Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #10,666 of 48,562
What's with the industry's hate of DLP?

the technology has no heat and image retention like Plasma and excellent response time and no lag unlike LCD. I have had my DLP since 2006 and haven't replaced the bulb yet.

DLP is also super cheap for the consumer.

I had the last LED DLP Samsung made, a 67" one. I really loved it. I only sold it (well tried to, but the ****wads gave me funny money), because I wanted something that didn't take as much space, and didn't have such a narrow vertical viewing angle.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #10,667 of 48,562
Quote:
It was the screen door effect and rainbows for me.
confused_face.gif

The "rainbow effect" is quite annoying for me, but that's why you don't bother with single-chip DLP sets.

Triple-chip and laser DLP sets that don't need color wheels don't have that issue. Problem is, they're also more expensive.

As for the "screen door effect", most LCDs have it pretty blatantly at the larger sizes, though it's getting to be less of a problem at sizes 10" and lower due to the whole "Retina display" marketing push.

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #10,668 of 48,562
That one short throw laser projector that they showed at CES this year has me drooling. 100 in. at just under 2ft from the wall!

I still have an older infocus projector that I used to play Child of Eden on with the kinect and that was a wonderful experience. And yes, I tied 2 xbox controllers together and hung it around my neck for a make shift "trance vibrator".

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #10,670 of 48,562
So... does the Annie sound well off the mixamp alone or will I need another amp?

What am I saying, of course I'm probably going to need another amp. Mixamps Ohm= 32 coupled with the Annie's 62 ohm that probably won't give me a sufficient damping factor.

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #10,672 of 48,562
Quote:

There is the Xonar U3 for laptop surround + DAC.

+1 for the U3. It's an excellent budget option for laptop PC gaming. DAC is decent, not excellent in terms of tonality, but it does an excellent job with Dolby Headphone. I've used it in combination with an E9 to run my Q701s for gaming. I still use it when running Windows on my Macbook Pro.

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #10,673 of 48,562
Quote:
I dont think so.. This guy actually has a slider at the bottom of the window for "surround sensation".

It takes a stereo signal, upmixes it to some kind of dolby surround, then down mixes it back to stereo. It doesnt sound that great.

The way i understand Dolby Headphone, is it take a real, live Dolby 5.1 signal and just down mixes it to stereo.

Does this make sense to anyone? Am I understanding this correctly, for anyone that has used DHTV4? 

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #10,674 of 48,562
My Compass 2 is in New York. Assuming they get going today, I definitely expect it on Monday, or Tuesday at the latest.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #10,675 of 48,562
Aye lad, but the question now is, which amp should I buy? Magni is the obvious candidate, but maybe there are other amps I should consider. Although after having spent over $400 on one pair of headphones I don't want to spent much more than 100 (before tax and shipping) for an amp.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #10,676 of 48,562
Quote:
Now this is what we need.

Replace BF3 with BF2 or ArmA and I'd be all over that!

Only problem is, all the games mentioned have vehicles, and such an FPS simulator only really works while you're on-foot.

Quote:
Does this make sense to anyone? Am I understanding this correctly, for anyone that has used DHTV4? 

Your line of thought makes sense to me, though I obviously can't tell if it's correct or not without having a Xonar Phoebus to experiment with.

What doesn't help is that the whole "Dolby Home Theater" branding likely referring to a set of different technologies means that it'll have the same issues with the different CMSS-3D modes on X-Fi cards confusing the hell out of everyone, and if set up improperly, could very well result in trying to make surround out of stereo signals, which just doesn't work.

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #10,677 of 48,562
Just wanted to say I really like your guide here and what you're doing.

Based on all the research I did, I purchased the Sennheiser PC360s because they were known to be the best headsets on the market, and I have to say I wasn't that impressed with it.  I came from using the PC161s which are honestly one of my favorite headsets.  I know the Sennheiser brand and their quality, so I was expecting to be blown away coming from a lower end model.  I even purchased a separate dedicated sound card just to optimize my experience.

I found that although the clarity is good, overall applications such as music or movies, they weren't really anything special.  I was happy enough with the sound quality, but the major issue I had with them was the discomfort from clamping.  I have a pretty big head, and I couldn't have them on without adjusting them constantly.  That alone really killed it for me.  I stretched them constantly over my PC case (which is white, and now has some black impression marks from the earcups from the pressure..) and they would feel great for half an hour, and then start clamping my skull again.

I've decided that for me personally, I'd rather sell these and buy ones that are of "lower" quality that provide better comfort.

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #10,678 of 48,562
I've ordered my Q701s, didn't go for the anniversary edition since this is my first serious audio purchase.

One more question though, regarding soundcards, has any tested a Xonar Phoebus yet? The integrated microphone and dedicated surround sound is a very attractive proposition, but I've heard compared to the STX the quality is much lower. This would make sense considering their very similar prices. Also heard some bad things about the Phoebus' drivers. Considering it's just under a year old now perhaps things have changed?

I'm worrying that by buying the Phoebus I'll be negating my Q701's edge on sound fidelity. I listen to a lot of music (both bassy and non bassy, from electronica to drum and bass to jazz) but also game just as much. Any advice?

Originally Posted by gl0ry /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Based on all the research I did, I purchased the Sennheiser PC360s because they were known to be the best headsets on the market, and I have to say I wasn't that impressed with it.  I came from using the PC161s which are honestly one of my favorite headsets.  I know the Sennheiser brand and their quality, so I was expecting to be blown away coming from a lower end model.  I even purchased a separate dedicated sound card just to optimize my experience.

Quite sure that an integrated microphone drags down the overall sound/build quality in any headset. Spend the same amount of money in Sennheiser's headphone range and I think you would find the quality you were looking for

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #10,679 of 48,562
Just wanted to say I really like your guide here and what you're doing.

I found that although the clarity is good, overall applications such as music or movies, they weren't really anything special.  I was happy enough with the sound quality, but the major issue I had with them was the discomfort from clamping.  I have a pretty big head, and I couldn't have them on without adjusting them constantly.  That alone really killed it for me.  I stretched them constantly over my PC case (which is white, and now has some black impression marks from the earcups from the pressure..) and they would feel great for half an hour, and then start clamping my skull again.

I've decided that for me personally, I'd rather sell these and buy ones that are of "lower" quality that provide better comfort.

Mentioned several times throughout this guide that the PC360 is mostly just a competitive gaming beast, but is on the somewhat boring side for music and movies, due to it being geared towards balance, and not much else. Dunno about the one you like, but I'm gonna guess it has more bass and colored signature, which is why you prefer it.

Still, you pit the PC360 vs anything for soundwhoring and positional cues, and I doubt they'll best the PC 360.

As for comfort, this is why I over extend the arms and wear them loose.

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #10,680 of 48,562
Hey, anyone, best IEM? Can anyone point me towards an IEM worthy of getting instead of the Annies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back