Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 20, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #826 of 48,578
Ya, make sure your not running optical from Xbox --> TV --> to mixamp.  A lot of the time TVs screw up the DD 5.1 signal when you pass through them.

When I had my old xbox I used HDMI out to the TV, and used the microsoft audio dongle adapter to go Toslink straight into the mixamp.
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Audio-Dongle-Adapter-Cable/dp/B002WIG4LW

Now I have the xbox slim, and that has a dedicated optical out port.

If its doing pro logic it would sound like the sound is just pushed out in all 4 directions, but there is no clear directionality.
Dolby Headphone should sound cleaner and have discrete directionality in the sounds that you can hear.

Mar 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #827 of 48,578
Optical goes from my Slim to mixamp, tried BlackOps on my HD tv with HDMI and I'm positive I hear more on blackops, mm..

I may try another pair of headphones before I try surround sound, not sure.. hopefully something which fits better, AD700's don't seem to like my ears/head much.

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #828 of 48,578

Quote:
Optical goes from my Slim to mixamp, tried BlackOps on my HD tv with HDMI and I'm positive I hear more on blackops, mm..

I may try another pair of headphones before I try surround sound, not sure.. hopefully something which fits better, AD700's don't seem to like my ears/head much.

Try turning down the music from the options menu.  AD700's aren't my favorite but goddamn do they let you know everything that's going on around you.  Very strange problem you're having.

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #829 of 48,578
I put a post in the "general advice" thread but didn't see any responses.  I guess I'm all but decided on Senn 555's and mixamp 5.8.

The last piece of the puzzle is getting a mute switch for whatever mic I choose.
I saw one on amazon by Intec/Datel but it is offered used by someone, and given the reviews about the build quality, I'd rather get one new.

I have searched seemingly everywhere I know to look to find a mute switch solution, to no avail.  I really like the idea of the intec solution as it puts the switch on the controller like it was with the original 360 headset.

Somebody please help.  Being able to mute easily is a key function for me, my wife makes a habit of asking me important or detailed questions while I'm gaming and I would explode without a mute switch.

Thanks!

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #830 of 48,578
Why don't you just buy the sennheiser pc360. In my opinion it is better than hd555 as a gaming headphones, plus the built in mic with easy mute function

Quote:
I put a post in the "general advice" thread but didn't see any responses.  I guess I'm all but decided on Senn 555's and mixamp 5.8.

The last piece of the puzzle is getting a mute switch for whatever mic I choose.
I saw one on amazon by Intec/Datel but it is offered used by someone, and given the reviews about the build quality, I'd rather get one new.

I have searched seemingly everywhere I know to look to find a mute switch solution, to no avail.  I really like the idea of the intec solution as it puts the switch on the controller like it was with the original 360 headset.

Somebody please help.  Being able to mute easily is a key function for me, my wife makes a habit of asking me important or detailed questions while I'm gaming and I would explode without a mute switch.

Thanks!

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #832 of 48,578
Unless you don't know how to find deals, the PC360 shouldn't cost you more than $180, which IMHO is totally worth it for the mic, easy mute (flip up the mic), and volume control on the right ear cup. Plus they're sexy in all black, and are built better than the headband cracking HD555/595.

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #833 of 48,578
Was able to find them for $200 from a shady retailer.  But yes, I generally know how to find deals, been going to slickdeals, CAG, and all that for the last 6 years.  But by all means, if you have a link to a better price, please share.

But I guess we have differing ideas of value, I can't justify $100 for a mic when I know it's a $10-$20 part.  I'll find something I was just hoping for more help because I know I'm not the only one to have done this.

Quote:
Unless you don't know how to find deals, the PC360 shouldn't cost you more than $180, which IMHO is totally worth it for the mic, easy mute (flip up the mic), and volume control on the right ear cup. Plus they're sexy in all black, and are built better than the headband cracking HD555/595.

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #834 of 48,578
You can get them for $180 from Razor Dog Deals... at least that's where I know people got it from. I think there's an ebay listing (under another name), and it's the same seller. They're legit (authorized Senn dealer), and it's where I know all my AVS friends have been getting it from. I don't have the info on how to get it for that cheap on there, but when I bought them, I did get it from there with no problems. I know some peeps on here have the info, which someone may pm you.

They're on backorder until March 23rd though.

In any case, to me it's not just an attached mic you're getting. You're getting a GOOD built in mic, better build quality than the 555/595, integrated volume knob on the right ear cup, all in one package. Yes, it's not as CHEAP as the 555/595, but to those of us looking for a simple, practical, all in one solution that kicks ass for gaming, the PC360 is it.

Would I spend $250? No. But for $180, I'd gladly take that hit anyday, considering most gaming headsets are crap.

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #835 of 48,578
Different people have different willingness to pay, for some it's just not affordable to pay as much for a built in mic as the headphones themselves which is very understandable. As a non-gamer, I wouldn't even if I was into gaming.

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #836 of 48,578
For me, I couldn't justify spending that amount on an all in one headset as I use the headphones on the move as well sometimes and don't fancy looking like a complete TOOL walking around with a headset and mic listening to music on a train... when buying the separate headphones you can use them for more than indoor use.

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #837 of 48,578
Well, I have been buying headphones back and forth because I couldn't justify paying that much for pc360. Now I have it, I regret not doing so earlier.

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #838 of 48,578

Why do I feel like I have such a difficult time deciding between the PC350 and PC360? How much of an "open" setup is PC360? Am I going to hear everything from outside or is there some isolation? As for the sound quality itself, anyone here owned both and would like to comment?

Thank you

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #839 of 48,578
biting the bullet and getting the PC360.  But waiting for someone on AVS forum (or here!) to PM me with how to get that price on RazorDogDeals.

Yeah I take a $6 hit on shipping the HD555 back to Amazon, but I'm so over trying to find a mic solution and it *does* fit within my original budget goal.

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #840 of 48,578
Good thing you can get it. I hope you will be as happy as I am.
Quote:
biting the bullet and getting the PC360.  But waiting for someone on AVS forum (or here!) to PM me with how to get that price on RazorDogDeals.

Yeah I take a $6 hit on shipping the HD555 back to Amazon, but I'm so over trying to find a mic solution and it *does* fit within my original budget goal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back