Mahler concerts at Carnegie, anyone going?
May 7, 2009 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm so excited! I just had to share. I just got confirmation, my Brother has scored tickets for this weekend so I am going to see/hear: Friday night at Carnegie it Boulez conducting Mahler No. 3, Saturday night it's Boulez conducting Mahler No.4 and Songs from Des Knaben Wunderhorn, and on Sunday it's Barenboim conducting No. 5 and Rückert Liede

It's Mothers-day weekend and his girlfriend who usually goes with him is going to visit her Mother,
bigsmile_face.gif
lucky for me!

Is anyone from here going?

May 7, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 5
That's awesome! I'm not going but I did see a great Mahler Symphony No. 4 performed at Carnegie by the Munich Philharmonic, conducted by James Levine a few years ago and it was amazing. I've also seen a killer Mahler No. 6 performed by the Metropolitan Opera orchestra also conducted by Levine around the same time as well, also at Carnegie. Great place!

May 7, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 5
Until Fall of 07 I lived in Boston and caught the BSO 10-12 times a year. That year I actually saw Levine conduct mahler No.3 twice in one week. I saw NY perform Mahler No.2 about 4 years ago at AFH

May 7, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 5
Carnegie hall truly is a beautiful place. I've had the privilege of playing there and the acoustics are... amazing. I could clearly hear individual players separate from each other, yet somehow together. Certainly an experience far above anything else I've experienced playing with my old high school's orchestra. You certainly won't be disappointed with the sound offstage either.

May 7, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 5
Carnegie is indeed a great venue. Enjoy yourself Ethan, and report back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back