Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 4, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #5,043 of 48,579
Did anyone every use the hd 800's for gaming? I was just curious.

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #5,044 of 48,579

Quote:
Did anyone every use the hd 800's for gaming? I was just curious.

No and i never would at its price point lol.

Yeah i would but i would have to save forever to purchase that can lol..

Yeah if you get them let us know how they sound, because i'm dieing to know also.

Whats wrong with the ad700's they are said to be like king of the hill for fps gaming..

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #5,045 of 48,579
I cant afford them either and my ad 700's are stored safely away. I have been listening to alot of music lately so I have been going back and forth between the dt's and the q701's. I maybe can afford the hd 700's but I will wait for the reviews first. They have been selling a few 800's on canuck audio mart but I am not sure. I like playing blk ops with the 701's and cant seem to play that great with mw3.

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #5,046 of 48,579
The HD700 are like $1k  right?? if so thats also alot...

Wow your still playing blops??

MW3 is badly broken and needs some serious fixing. lol

Will be using my HE500 with my underpowerd mix amp tonight on mw3 maybe even try to get my buddies to get on blops again its been awhile since playing that.

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #5,047 of 48,579

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickronin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Just wondering, does anyone know if it is possible to use electrets or electrostatic headphones with a Mixamp? I know the electrostatics require a special amp to be placed in front of the Mixamp, not sure how Electrets would work. Would EITHER be possible with a Mixamp?

Just run the mixamp's output to the input of whatever amp the other headphones need.

Exactly.

For the record, electrets ARE electrostatics, just a particular subset that doesn't need external bias voltage because either the diaphragm or the stators (back-electret) are permanently charged with high voltage. Lower amplification requirements because of that, but the performance isn't as good. Stax electrets still use SRD-4 adapter boxes meant to take speaker-level input, but other electrets from Koss and the famed Toshiba/Rotel/etc. back-electret may have adapter boxes with large 6.3mm jacks meant for headphone-outs.

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #5,048 of 48,579

Quote:
Since you're already here, you might as well post the question here. Or at least give us a link to that thread.

Here ya go, any help would be awesome. Believe me, I know the price range I gave limits things a lot.

I've been searching for a pair of headphones and I'm stuck. I've read many of the threads and figured I should ask those who know more than I do about these things.
So here's what I'm looking for:
A pair of headphones for gaming with my mixamp on xbox 360 - mostly competitively.
Priced no higher than (about) $120.
I will also use them for music and an occasional movie so I don't want them to be too light on bass like the AD700's.
I want to be able to use them without having an amp as I will probably use them with a mobile device for music most often.
I had originally narrowed my search down to the CAL!, pro DJ100 and the A700's but this was from a search of primarily closed headphones.
I would probably elect to buy an open pair (unless a closed pair would have a big enough soundstage) since I've read that mostly open designs are preferred.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #5,049 of 48,579
Here check out this thread http://www.gamespot.com/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2/forum/astro-a40-vs-tritton-ax720-54434557/ ... LOLed hard.

I bought a Tritton AX720 amp/decoder box only for about $15. I invested another $5 in cables/adapters to make it work with any headphones. It gets loud even with the 600ohm Dt770pro's. But what is with the digital rain drops when there is no audio coming thru when dolby headphone is engaged? Does the Astro mix amp get that weird sound? I've read lots of reports of the ax720's doing that. To me it sounds like it needs a filter cap installed somewhere.

The one thing I don't like about the ax720 is that it is not a usb sound card. It is only fed by an optical output with the dolby digital signal already on it. 

Is the astro mix amp worth getting now that I already have the ax720 amp working for me?

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #5,050 of 48,579
Hello all, space noob here coming down to Earth for some advice.

I'd like to consider myself an audiophile but then I'd probably be a an ignorant peon since my best headphones have been the DIR2000 Pioneer surround headphones, I thought they were insanely good but I keep hearing how virtual surround (Dolby Headphones) surpasses them with ease.

I've read through the entire thread (after hours and hours of reading) on the avsforum board and read a few pages here (still reading to catch up but it takes time) and I love the insight.

I play a lot of actio/adventure games, rpg's and third person shooters like Resident Evil or Gears of War. I'm this close to buying the DT990 but I read about how the treble is a bit sharp on them and the mid's recessed. Does this mean voices in games can be harder to hear? Are sound effects like a siren or the alarm in metal Gear going to pierce my ears with them?

