Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 9, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #27,571 of 48,578
It sounds ok to me, but its not the wow factor I'm looking for.  Hoping the A7 might do that with everything integrated

If you are expecting for a virtual surround headphone that will sound exactly like a 5.1/7.1 loudspeaker setup, that won't ever happen, it can never simulate the far Front and Back direction sounds because there's only Left and Right directed speaker to your ears.
Its inherent to the virt. surround tech, to phaseshift every 5.1/7.1 audio channels into 2 channel stereo mix. to create the out of the head surround sound.
These out of phase processing will always be present with these chirping/slissing/tin can/metallic/shrill/nasal/hollow sounding effects, the more surround intensity the louder these "side" effects.
--
You can tweak instantly for the best surround settings with your Recon3D PC software together with the audio playing from the DD optical input.
Only these 5 settings Surround/Crystalizer/Bass/Smart Volume/Dialog Plus can be saved to the standalone device.
--
Its possible the Dolby Headphone is more suitable to your movies as DD is a movie standard audio. DH have more roomreverberation added in the surround sound, so could be better if you like the "theater" sounds.
You can listen to some DH samples on youtube to find out what you like etc.:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dolby+headphone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ROujJ8Ae8

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #27,572 of 48,578
Seems like theres a small review about the x7 on amazon. I think the person gave it a 3 star lol. Obviously he is ranting a bit about how overkil it is blah blah blah. Seems to be a PC only type of guy. Im sure for the multi use ( console and pc gaming) can benefit from the x7, as well as using passive speakers.

Dec 9, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #27,573 of 48,578
superficial review, and guy got not much clue

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #27,574 of 48,578
Sometimes I hate when my mind connects dots that didn't need connecting. A friend was asking for headset recommendations under $80 to play WoW and in my mind I calculated that I'm playing WoW on a $1650 system. I paid nowhere near that, of course, but the realization is still crazy in comparison to the simple $65 headset I recommended. It was the HyperX Cloud, for anyone who may be curious.

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #27,575 of 48,578
Sometimes I hate when my mind connects dots that didn't need connecting. A friend was asking for headset recommendations under $80 to play WoW and in my mind I calculated that I'm playing WoW on a $1650 system. I paid nowhere near that, of course, but the realization is still crazy in comparison to the simple $65 headset I recommended. It was the HyperX Cloud, for anyone who may be curious.

Yup, great headset, alot of people are recommending it for the budget peeps that need something good but cheap. By now, everyone shpuld know this.

Either you turn your friends into the head fi forums or just recommend the hyper x and feel like you achieved something for the day lol

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #27,576 of 48,578

Yeah, my PC setup is in the $1200 MSRP range now. Yeah yeah, I'm also sorry about my wallet.  lol

Still enjoying the HD700?

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #27,577 of 48,578
If anyone is looking for original AD700s for gaming, I am selling a pair in the For Sale/Trade section. PM Me. 

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #27,578 of 48,578

The simplicity and great sound of the HP200, plus the comfort of the alcantaras, is what keeps me from using/wanting anything else for gaming. Do you still use yours?

Edit: I did get the K7XX, but only because of the great deal at $200. Even so, the HP200 will remain to be my primary gaming cans for the reasons stated.

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #27,579 of 48,578
Well, I have to say, I'm rather impressed with the CAL!  For the price, these are a very very good sounding headphone.  Yes, they feel super cheap (seriously, I'm terrified to put these in my messenger back for the ride to work tomorrow!).  Yes, the cord is terrible (super thin, super short, non-removable).  Yes, they're a very small over-ear (kinda weird but not uncomfortable).  But it doesn't matter because the sound is very good.  

Bass is on the heavy side without being over the top or too loose.  The bass blends in with the mids very well and the mids sound really really good.  The weak spot is the trebles, which sound severely rolled-off.  The overall sound is slightly warm but not a ton.  The soundstage isn't half bad for a closed can, too.  These are just a really nice all-arounder that's easy to drive and cheap.  

I'm going to have to get my HP100 back from the wife to A/B these.  Just from memory, the HP100 already wins in build quality and comfort.  I can also say already that it has bass extension on these and a much more neutral sound (sub-bass hump instead of mid-bass).  But I want to listen back to back to hear how much of a difference there really is overall.  The CAL! is so much cheaper than even the refurbished HP100 that it could be my new go-to for a cheap closed all-arounder.

For $50, this was quite a bargain!

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #27,580 of 48,578
Hey all, finally in the market for my second pair of audiophile headphones!

I own a DT 990 Pro 250 ohms, a Sound Blaster ZXR sound card, and I just purchased a CEntrance DACmini CX. I love my Beyers, but I understand that they are very "fun" headphones so I'm looking for something that sounds pretty different. I'd like to have variety, as much as I like my Beyers I just want the option to switch it up every now and again. Plus, as a budding audiophile, I'll be able to better understand sound terminology and the comparisons of headphones once I can hear all the little nuances between them. In terms of objective audio fidelity, I am looking for something a tier above my Beyers, so my budget is about $400-$500 max (that is to say I don't mind spending less). I am also considering just saving up for much more expensive headphones (like $1k max), but that'll take time until I can buy one, is not preferable and may not be worth it for me. Needless to say I will be using them for gaming as well. So something that is a fantastic all-rounder, super comfortable, and sound different enough from my Beyers?

Any ideas? Thanks so much.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #27,581 of 48,578
Yes, Amazon has the x7 in stock fulfillment via creative directly.

Another awesome deal for anyone interested is if you buy a AKG headset that is sold by Amaon directly you an additional 15% off. So I ended up getting a x7 and the 712pros. The 712's after the additional off ended up being $307 instead of $360 and being a Prime member I got overnight shipping for $4 and some change.

I'm not a audiophile by any means but really enjoy great sound from music and gaming and give my uneducated opinion off the setup when it all gets here today and have some time to play with it.

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #27,582 of 48,578
excellent choice

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #27,583 of 48,578
Yes, Amazon has the x7 in stock fulfillment via creative directly.

Another awesome deal for anyone interested is if you buy a AKG headset that is sold by Amaon directly you an additional 15% off. So I ended up getting a x7 and the 712pros. The 712's after the additional off ended up being $307 instead of $360 and being a Prime member I got overnight shipping for $4 and some change.

I'm not a audiophile by any means but really enjoy great sound from music and gaming and give my uneducated opinion off the setup when it all gets here today and have some time to play with it.

I just bought a CEntrance DACmini CX, but I have a Sound Blaster ZXR sound card. Kind of wish I got this guy instead :frowning2:

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #27,584 of 48,578
Can someone confirm, I thought I read that the X7 and the ZxR have the same DAC and Amp?  Or am I misremembering?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back