Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 23, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #14,656 of 48,578
I've read, that Dolby home theater v4 has no real virtual surround effect - it has just a stereo widening effect.

Hi guys !!

Seems like a lot of people who get used to dolby headphone on previous Xonar card questioning this. I`ve done some researched on the internet and also with my personal experience after using the phoebus for a month. Apparently, they replaced the dolby headphone features in phoebus with Xear Surround Headphone. Both has almost similar feature which is taking 7.1 signal from windows audio (it can be games, movies, etc) and virtualized it through stereo headphones so you`ll get directional surround sound from your stereo headphone.

Unlike Xear Surround Headphone and Dolby Headphone, The Dolby HT4 will only takes 2 channels from windows audio (It also can be games, movies,etc) and if u activate the surround virtualizer on the HT4`s control panel, it will only gives you virtualized surround sound from 2 channels audio. so that means, HT4`s surround is just pretty much like stereo widening effect and not directional surround sound featured on Dolby Headphone or Xear Surround Headphone.

You can check it by yourself, try to thick the Xear Surround Headphone option on Phoebus control panel and check the right click on volume icon on taskbar -> click playback devices -> right click on asus xonar phoebus (headphones) -> properties -> click advanced tab

you`ll see Xear surround 7.1 in default format drop down box, that means windows will gives information to the games or media which you play that you are using 7.1 audio setup, therefore the games will send up to 7.1 audio channels (depending on the game, most games used 5.1 channels) to phoebus and xear surround headphone will gives you "dolby headphone like" directional surround sound over stereo headphones.

Hope this will help most peoples who got confused about it.
Cheers

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29575-Dolby-headphone-in-Phoebus&p=246259&viewfull=1#post246259

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #14,658 of 48,578
I myself ordered a Xonar U3. Was missing Dolby headphone with all this PC gaming. THX Tru Studio is good, but not as immersive, and not as good at rear cues.That, and the constant resetting of my sound options was getting to me. Hopefully with the Xonar, I won't have to do that, but who knows? Sold the PLYR, and that offset the purchase of the Xonar and then some.

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #14,660 of 48,578
I myself ordered a Xonar U3. Was missing Dolby headphone with all this PC gaming. THX Tru Studio is good, but not as immersive, and not as good at rear cues.That, and the constant resetting of my sound options was getting to me. Hopefully with the Xonar, I won't have to do that, but who knows? Sold the PLYR, and that offset the purchase of the Xonar and then some.
I wonder how that Xonar U3 compares to my Creative ZXR. Looks like a nice little device.

BTW, is that your review on Amazon in regards to the X1? Christian?

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #14,661 of 48,578
Xonar U3? Yuck!

Why can't they just make a USB "sound card" with DH, CMSS3D or THXTSP and optical out...

I'll be doing what I do with my consoles, attaching my headphone amp to the U3's headphone out, using the U3 as a Dolby headphone pre-amp. I'm ONLY using it for gaming and movie files with Dolby encoding. I don't need an expensive device for DH gaming. I'm used to the Mixamp. For $40, it will be fine.

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #14,662 of 48,578
I wonder how that Xonar U3 compares to my Creative ZXR. Looks like a nice little device.

BTW, is that your review on Amazon in regards to the X1? Christian?

Yeah, that's me.

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #14,664 of 48,578
Hi mad lust envy. Your guide is very helpful to me but I still have some questions regarding on which headphone I should get. I now have astro a50 but its mic problem is very annoying when talking quietly . I wonder if byerdynamic dt990 would250ohm pro (160) has better sound than a50? Fun wise. And u said it got strong clamp I also have a m50 and it hurts after 2hours of gaming I wonder if dt990 would hurt as bad? Thank you so much!

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #14,666 of 48,578
Would like to see how the Beyerdynamic Custom Pro One fairs on here. I'm currently looking into these, would love to know how they hold-up for competitive use compared to the Audio Technica-M50 and the AKG K701/K702 which I am also looking into getting. Just can't decide and can't find any good comparison for the AKG to the Custom Pro One on all levels, including competitive.

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #14,667 of 48,578
Jun 23, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #14,668 of 48,578
Quote:
Hi mad lust envy. Your guide is very helpful to me but I still have some questions regarding on which headphone I should get. I now have astro a50 but its mic problem is very annoying when talking quietly . I wonder if byerdynamic dt990 would250ohm pro (160) has better sound than a50? Fun wise. And u said it got strong clamp I also have a m50 and it hurts after 2hours of gaming I wonder if dt990 would hurt as bad? Thank you so much!

I can wear the DT990s for long periods of time, with no problems, but you want to use them at least a half-way decent amp.

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #14,669 of 48,578
Quote:
I would go external, because all the PC's ultra high frequency signals can and will influence the analog signal on the soundcard when it is created from the DAC. I have the new external Xonar U7. It takes the digital audio signal from the USB port and does all the processing and the analog amplification outside of the internal noise storm of the PC. It is far better than a U3 and nearly as good as Xonar STX.

Frankly, I do feel that gets overblown at times. Didn't really notice any difference between a Titanium HD and JDS Labs-built ODAC once volume-matched.

It COULD be a factor, but I'm not sure it's one that warrants $300+ external DACs with S/PDIF input. (I simply cannot do without internal sound cards, for gaming reasons. I already have far too many games designed with sound card DSPs in mind.)

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #14,670 of 48,578
Hey Must Love Envy, should I purchase the Mediabridge 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable for my X1's? Would it effect sound quality in a positive way? Also, should I be worried about the cable jack eventually failing? Last of all, do you think the ear pads will last a long time? I've read that they are not removable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back