As someone who has never bought a high end headphone other than a IR based wireless one I'm unsure what to expect, I usually like very balanced sound but when using iTunes I often find myself changing songs to Treble boost since I find it improves things using the HD558 I use with my laptop.

Any insight MUCH appreciated.

Thank you!

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #5,051 of 48,579
The DT990s mids are recessed in that they aren't as forward as the bass or treble. That being said, the mids are very detailed. Never had a problem with listening to voices off them.

Also, dolby headphone tends to diffuse the treble out a bit, so its not as piercing as a direct attack of treble in stereo mode. If you prefer a lot of bass, the DT990 Pros have even better treble, so its not as sharp.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #5,052 of 48,579

Quote:
So here's what I'm looking for:
A pair of headphones for gaming with my mixamp on xbox 360 - mostly competitively.
Priced no higher than (about) $120.
I will also use them for music and an occasional movie so I don't want them to be too light on bass like the AD700's.
I want to be able to use them without having an amp as I will probably use them with a mobile device for music most often.
I had originally narrowed my search down to the CAL!, pro DJ100 and the A700's but this was from a search of primarily closed headphones.
I would probably elect to buy an open pair (unless a closed pair would have a big enough soundstage) since I've read that mostly open designs are preferred.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Going by MLE's first post in this thread, and a general lack of discussion about the DJ100 and A700 for gaming, I would imagine the CAL! sounds like the right choice at your budget. You should stick with closed--you said you want to use them on the go for music too.

Quote:
I bought a Tritton AX720 amp/decoder box only for about $15. I invested another $5 in cables/adapters to make it work with any headphones. It gets loud even with the 600ohm Dt770pro's. But what is with the digital rain drops when there is no audio coming thru when dolby headphone is engaged? Does the Astro mix amp get that weird sound? I've read lots of reports of the ax720's doing that. To me it sounds like it needs a filter cap installed somewhere.

The one thing I don't like about the ax720 is that it is not a usb sound card. It is only fed by an optical output with the dolby digital signal already on it. 

Is the astro mix amp worth getting now that I already have the ax720 amp working for me?

1. Digital rain drops? What do you mean?
2. Not a usb sound card--well, why do you need USB? Are you playing console only, or console+PC?
3. Prettty sure it's been covered more than a few times that the Dolby decoding at play in AX720, MixAmp and JVC's SU-DH1 is all the same. What might differ is whether there's hiss or not, but...if it's not noticeable on your AX720 now (and it shouldn't be--your 600 ohm headphones will likely have a very low noise floor) then I can't imagine the MixAmp making much difference to you.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #5,053 of 48,579
Yeah, if the AX720 is working as it should, there isn't a hint of a difference between it and the Mixamp other than the hiss.

Also, if the AX720 you bought came with the in line puck (which you can adjust the volume/etc), the puck separates into two pieces which allows use of any headphone and mic. Not sure what adapter he bought, but I hope it was the legit AX720 one.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #5,054 of 48,579

Quote:
Going by MLE's first post in this thread, and a general lack of discussion about the DJ100 and A700 for gaming, I would imagine the CAL! sounds like the right choice at your budget. You should stick with closed--you said you want to use them on the go for music too.

Closed isn't really a priority as I would probably use them at home mostly and when listening I'm on the go (not often at all) I typically stick with earbuds.
Are there any open headphones you would recommend for under roughly $120?

Thanks for the help to you and anyone else who responds.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #5,055 of 48,579

Quote:

1. Digital rain drops? What do you mean?
2. Not a usb sound card--well, why do you need USB? Are you playing console only, or console+PC?
3. Prettty sure it's been covered more than a few times that the Dolby decoding at play in AX720, MixAmp and JVC's SU-DH1 is all the same. What might differ is whether there's hiss or not, but...if it's not noticeable on your AX720 now (and it shouldn't be--your 600 ohm headphones will likely have a very low noise floor) then I can't imagine the MixAmp making much difference to you.

Digital rain drops is an easy way to describe it. When Dolby headphone is engaged and there is no sound coming from your source it sounds like crystal pins dropping on glass surfaces all around you.

I do Console + PC. I have an Asus DG sound card but the headphone amp on it is hissing now after 2 weeks of use and my motherboard has Optical output but no dolby encoding. Thus if the AX 720 was usb like the mix amp it would be a huge plus.

I don't think I need to spend another Hundred dollars just to have a usb sound card. I have everything I need I just need to use it. The only down side to the way I have the AX720's cables is that I'm using a KVM cable as my male to male ps/2 cable and it is really really heavy and awkward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back