Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #10,637 of 48,562
Hey, if I wanted to sell my monitor (the one in my profile), which part of the for sale/trade forum would I put it in?

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #10,638 of 48,562
Nameless, you had me quite interested in that CRT, and while it is amazing, it nonetheless comes with drawbacks (100lbs!) as does everything. OLED's are the future my man, unless you know of another display tech (SED seems to have fallen by the wayside).

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #10,640 of 48,562
However I did just remember, the graphics card does have built in audio too that will change over when the displayport is plugged in, HP HDMI basically,  I wonder if I can redirect that somehow to USB. Its a Nvida NVS 3100M. 

No, it doesn't work like that.

Thanks guys, the Matrix M-Stage was only meant to be a follow up if the STX didn't prove enough - conveniently enough the M-Stage was only available for me to buy after I had both the stx & q701.

Finally though there is one more barrier before I break out the plastic. I've heard that a X-Fi Titanium HD might be suited to gaming over the STX - although I'd be tempted to disregard this based on a couple of Creative cards I had in this past (although this would be under a decade ago now) that didn't live up to expectations.

In addition for my setup will I need any extra cables? On the back of my sub there are both 3.5mm and RCA connectors - could I use a splitter with the sub & Q701 to boost it a little? Would all these cables fit okay into the card? Do I need any optical/toslink cables?

The Ti HD would only be better if A) you play a lot of older games that use the now deprecated EAX instructions or B) you simply prefer CMSS-3D to Dolby Headphone. The latter's a subjective thing. The Ti HD doesn't have anywhere near the amplification that the STX does tho.

Not really sure what you mean about the sub, what are you trying to do with it? For hooking up your Q701 just connect them straight into the back of the card, there are discrete headphone and speaker outputs on it and you can switch between them in software (which in turn controls a hardware actuator, like a receiver, you'll hear a click when switching).

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #10,641 of 48,562
Well, I took the plunge and ordered the K702 Annies!  The Magni was feeling neglected. 
tongue_smile.gif

They should be here Monday, can't wait!

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #10,642 of 48,562
Quote:
Well, I took the plunge and ordered the K702 Annies!  The Magni was feeling neglected. 
tongue_smile.gif

They should be here Monday, can't wait!

My Annies just shipped too about time I was getting worried I would get a back order email. Mine will probably take longer as I have to clear customs.

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #10,643 of 48,562
Quote:
No, it doesn't work like that.

Yeah I looked around and it doesn't seem to. Oh well I guess Ill see how stereo sound works unless I can figure out a way to get that IDT to output through USB which I highly doubt. 

How much power does the Magni put out? I have a pair of AD700s and Ill be using them with a fiio E10 when I get it, hopefully Ill be ok with that?

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #10,644 of 48,562
Quote:
Also ordering a modmic, just want to confirm I will be getting the newest version with mute button.

I believe they still only have the non-mute version available, though they hope to put the mute pre-order up soon.

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #10,645 of 48,562
*Apologies for posting this in two threads. Wasn't sure where it fit better.*

So, I bought the Magni to go along with my Mixamp, but didn't bother with a DAC as I'm primarily going to use the Annies for console gaming and watching movies.  However, if I did want to listen to music, I figure I have two options available to me:

1. iPod on Apple dock - 3.5mm Line-out to Magni
  2. Laptop - USB out to Mixamp, Mixamp out to Magni

I realize I can just hook the Annies straight to my iPod's or laptop's headphone jack, but if I wanted to still have the Magni in that mix, which method above would give the best DAC output?

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #10,647 of 48,562
Quote:
The Ti HD would only be better if A) you play a lot of older games that use the now deprecated EAX instructions or B) you simply prefer CMSS-3D to Dolby Headphone. The latter's a subjective thing. The Ti HD doesn't have anywhere near the amplification that the STX does tho.
Not really sure what you mean about the sub, what are you trying to do with it? For hooking up your Q701 just connect them straight into the back of the card, there are discrete headphone and speaker outputs on it and you can switch between them in software (which in turn controls a hardware actuator, like a receiver, you'll hear a click when switching).

Excellent this clears things up for me, I do play a lot of games (mostly new, I suppose I don't play my old games enough anymore to warrant EAX) and listen to a lot of music so I think the STX is the one. Thanks very much!

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #10,648 of 48,562
Quote:

Glad they shipped.  Sucks about customs, though.

Being from amazon.com they will hopefully slip through quietly as they have in the past. So maybe a days hold up total. /knocking on wood!

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #10,649 of 48,562
For the love of god, please post up comparisons between the Q701 and Annies. Spend time with the Annie first to get used to the sound. Hifiguy had both an didnt hear a difference at first. Hell, he thought they had the same pads. Then he started saying they werent the same, etc. So I hope you guys do us a favor andgive them their due time.

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #10,650 of 48,562
Yeah I looked around and it doesn't seem to. Oh well I guess Ill see how stereo sound works unless I can figure out a way to get that IDT to output through USB which I highly doubt. 

How much power does the Magni put out? I have a pair of AD700s and Ill be using them with a fiio E10 when I get it, hopefully Ill be ok with that?

Yeah, on board audio isn't going anywhere thru USB either... A Xonar DG or DGX isn't very expensive if you just want DH tho, and they have decent amps. The AD700 are very easy to drive, I think they'll be fine on the E10 or either of those cards even.

For the love of god, please post up comparisons between the Q701 and Annies. Spend time with the Annie first to get used to the sound. Hifiguy had both an didnt hear a difference at first. Hell, he thought they had the same pads. Then he started saying they werent the same, etc. So I hope you guys do us a favor andgive them their due time.

I'd love to read a direct comparison from someone with both too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back