Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #13,231 of 48,562
Just received jazzerdave's ESP 950. :)

Man... these things feel like they're made out of styrofoam. Seriously. It weighs next to nothing and doesn't inspire any confidence in it's build quality. These definitely feel like they need to be babied. That's not too bothersome for me, as I take real good care of my cans overall. Clamp? What clamp? These are incredibly loose fitting, though not Audio Technica wing design loose. Not as much clamp as I'd like (I tend to like some sense of being secured on my head), but it's still better than the AT wings. The pads are made of the cheapest pleather like material usually found on budget headphones. At least it's thick enough to where it's not offensive in comfort, but it's definitely the kind of material I hate the most on pads. Overall, the ridiculously non-existent weight and little clamp make these are pretty decently comfortable headphone that may have been one of the MOST comfortable headphones if they used better pads.

The volume adjustment is a downright pain in the neck. Why? I have a LOT of OCD tendencies, and well, each side has it's own volume adjustment, so you'll have to match decibel level by ear. It's not too problematic, but as I tend to constantly adjust volume between songs, well, now I have to resort to making these a little louder than my listening level, and adjusting with my PC's volume control. I think just for the sake of this headphone, I'll set my Compass 2's dac to pre-amp out than line level out, just so I can use it's volume control. In the end, while I'm pretty good at setting volume properly, I would prefer a machine to match the levels and not by my own ears. Oh well. I guess that's another good reason to modify the extension cable to use with Stax amps, as FWIS, have just one master volume.

Okay, so how do they sound? To put it as simply as possible: They sound like open Mad Dogs. Seriously, that's is almost exactly what they remind me of. Doesn't have the weigh or body in the sound as the LCD2, but it is incredibly neutral sounding, with some warmth/darkness. If you like the Mad Dogs, the ESP 950 is the closest thing I've heard in terms of tonal balance. That is actually a very, very good thing. As the biggest shortcoming of the Mad Dogs is that they're closed, which means closed sounding. The move to an open design already has so many benefits over closed, which I won't discuss as you guys should know all this by now. No reason you WON'T love the ESP 950 if you like the MD.

The main worry sound-wise: How's the bass? Hmm... neutral, slightly bass light. It lacks a little presence and lacks impact. The Stax SR-407 definitely, definitely has more bass in both presence, impact, and weight.

The mids? Sublime. You can absolutely tell the mids are are the main focus point of the ESP 950. They are beautifully present and natural sounding, without a doubt. They're not as romantic and intimate as the LCD2, but they are wonderful.

The treble: Smooth, completely non-fatiguing, and honestly probably MY personal point in preference out of anything I've heard. Not SR-407 level clear or pristine, but it's soft, and without veil. The LCD2 sounds harsher, if that can be believed. I don't think they lack treble or air, but I guess technically, they are slightly glazed over.

This is without a doubt the most neutral headphone I have ever heard, just lacking a teeny bit of body in the bass and could be slightly brighter (not an issue, as I personally prefer a warmth/dark coloration) to make it COMPLETELY neutral in my ears. It's a grand headphone from what I hear so far, but it's not a headphone that suits my specific tastes overall. This one is more of a technical headphone than a musical one, IMHO. If pure technicality and neutrality is what you want, the ESP-950 makes one hell of a case.

Is it boring? Absolutely not. It still has plenty of emotion, but it's a bit too flat sounding to me for the most part. I still do enjoy it immensely, but not as much the LCD2 or SR407 in comparison.

I know that's a bit long for a first impression, but there you have it. Oh yeah, either the Koss amp or the headphone itself retains some static noise with nothing playing, and it's a bit random. The headphone can STILL make some very slight noise right after even when unplugged. I guess I can now eat my words and say that there can definitely be an improvement over this amp, at least in terms of noise. Not something I've heard from anything else, but it could be my outlet/extension cord, etc. I'll play around and find out.
It's absolutely not a dealbreaker, as you won't hear it when music plays.

