Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 6, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #28,171 of 48,578
  Anyone else think the EL-8 is going to be a gaming option?  According to Jude, it's the airiest Audeze yet and it's more "reference" sounding than the LCD-2.  Combined with its light weight and supposed ease of driving, I'm thinking it might work.  

Looking forward to trying them on Thursday.  If they sound good AND work as a gaming headphone, they could be an awesome all-in-one.

Nope. Never. Not gonna happen. No way. Nuh uh. Now I'm running out of things to say that start with "N." November's nordic national necktie nurturing neanderthals.

It could make a great gaming headphone if it's low impedance as the portable aspect is implying. We'll know soon once you've had a chance to listen to it.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #28,173 of 48,578
Aren't they identical? Save for the color, cable and possibly lower [2ohm > 1ohm] headphone out impedance?

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #28,178 of 48,578
Bet that plugging the upgraded power supply into the regular X7 will produce the same sound in speakers... the extra power is irrelevant for headphones (unless you're talking headphones that connect to speaker terminals).

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #28,179 of 48,578
I bet that cable will be purchasable separately. an extra 100$ for -1ohm and 'premium' looks... Well... Nope! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #28,180 of 48,578
Loving the AKG K7XX for ps4 gaming so far with my Audioengine D1. Played a bunch of Farcry 4 and Dragon Age in the last day or two and they both sound gorgeous. Positioning is pretty good, though its tough to hear when things are 100% behind you (still kinda sounds like center/front), This could be more down to the DAC though, or the games audio implementation (or I just need to try some surround headphone processing alternatives).

One weird thing is that the L and R sides are swapped... so I need to wear the headphones the wrong way around. Which could also be contributing to the slightly off positioning. 
Only way I can think to fix it is getting an amp with RCA input and switching the RCA cables (as someone mentioned above). Magni second hand or Magni 2?
I assume this is some weird issue with PS4 use of USB DACs... I might try optical input to the D1 and power the USB off AC which may be better anyway..

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #28,181 of 48,578
  Loving the AKG K7XX for ps4 gaming so far with my Audioengine D1. Played a bunch of Farcry 4 and Dragon Age in the last day or two and they both sound gorgeous. Positioning is pretty good, though its tough to hear when things are 100% behind you (still kinda sounds like center/front), This could be more down to the DAC though, or the games audio implementation (or I just need to try some surround headphone processing alternatives).

One weird thing is that the L and R sides are swapped... so I need to wear the headphones the wrong way around. Which could also be contributing to the slightly off positioning. 
Only way I can think to fix it is getting an amp with RCA input and switching the RCA cables (as someone mentioned above). I assume this is some weird issue with PS4 use of USB DACs... I might try optical input to the D1 and power the USB off AC which may be better anyway..

Oh man, you mean I'm not the only one?  Thanks goodness!  I'm running Optical not USB, btw, since I'm using the Recon for surround.  But it's telling that we're both seeing that problem on different output ports. 

Google brought up this interesting link:  http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=34748.0

Apparently, 1 - The Recon doesn't need the optical cable, it's being used as a USB DAC.  2 - This is a known issue with the PS4 and USB DAC's.  3 - Switching the Recon to PC mode might fix it.  I'm going to try tonight!  Not sure how you will be able to fix the D1, tho.  :frowning2:

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #28,182 of 48,578
Hey guys. So I've been lurking for the past month or so trying to learn the in's and out's of this new (to me) way of listening and gaming. After reading the past 10 months or so worth of posts (yes, it took a long ass time), I decided to bite the bullet and give my wife a christmas wishlist. I ended up getting the Sennheiser HD 598s, and the X7. I'm mainly using it on my PS4 and X1. My question is 2 two-fold:

1) Is this a good setup? Am I wasting the X7 on the HD 598s? I had only ever had a pair of Trittons previously, so this was a pretty big step up. However, would I get far more out of the X7 with a different set of phones? I mainly care about directional FPS gaming - anything else is gravy.

2) Most of my multiplayer gaming is on the X1. Is there a chat solution for the X7 yet? I haven't been able to find one, but I thought I might have missed it. Money really isn't too much of a factor...If there's a way to get game chat through the X7, even if it isn't practical, I'd like to hear it. If there's a work around for the PS4 that's great too, but again, I mainly play multiplayer on the X1.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Before breaking into this hobby (which has proven expensive...and fun!...quickly), I had no idea what games were meant to actually sound like. This really has been eye opening. Thanks again!

PittGatorJD

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #28,183 of 48,578

Oh man, you mean I'm not the only one?  Thanks goodness!  I'm running Optical not USB, btw, since I'm using the Recon for surround.  But it's telling that we're both seeing that problem on different output ports. 

Google brought up this interesting link:  http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=34748.0

Apparently, 1 - The Recon doesn't need the optical cable, it's being used as a USB DAC.  2 - This is a known issue with the PS4 and USB DAC's.  3 - Switching the Recon to PC mode might fix it.  I'm going to try tonight!  Not sure how you will be able to fix the D1, tho.  :frowning2:

Weird hey... Yeah when I plugged my D1 into both optical and the usb into the PS4 to power it, it just used the USB for the output. But I didn't try powering the D1 from the wall socket and only trying the optical from ps4. I'm hoping it'll work... (though no way to select a different mode on the device like your recon, but it is usually automatic at least from a PC output)

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #28,184 of 48,578
  Weird hey... Yeah when I plugged my D1 into both optical and the usb into the PS4 to power it, it just used the USB for the output. But I didn't try powering the D1 from the wall socket and only trying the optical from ps4. I'm hoping it'll work... (though no way to select a different mode on the device like your recon, but it is usually automatic at least from a PC output)

Oh if you have the option to go optical with wall power, it should work that way.  Curious if it will fix it, but I suspect so since that probably does the same thing as swapping the Recon to PC mode.

Now that I think about it, swapping to PC mode might lose my mic on the Recon... probably not a bad thing when I'm playing MP shooters anyhow.  Right guys?  lol

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #28,185 of 48,578
I have the opportunity to return the AKG K612's and get a set of the K702's as they would be easier to drive than the 612's. Would this be a wise move?

I could get an amp/dac later on down the track but right now the "minister for finance" is watching my every move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back