nd's in surround, I just don't know what they are.

Dec 21, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #1,662 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundsGood
Actually, Bernstein's Mahler from the '80s on Deutsche Grammophon is with the New York Phiharmonic, Vienna Philharmonic and Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. The only recording ever made with Bernstein conducting the Berlin Philharmonic is Mahler 9, from 1979. It is a white-hot, intense performance. It's been quite some time since I've listened to it, but I seem to recall liking it better than any of Bernstein's other M9s.

This particular M9 has some controversy behind it. Right at the huge climax in the 4th movement, where the trombones blast out the theme, the Berlin Phil. trombones are completely silent. Rumors have been spread over the years as to why this would've happened. Some say it was the Berlin Phil. sabotaging Bernstein, stemming from the dislike between Karajan and Bernstein. Who knows. It is rather odd though that since they actually performed the M9 twice, that it would've happened both times to get it on record.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Bernstein/BPO/DG live M9 is very good, but even better and slightly more intense is his original 1965 recording with NYPO......actually times in a couple minutes faster:
Sony/NYPO 79:51
DG/BPO 82

Then Lenny completely lost it throws us a curve ball and gives a glacial 90:14 version for the 1980s DG complete set with CBO......what was Bernstein thinking here? Unfortunatley modern versions of M9 also adapted this slow over polished style as evidenced with releases by Chailly, MTT, Zander etc....compare these to the 1938 Walter/VPO/EMI M9 at 69:52

Dec 21, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #1,663 of 3,718
One of these days I want to build a hi-rez Stereo rig, maybe with a Universal player.

Dec 21, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #1,664 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
One of these days I want to build a hi-rez Stereo rig, maybe with a Universal player.

I've been enjoying SACDs for almost five years now, and even though I have both 2-ch and m-ch setups (my m-ch setup is a player in my home theater system), 99% of the SACD listening I do is in 2-channel. Universal would be nice since there some good DVD-A titles, but I got on the SACD bandwagon early...

Dec 21, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #1,665 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
I've been enjoying SACDs for almost five years now, and even though I have both 2-ch and m-ch setups (my m-ch setup is a player in my home theater system), 99% of the SACD listening I do is in 2-channel. Universal would be nice since there some good DVD-A titles, but I got on the SACD bandwagon early...

My SACD player is in my home theater as well. I may just drop a new DVD player in there and move the SACD player to dedicated listening. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back