I haven't tried them for gaming yet, but something tells me these are gonna rank quite highly for competitive use.

Apr 25, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #13,232 of 48,562
2 hours ago
stevoo333
Hi I'm wondering if you can help me? I came across a pair of vintage phones I have no clue about them or what they are worth or anything looking for any I for any information. They are Signet electret stereophones TK44 there is also a black box that I got with them it says its an adapter has a program light overload and a switch for stereophones or speakers

Apr 25, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #13,233 of 48,562
Damn, the more and more I spend with the nESP 950, the more and more I'm falling in love.

First impressions DEFINITELY need to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm listening to my non-EDM, and I'm in HEAVEN.

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #13,234 of 48,562
"The vocals are.... HNNNNNNG"

Way to make me wish I jumped on that $350 ESP/950 a year back, Mad Lust Envy. Now I REALLY want to audition one of those. (Damn my lack of having enough money at the right time...)

If nothing else, maybe you could give my Stax setup an audition some day and give me an idea of how close or far I am from that ESP/950 experience.

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #13,235 of 48,562
In the end, I'm on an electrostatic kick, and I'm order the KingSound Emperor electrostatic.

New stat and amp for $800 total. And apparently the amp has a bass boost. Moon Audio just put them up for pre-order. Impressions at meets have been very, very positive. Couldn't resist.

Went for it as it's a brand new stat, and the cups are circular. Lol.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/648624/king-sound-emperor-new-electrostatic-headphones

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #13,237 of 48,562
Quote:
In the end, I'm on an electrostatic kick, and I'm order the KingSound Emperor electrostatic.

New stat and amp for $800 total. And apparently the amp has a bass boost. Moon Audio just put them up for pre-order. Impressions at meets have been very, very positive. Couldn't resist.

Hmm...

"King Sound Emperor"?  Hopefully they are on the nicer end of Chinese headphones.

The headband looks awful (looks like they just bent a tube and said "DONE"), but at least it has circular pads.

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #13,238 of 48,562
Well, sadly, that is the least appalling stat I've seen that isn't a flagship Stax or Orpheus. The ESP 950 and Stax Lambdas are hideous. The Emperor at least looks like a typical headphone, lol.

Stats sure do sound amazing, but they need some fashion sense.

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #13,239 of 48,562
Quote:
2 hours ago
stevoo333
Hi I'm wondering if you can help me? I came across a pair of vintage phones I have no clue about them or what they are worth or anything looking for any I for any information. They are Signet electret stereophones TK44 there is also a black box that I got with them it says its an adapter has a program light overload and a switch for stereophones or speakers

Your best bet is to Google for the info. I just did a search on the TK44 and ton of info popped up from different websites including some old posts from here. One bit of info i caught was that they first came out in 1983 and run differently when it comes to power requirements compared to other electrostats.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #13,242 of 48,562
At electrostat prices you should be getting something that looks like it's been through more than one design pass.

Most of them look like headphones used by the military during Word War 1/2.

At these prices, where's the attention to detail?  The premium materials? 
It looks like they just slap together a rough working prototype then sell that as the finished product.

Apr 26, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #13,243 of 48,562
i was wondering if it was possbile to put a extension cable from monoprice to the mixamp y-adapter.if i can what type of cable would i need to carry both sound and voice chat?if it cant does anyone know of a extension cable that will work with the steel series siberia v2(the ones on ebay are to short)?

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #13,244 of 48,562
I dont' really like the Emperor look, they look like an entry level toy.

SR-007/009 are the only stax I like in appearance. 

QFT. Sadly, I can't afford either of those, so I'm stuck with ugly stats that sound amazing as doable choices. Lol.

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #13,245 of 48,562
I dont' really like the Emperor look, they look like an entry level toy.

SR-007/009 are the only stax I like in appearance. 

QFT. Sadly, I can't afford either of those, so I'm stuck with ugly stats that sound amazing as doable choices. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back