Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 24, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #856 of 48,578
Quote:
hey guys, i'm in the market for a mixamp + headset (or headphones + mic) setup and I've narrowed it down to this:

Mixamp 5.8 +...

ATH-AD700
or
ATH-A700
or
ATH-A700PRO?
or
Sennheiser HD555

these would presumably be used alongside a clipon mic of some sort. I took a look at the PC350/PC360 but their price is really a bit crazy for me since I can get a clipon mic and the mixamp can control the mic volume. The ATH's can all be had for around $100, and the HD555 is $90.

My usage would be something like 60% games, 20% movies 20% music... can someone tell me if I'm on the right track? I'm leaning towards the AD700.

What I'm currently using is PS3 -> HDMI -> computer monitor that has an audio passthrough. The audio passthrough is routed through my macbook's linein and then I also run Skype to chat with my buddies while I play. So I plug my Ultimate Ears superfi 5vi into the audio out on the macbook and get the combination of both the PS3 sound and the skype sound. I hope to recreate this setup except with a mixamp thrown in there as well and a proper headphone/headset because my 5vi broke :frowning2: what I am trying to do is possible with the mixamp 5.8, right?

thanks in advance!

By audio pass through - do you mean optical?  Because thats what the mixamp needs.  Some displays pass the 5.1 DD signal correctly, some don't...

If you got a wireless mixamp, I don't see why you would bother with trying to route stuff through your monitor.  Just plug the Tx base in next to the PS3 with a short optical cable then put the reciever wherever.

The AD700 has the best soundstage, positioning, and detail of the headphones you listed, but it may note be as pleasing for movies and music because its seriously lacks bass and weight to the sound.  This can be an advantage in competitive games, but may detract from fun an immersion in single player games.  I prefer my PC360s for shooters and high action multiplayer (stuff with gunshots and explosions), but I still use AD700s for some single player games where thats not as important.

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #857 of 48,578
thanks for the reply :) Yes once I have the mixamp 5.8 I would not route anything through my monitor anymore. What my monitor can do is take an HDMI connection and pass the audio out through a 3.5mm connection. This is necessary because I need to mix the sound together with the skype using my macbook.

Once I have the MixAmp I would presumably connect the ps3 -> optical -> mixamp and also macbook -> USB/3.5mm adaptor -> mixamp and run skype through that. Then I will have the same result, but done through the mixamp if my understanding is correct. As long as the result is Skype chat + PS3 game audio, I am happy :)

I see that you have a Turtle Beach DSS... how is that compared to the mixamp? Better/worse? I ask because I have a lot of bestbuy credit and the TurtleBeach would be a lot cheaper for me to buy than the Mixamp. I understand that it is not wireless.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #858 of 48,578
The DSS is messier wire wise, but sounds the same surround sound wise.

Its a pain to rig up voice through it, but I guess your using skype for that so it would be fine.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #859 of 48,578
I've never heard the Tritton AX720s, but their available at best buy's as well - and you get a mixer and headset for pretty cheap.

Edit:  I've heard the Trittons aren't great for music
frown.gif

Mar 27, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #862 of 48,578
tip for you guys on ps3-

instead of using dolby headphone, go into system sound settings and disable everything except for the 1st option (PCM?). The "surround sound" effect is already encoded in their stereo track (in COD games). You can EASILY hear front vs back effects, even better than my receiver which has dolby headphone.

Mar 27, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #863 of 48,578

Quote:
How is the Sennheiser PC 360 for big heads?  I have a giant noggin, and have a hard time with some headphones.

Out of the box it clamps a fair bit.  You can leave them stretched out over something for few days to loosen them up.

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #864 of 48,578
Anyone got any tips to know if you're listening at a safe volume w/ open headphones? I can hear people talking beside me etc when listening to music but just want to make extra sure it's okay, got a bit of tinnitus and don't want it getting worse lol.

I use the Ear Force DSS + the AD700s and the volume knob ain't even a quarter of the way round... my mate put them on and said they were too quite but just wondering if you guys have any advice.

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #866 of 48,578
Very informative thread! MLE i follow your advice and got ax720! now i want another headphone budget is $200 will use it on iphone (music) and also on gaming non fps type i dont have an amp and i cant buy right now since my budget is not that big. any suggestions are appreciated, by the way im not a audiophile im just casual listener and a gamer! Thanks and More power to this thread!

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #867 of 48,578

Quote:
Very informative thread! MLE i follow your advice and got ax720! now i want another headphone budget is $200 will use it on iphone (music) and also on gaming non fps type i dont have an amp and i cant buy right now since my budget is not that big. any suggestions are appreciated, by the way im not a audiophile im just casual listener and a gamer! Thanks and More power to this thread!

I too have the AX720. I actually just started using it for the decoder box, but the headset that comes with it really isn't that bad at all. It serves its purpose for gaming quite nicely. 

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #868 of 48,578
Has anyone heard the FA-011 and compared them to the AD700's?

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #870 of 48,578

Quote:
Has anyone heard the FA-011 and compared them to the AD700's?

I just googled those and FYI they look extremely similiar to the turtle beach HPX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back