Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 23, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #14,641 of 48,578
Quote:
Then again, unlike other folks in this thread I gotta have my mids. I can't imagine someone who likes the D7000 to not like the TH-900.

Likewise, I gotta have my midrange and my sweet vocals. That's what keeps me coming back to that old SR-Lambda (along with its ludicrous comfort). Not even the SR-202 compares, surprising as that may sound; it's almost like an electrostatic HE-400 in that it sounds a tad recessed there, enough for vocals to drop back behind everything else.

The problem I have is that I'm not sure what else is out there that aligns with my tastes. The Koss ESP/950 seems like a safe bet, but it's not cheap...not since that $350 eBay auction a year or two ago...

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #14,642 of 48,578
Sweet mids are K702 Anniversary, HD650, LCD2. Those are the main 3 as far as mids go for me. The ESP950 too, but that build quality is absolutely atrocious, and that loose fit was just.... not right.

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #14,644 of 48,578
I haven't reviewed them, because I haven't had much time with them, and haven't put them through all forms of gaming yet. They're at LEAST an 8, which means they will more than likely be my top recommendation for all rounders. Like I said, stop dwelling so much on scores. The difference between an 8 and 10 is not gonna make or break a headphone.

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #14,645 of 48,578
Thanks Mad lust for the replies. 

Okay so its sounding like i need to go for a direct soundcard for my PC.   I know you recommended 2 items like the xonar x3.  Is that gonna be just as good as say a 100 dollar sound card?  Like i said i have a friend that will sell me his x-fi titanium for 50 bucks, is that a good card, or deal to go for, or is that card to old now? Or will the xonar x3 do just as good. Keep in mind i don't have room for sound cards to be placed in PCI near the video cards.  SO it has to fit the PC slot above the cards, the little one. 

And is there any other alternatives to the DSS for my external devices? Seems like that item is discontinued maybe? And I really hate buying things off ebay, i just don't trust it. 

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #14,646 of 48,578
Quote:
Also i have a friend willing to sell me a Sound Blaster  X-fi Titanium Fatality pro gamer's choice, for 50 bucks,  Is that a good deal? Is this card still good today to use? 

I'd say that's about the right price for a Titanium (non-HD) of any kind. Go for it.

Quote:
Soundcards won't pass virtual surround to external devices.

My experience suggests otherwise with X-Fi cards. They pass through CMSS-3D Headphone over S/PDIF just fine; you just have to know how to set it up properly.

Other sound cards may vary.

Quote:
Sweet mids are K702 Anniversary, HD650, LCD2. Those are the main 3 as far as mids go for me. The ESP950 too, but that build quality is absolutely atrocious, and that loose fit was just.... not right.

But you see, it's BECAUSE the ESP/950 has a loose fit that I want it, along with the talk of its sound quality. (Just so long as the bloody thing doesn't start squealing on me...)

My SR-Lambda also has a loose fit, enough that headbanging will shake it loose and have it fall off your head. It helps immensely with long-term comfort because it doesn't feel like there's a vice on my head. The Nova/numerical Lambdas like the SR-407 you tried have a significantly increased clamping force that really hurts comfort in the long run, and that's no good for gaming.

It's something I've consistently noticed with headphones. The looser ones like AD700s and vintage Lambdas always end up being more comfortable for me.

Of course, I've never had any ears-on time with your main 3, and my wallet's reluctant to find out the hard way whether they'd be suitable alternatives if something happens to the world's Normal bias SR-Lambda supply or not.

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #14,647 of 48,578
I dunno about those soundcards, and you would definitely be the one to answer. All I know is that if he wanted to pass a 5.1 dolby digital signal FROM a sound card to the Mixamp, he'd have to make sure it was doable, as some cards don't (like mine). And you can't accept and external input and 'filter' it through the soundcard and back out.

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #14,648 of 48,578
Quote:
Thanks Mad lust for the replies. 

Okay so its sounding like i need to go for a direct sound card for my PC.   I know you recommended 2 items like the xonar x3.  Is that gonna be just as good as say a 100 dollar sound card?  Like i said i have a friend that will sell me his X-fi Titanium for 50 bucks, is that a good card, or deal to go for, or is that card to old now? Or will the xonar x3 do just as good. Keep in mind i don't have room for sound cards to be placed in PCI near the video cards.  SO it has to fit the PC slot above the cards, the little one. 

And is there any other alternatives to the DSS for my external devices? Seems like that item is discontinued maybe? And I really hate buying things off ebay, i just don't trust it. 

I'm assuming you mean Xonar U3, not Xonar X3.

I'm guessing that little slot above the cards is a PCI-E 1X slot, good place for the Titanium sound card.

The Titanium (non-HD) sound card should provide better audio quality (and features) then the external USB Xonar U3.
$50 for the Titanium (non-HD) is a fair price, hopefully it comes with the original install disk

Turn off "disable" the motherboard's on-board audio (in the bios) when you stall the Titanium.

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #14,649 of 48,578
I only said the U3 in case he wanted a simple usb card with Dolby Headphone. Internal is the way to go if you have a desktop.

Jun 23, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #14,650 of 48,578
I would go external, because all the PC's ultra high frequency signals can and will influence the analog signal on the soundcard when it is created from the DAC. I have the new external Xonar U7. It takes the digital audio signal from the USB port and does all the processing and the analog amplification outside of the internal noise storm of the PC. It is far better than a U3 and nearly as good as Xonar STX.

Jun 23, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #14,651 of 48,578
Where did you get the U7? I looked and couldn't find anyone selling it.

Also, I thought it had "Dolby home theater v.4" but that it didn't actually include Dolby Headphone?

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #14,653 of 48,578
Where did you get the U7? I looked and couldn't find anyone selling it.

Also, I thought it had "Dolby home theater v.4" but that it didn't actually include Dolby Headphone?

Apparently asked a rep, and Home Theater V4 has Dolby headphone.... APPARENTLY. It's kind of like THX tru Studio, in that it's a software program for all types of audio, with the virtual surround included. Dolby may be doing away with limiting the name to just associate itself with 'Headphone'.

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #14,654 of 48,578
Got it from the UK, but it is available all over Europe. And it is damn good.

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #14,655 of 48,578
Quote:
Likewise, I gotta have my midrange and my sweet vocals. That's what keeps me coming back to that old SR-Lambda (along with its ludicrous comfort). Not even the SR-202 compares, surprising as that may sound; it's almost like an electrostatic HE-400 in that it sounds a tad recessed there, enough for vocals to drop back behind everything else.  
The problem I have is that I'm not sure what else is out there that aligns with my tastes. The Koss ESP/950 seems like a safe bet, but it's not cheap...not since that $350 eBay auction a year or two ago...

I guess we're some of the few gamers that use ES headphones, though my transition has been a little more recent and sudden. The resolution is somewhat unreal, even when compared to the top dynamic headphones (e.g. HD 800), mostly due to how smooth they are in presentation.

I've made peace with the lack of "body" in the bass relative to traditional dynamics since I've realized the latter's body is really just distortion, plus ever since my lasting fling with AT I just don't care about phat bass anymore.
Quote:

My time with the latter two suggests that you prefer a sound with less upper-midrange/lower-treble emphasis (i.e. compared to something that is strong there like an AT)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back